TV Show" Lucky Dog". Episode about a Bulldog mix- What shows won't do for ratings.. sigh..

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Yesterday morning, they did an episode on an English Bulldog mix who was going to be adopted out to a very active owner that loves to hike. One of the pre-reqs for adoption though, was making sure "Popcorn" (bulldogs name) was up to hiking.

So here comes Brandom Mcmillan- Animal expert. He works with Popcorn, getting his stamina up, making sure the dog will be able to keep up with his new "mom".

Thing is, why would anyone recommend a bulldog (even a bulldog mix) to an active person? I mean go get a collie or what not. But a bullie? Really? How does someone who calls himself an "animal expert", justify this?
I was watching the episode with my mouth hanging open, screaming at the TV the entire time. Just completely irresponsible of the show to do this.

Can't express enough how livid I am that they're promoting an English Bulldog as the type of breed you can "train" to be active with. What happens when Popcorn gets older? Or gets too hot from these hikes and overheats? This breeds unfortunate physiology just doesn't allow excessive exercise. Wouldn't an "Animal Expert" know this??!

And what's going to happen to Popcorn (now renamed Monkey by his new owner) when he gets older and can't keep up?
Or all the people who watched this episode, and now think Bulldogs can be trained to be hikers/runners?

I didn't even think it was possible for a do good animal show to be so irresponsible, but these idiots just created future generations of abandoned and sick dogs.

Congrats Lucky Dog and CBS- What you've done for ratings is beyond disgusting.

Here's the link to Popcorn aka Monkey on FB: https://www.facebook.com/CBSLuckyDog?fref=nf

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Horrible… It seems nowadays ANYBODY is an "animal expert". It makes me angry the way that people just believe everything that they see on TV, and don't even bother doing the research themselves. When I was looking for a new vet & trainer this last go around, I just listened to what they had to say regarding the EBD breed. When I realized we were on the same page, I knew that I had found the right people for my babies. Of course the worse thing is that more people will search for EBD w/out understand the needs of the breed… and decide they want to go "hiking" w/them. :chapped:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Wow that is very disappointing! :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I've seen this show a couple times and didn't know it was still on the air. I wonder if we could write to the producers of the show with out concerns? I know it seems futile but maybe it can prevent something like that happening again. This really is a terrible shame. We all know that a bulldog cannot be "trained" to be active, especially hiking of all things. I hope the owner of this dog will realize that she cannot and should not subject her dog to such physical rigors. I feel very bad for this dog.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Just read this comment on the FB post that you linked, Ellen: (was that you that wrote this, [MENTION=7457]Blueberrys Mom[/MENTION])?

How shortsighted and shallow can a person be to try to make an English Bulldog mix into a hiking/running dog. Get a lab, get a Border Collie for Christ sakes. This is like wanting to run the Grand Prix of Monaco with a John Deere tractor. I am sitting here yelling at the TV.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I see that they had Banfield Pet Hospital check the dog out. Did they not tell the vet where the dog was going? Why didn't the vet tell them that this was NOT a "hiking" kind of dog? I don't get that show-so I don't know if the vet knows the situation..... Who trained the "dog trainer?" Dumb and Dumber?

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I've seen this show a couple times and didn't know it was still on the air. I wonder if we could write to the producers of the show with out concerns? I know it seems futile but maybe it can prevent something like that happening again. This really is a terrible shame. We all know that a bulldog cannot be "trained" to be active, especially hiking of all things. I hope the owner of this dog will realize that she cannot and should not subject her dog to such physical rigors. I feel very bad for this dog.

I emailed the network (CBS) about this. Doubt anything's gonna happen though.

Just read this comment on the FB post that you linked, Ellen: (was that you that wrote this, @Blueberrys Mom)?

How shortsighted and shallow can a person be to try to make an English Bulldog mix into a hiking/running dog. Get a lab, get a Border Collie for Christ sakes. This is like wanting to run the Grand Prix of Monaco with a John Deere tractor. I am sitting here yelling at the TV.

No, that wasn't my quote. I just "liked" it on FB. My quote is further down the page. I commented on another post about Popcorn that Lucky Dog posted on August 29th. They also deleted one of my posts (I had two).

I see that they had Banfield Pet Hospital check the dog out. Did they not tell the vet where the dog was going? Why didn't the vet tell them that this was NOT a "hiking" kind of dog? I don't get that show-so I don't know if the vet knows the situation..... Who trained the "dog trainer?" Dumb and Dumber?

I don't remember? But I don't think it makes a difference. There is no way this "expert" didn't know that this wasn't a good idea. It's just all about ratings. I mean did you see all the "ooh's and aww's" this episode received on FB? It's just crazy.
It's obvious people don't understand what a bad idea this was.
Like you said "Dumb and Dumber".

RalphieBoy

Community Veteran
Jul 1, 2014
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Emmitt
It's all about the money. I cannot get the show but I found popcorn on the CBS Lucky Dogs website. It wouldn't pull up the episode just a picture. I agree with Henny on the John Deere tractor. We have the Appalachian Trail in our back door. And have talked about taking the boys hiking but I'm afraid the drive over with the air conditioner blowing on them the ride alone might wear them out. English Bulldog Hiking? I'm not on Facebook. Do you have an email for that approving Hospital I would love to write them. I can see approving the boys to hike with me. But I have had seven hip replacements. Blueberry will you give me more info on that trainer and or Banfield Hospital? Thank you

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I just wrote a comment on their FB page… some people are VERY angry about this as well.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
some 'expert' .... all about the rating and the $$$ care nothing of the poor Bully.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.