boxorox

Jul 2, 2014
Wisconsin
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
This is strange....
We brought Ruby home on July 3. Her papers say her birth date is Jan. 20 2014.

When we visited her on the farm, it was hard to not notice the other very young bulldog that was running loose was trying very hard to hump her.
The breeder said she was probably going into her first season.....
We brought her home 4 days after that visit. She never spotted or anything and has never been around male dogs since we have had her.
I always thought her mammary glands were large and she has very prominent nipples. Her tummy does not sag....she does not look fat...she still has a nice waist and her behavior has not changed dramatically, recently.

Today, I went home for lunch and let her out of her kennel to go potty. When she got outside she laid in the grass. I rolled her over and to my dismay, I saw that her top most nipples are much bigger.....
When I let her back in the house she went directly to her kennel. She moaned a few times, which is out of the ordinary.
She has been to the vet several times, but obviously, we never asked if she could be pregnant....I always had the strange feeling or imagination about it.

If my calculations are correct, she would be due...like any day. But, like I said, other than her breasts and nipples, she does not look pregnant. But thinking about it, she could have one or 2 tucked up in there somewhere.

Please tell me I am just imagining something.....Wouldn't I be able to easily see if she was pregnant and near due?

Thoughts?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Joe, I'm sorry I have no experience with this, but BullMama, (Lisa), or David do, and I will tag them for you.
I would think it could be possible for her to be pregnant as she is 7 months old, so she could have had her first heat already. I would take her to the vet, and have her checked out, he would be able to tell if she was pregnant or not.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
I would take her to the vets too as as you possibly could to see if she is pregnant or not and to have her checked over for a peace of mind

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I am guessing she has very active hormones right now at her age, but her behavior does seem a little odd. She could be ready to come into heat.

Pinch (or actually milk them) her nipples, and if there is liquid coming out she is most likely pregnant. If she is due any day then there should be some colostrum.

Her "girly bits" will also be very large and saggy, ready for birthing.

OP
boxorox

boxorox

Jul 2, 2014
Wisconsin
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
Thanks for the feedback and I am feeling a little ill thinking about this.....
I will check her better when I get done with work...and probably get her to the vet again.

It's probably my imagination, but her top nipples actually look like she has just begun nursing...not long, but never the less. Geezus, my imagination is just running crazy now. I remember the breeder said she had intended to breed her, and she was kept with a more mature pair for a bit. :bad: So young for this if it's true.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
When they have their first heat cycle, their nipples will get larger. But to be on the safe side, I would take her to the vet to make sure. I hope she isn't as this is too young to be having pups, as you know.

BoldDeGuard

Aug 4, 2014
Montana
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir BoldDeGuard
Don't panic!I just went through this with my lab ;-) your girl sounds like she is going into her first heat. In my short 1 1/2 year experience with a young unfixed female, has been the same. Her nipples start growing HUGE from the top two down over a several week period of time. Her personality changes drasticaly, she sleeps constantly and becomes overly sensitive, sometimes she is starved and sometimes she looses her appitite all together. I'm my babies case, her first two heats were at 6 mo and 9 months :0 at which time she had false pregnancies. Yes, fun.......

I really don't think she would be pregnant, many dogs (what the vet said to me) don't even bleed the first or second time. Also heats last 30 days so it isn't till the end where they are fertile as well as they simply don't accept boys till that time. Your girl is young and most likely just now entering her first heat. Your fine, but don't let her go potty off leash and watch her like a hawk. Boys WILL come from miles around to woo her.

Good luck! hahahahaha sorry my girls cycles are 3 months apart STILL!!!!
Ps human panties and maxi pads are much cheaper as well as they look really cute rocking pink leapord print like no one else!

Oh and the chances of her being pregnant without help is next to nothing. so no worries!

OP
boxorox

boxorox

Jul 2, 2014
Wisconsin
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
Well, I wasn't imagining anything. But Ruby was.

We took her to the vet. The vet was perplexed. All signs pointed to pregnancy, but the possibility was so slim and she would be imminently due to deliver.
So the vet did an ultra-sound and found no puppies. The diagnosis is false pregnancy. Strange, but not uncommon.

She is producing milk, so....if anyone has any puppies that need to be nursed, you can send them our way!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Wow… I'm just now reading this, and I was going to say that maybe it was a "false" pregnancy. I've never dealt w/this before w/Bella, but I have heard that it's pretty common…

- - - Updated - - -

OP
boxorox

boxorox

Jul 2, 2014
Wisconsin
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
It's so strange. She keeps trying to build a nest with the bathmat we keep in her kennel. I'm waiting for her to gather-up her monkey and frog for a feeding. I guess we will humor her until she gets through it, but I am not running to the store in the middle of the night to get her icecream.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
It's so strange. She keeps trying to build a nest with the bathmat we keep in her kennel. I'm waiting for her to gather-up her monkey and frog for a feeding. I guess we will humor her until she gets through it, but I am not running to the store in the middle of the night to get her icecream.

Why not? :rofl:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

what about pickles.... :D

so glad it all turned out well.

Julzz9170

Apr 15, 2014
New jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fatso, Romeo
I was going to suggest a false pregnancy..my parents had a pit bull that had one and carried around a soft football that she thought was her puppy

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.