Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Im at my wits ends with Lilly! Dry food , wet food , complete raw food all hand feed -only not to be interested in anything i want to cry for her but it is time for both of us to get a grip and man up -i calculated how much we are currently spending a month just to feed Diva aka Lilly -£100-£120 -enough is enough
Im going to put dry food down leave it for 10 min and then take it away -but im heart broken as mummy girl is losing weight :-(
Also we had a full check up at the vets ...all ok
Not sure what else to do xx

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I was having this problem with Frankie. He was not interested in his food. Mostly his AM feeding. I started a thead about it. I tried everything, including switching his food, adding broth, I drew the line when one night he was once again turning his nose up to his food and I put cut up a pork chop left over from dinner on his food and he ate it in 3 seconds flat!! From that point on, I knew he was just being a brat, and I started doing what you stated. I would offer the food and if he did not eat it in a timely fashion, up it went and he did not get it until dinner time. I did this for about a week and low and behold he decided that he would eat his breakdfast. Good luck, our babies really can become spoiled and it is up to us to say enough.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Oh man Pati, we're going through the same thing. I have Blue on an Rx food for his allergies. He started getting better than BAM, he caught kennel cough (now the vets saying it was influenza) and he stopped eating. I had to boil hamburger and rice.
Now that he's much better, he won't touch his food. I switched to boiled chicken and have been using it as a topper but it defeats the purpose of having him on an prescription formula.

I was told that when he gets hungry enough, he'll eat. This is true- but he won't finish even a cup. He eats the bare minimum so he doesn't feel hungry then walks away. I even tried going back to Fromms Salmon Tunalini (he use to love it) but nope. Then I tried a new formula all together (canidae grain free pure sea, the wet food) and he wouldn't touch it either.

All I can say is find a topper and mix it in. Then slowly decrease the amount of the topper. That's what we're trying to do now.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Pati, I don't have any experience with this. My bullies aren't picky for any food. Lol. They will inhale anything put in front of them. I agree with Blueberry's Mom, she will eat eventually, as she will get hungry. Try the toppers, does she like vegetables? I often put cooked veggies like broccoli, carrots, green beans, cauliflower, or whatever we are having for dinner that day on the evening kibble, they love this. I also add warm water to the kibble, it's makes it softer, and makes a kind of gravy for them. Good luck, I hope she starts to eat soon.

OP
Pati Robins

Pati Robins

Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh man Pati, we're going through the same thing. I have Blue on an Rx food for his allergies. He started getting better than BAM, he caught kennel cough (now the vets saying it was influenza) and he stopped eating. I had to boil hamburger and rice.
Now that he's much better, he won't touch his food. I switched to boiled chicken and have been using it as a topper but it defeats the purpose of having him on an prescription formula.

I was told that when he gets hungry enough, he'll eat. This is true- but he won't finish even a cup. He eats the bare minimum so he doesn't feel hungry then walks away. I even tried going back to Fromms Salmon Tunalini (he use to love it) but nope. Then I tried a new formula all together (canidae grain free pure sea, the wet food) and he wouldn't touch it either.

All I can say is find a topper and mix it in. Then slowly decrease the amount of the topper. That's what we're trying to do now.

Good luck and keep us updated.

This is how lilly is like -for a long time she would eat bare minimum and since forever we had this problem -i got to try tough love ;-(

OP
Pati Robins

Pati Robins

Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Hi Pati, I don't have any experience with this. My bullies aren't picky for any food. Lol. They will inhale anything put in front of them. I agree with Blueberry's Mom, she will eat eventually, as she will get hungry. Try the toppers, does she like vegetables? I often put cooked veggies like broccoli, carrots, green beans, cauliflower, or whatever we are having for dinner that day on the evening kibble, they love this. I also add warm water to the kibble, it's makes it softer, and makes a kind of gravy for them. Good luck, I hope she starts to eat soon.

Hi hun i tried toppers , softening kibble , feeding posh (shes on it now) wet complete food alone and shes getting worse ...ahhhh its all my fault xx

OP
Pati Robins

Pati Robins

Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
I was having this problem with Frankie. He was not interested in his food. Mostly his AM feeding. I started a thead about it. I tried everything, including switching his food, adding broth, I drew the line when one night he was once again turning his nose up to his food and I put cut up a pork chop left over from dinner on his food and he ate it in 3 seconds flat!! From that point on, I knew he was just being a brat, and I started doing what you stated. I would offer the food and if he did not eat it in a timely fashion, up it went and he did not get it until dinner time. I did this for about a week and low and behold he decided that he would eat his breakdfast. Good luck, our babies really can become spoiled and it is up to us to say enough.

Did you have only problem with Frankie eating his breakfast? Or was it with afternoon/evening meal as well?
I cant keep hand feeding a picky dog that wont even eat from my hand now - i done it to myself by being too soft on her when she was younger and refused to eat (eat bare minimum) and was losing weight x

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Yes he would not eat his AM meal. I was doing everything I could to get him to eat and it was driving me crazy. He finally got the message.

OP
Pati Robins

Pati Robins

Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
281ajuu.jpg

thank you everyone
Diva vs food day one report

i put the food down
she sat and looked at me clueless ....
i walked out
she sat and sat and sat ...then eventually walked to the plate and ...eat two pieces....

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
281ajuu.jpg

thank you everyone
Diva vs food day one report

i put the food down
she sat and looked at me clueless ....
i walked out
she sat and sat and sat ...then eventually walked to the plate and ...eat two pieces....

((sigh)) come on Lilly , we are all sending lots of positive thoughts and prayers to you an Mum!

OP
Pati Robins

Pati Robins

Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Day 31 -i think she finally got it!
And retrained me
1) Food got to be dry (yesss!!! James wellbeloved -in uk classed as good food -yeasty wrinkles are cleared in no time)
2) food got to be served with a small topper - be it a bit of sauce from my dinner!

3) food have to be served from the floor - taste better than from her bowl

4) after staring at the food and falling asleep i got to be present and rewash all the dishes -water makes her calm and ready to eat

5) after slowly eating her food walking away to check if Shy is still dribbling - she will check if im still by the sink they lie down and try to have a nap

6) i got to stop her from napping reminding her why we are in the kitchen amongst all the dog food and saliva

7) she eats again -once finish she will scratch my leg to let me know my dishwashing duty is now over and she then give me a kiss

I AM HOUSETRAINED BY A BULLDOG x

7b7c291a8760781b6fc35391a0ee78b6.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OMG... You are a tough train. ;)

julescoffman

Sep 26, 2014
florence sc
Bulldog(s) Names
Jasmine and Ruger
I have a bearded dragon that got sick,we had to hand feed him for weeks,now he will not eat unless we hand feed him! We are going on 3 weeks of tough love,nope! Still won't eat unless I hand feed him,so this mommy is giving in and hand feeding him tomorrow! Si the beardie wins:)
Sent from my PM23300 using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.