boxorox

boxorox

Jul 2, 2014
Wisconsin
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
Revisiting this thread in case someone else has the issue.

Ruby ended up enduring this false pregnancy for about 6-8 weeks. It was very strange. The vet was stumped. Ruby didn't put on any unusual weight, but it was clear that she was producing milk and looked like she was ready to nurse some puppies(nipples were very swollen). She had to visit the vet for other things while this was going on and every time....the vet just needed to do an ultrasound to be sure.
However, we were quite certain that she could not have a "live" pregnancy because she was well beyond a due date. And that due date would have been based on a possible accidental breeding, before we brought her home.

As far as the symptoms: We didn't really notice any behavior issues. It was mainly the milk production that alarmed everyone.
Also, she is now 9-1/2 months and she has not fully gone into heat. When we met her at 5 months, the lady who had her, thought she might be having a silent heat because a couple of her boy bullies were paying extra attention to her. She is scheduled for spay in December. She will be almost 11 months. I think she is full grown now. She has not gained weight or size in a month.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Revisiting this thread in case someone else has the issue.

Ruby ended up enduring this false pregnancy for about 6-8 weeks. It was very strange. The vet was stumped. Ruby didn't put on any unusual weight, but it was clear that she was producing milk and looked like she was ready to nurse some puppies(nipples were very swollen). She had to visit the vet for other things while this was going on and every time....the vet just needed to do an ultrasound to be sure.
However, we were quite certain that she could not have a "live" pregnancy because she was well beyond a due date. And that due date would have been based on a possible accidental breeding, before we brought her home.

As far as the symptoms: We didn't really notice any behavior issues. It was mainly the milk production that alarmed everyone.
Also, she is now 9-1/2 months and she has not fully gone into heat. When we met her at 5 months, the lady who had her, thought she might be having a silent heat because a couple of her boy bullies were paying extra attention to her. She is scheduled for spay in December. She will be almost 11 months. I think she is full grown now. She has not gained weight or size in a month.

That is really interesting, I never knew this type of stuff could happen till I joined this site,. Glad she is doing well and it was all just a false alarm.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Just read his now, glad she turned out to be NOT pregnant:) When I was a kid we had a dog how had false pregnancy, she kept one of her stuffed toys as her puppy, it was cute but sad at the same time:unsure: She used to nest and she licked her toy, I don't remember any other signs as I was just a kid but I've heard it's not unusual:)

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I think the vet was milking you for money with those ultrasounds, false pregnancy isn't that uncommon...

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I had a Shih Tsu, and a kitten. The Shih Tsu had a false pregnancy, got milk, and nursed the kitten. I would find them on my bed together and the kitten nursing. It really was cute! Dogs and cats sure can get along!

OP
boxorox

boxorox

Jul 2, 2014
Wisconsin
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
I think the vet was milking you for money with those ultrasounds, false pregnancy isn't that uncommon...
We were never charged for any of the 3 ultrasounds. I truly think the vet is inexperienced ans was just baffled.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I'm late to this....but I was going to say when I first read it that she would be wayyyy past her due date. I'm glad things worked out and this is a great tool for others that may encounter the same issue. Thanks for sharing!

Most Reactions