New bulldog owner in need of suggestions!!

nw536

Aug 30, 2014
Hello! I have just found this site and I am so thankful I have!!! My family has just added another member.. Lou Lou, she is 7 weeks old and super sweet! I have two issues I am dealing with I'd like some suggestions with;

1: teething!! My goodness, Her teeth are sharp!! We have given her hard toys and soft toys and sticks, she prefers us! Haha.. Any suggestions on helping us survive the teething process?

2: ants!! Lou Lou loves to play in the grass after she does her business and when we allow her to do so, I'm fighting the ants off her and she has big bites on her tummy.. My question is, is there something I can use to kill the ants that will be safe enough for Lou Lou?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409446324.620232.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409446324.620232.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 201
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409446412.252952.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409446412.252952.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 198
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409446635.669246.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409446635.669246.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 199

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
First welcome to Ebn. Second, you have a beautiful family.

To take care of the ants use boiling water or you can use corn starch that will help. Keep Lou Lou away from the site. Again welcome.

I hope the ants are not the siaphu (?sp) variety.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Welcome!

Teething will be a huge problem for awhile, it gets better when they actually start losing their baby teeth around 5 months. Redirect and keep giving those toys to save yourself! Lol

I yelp really loud when the bite, it helps for most puppies but my latest one it didn't really help too much....

For ants I put Amdro on the nest -- but it's poisonous to dogs so I cover the nest and the Amdro with a huge clay pot for a week. This way the ants still take the bait but my dogs cannot get to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
You have Beautiful Twins and Your Lou Lou is Just Beautiful also Welcome to EBN

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Yep like others have said, just redirect with a toy every time she wants to bite you. It just takes time and patience. Plus Amdro is a good ant bait and the clay pot over it is a great idea. Boiling water on the mound works great also.

Miami927

Jul 21, 2014
Indiana
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Miami & Maddox
Welcome! Cute pics :) I agree with the others about the biting. I'm going through it too(17 week old) and I can tell you it does get better. Make sure you redirect and always be consistent. Make sure everyone knows how you are training her so she knows it's not ok and hears the same thing every time she bites her new family.

RalphieBoy

Community Veteran
Jul 1, 2014
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Emmitt
I told Weesie that I diffidently have a policy I WILL NOT spoil these boys. Plain and simple. And I have held firm. The boys come home at 6-7 weeks and I found out they have really sharp teeth. Especially when they would sink them into my skin. So in order to Hold Firm what I did/do was hold a bully stick in each hand and let them chew on the sticks as I hold them. They will tire themselves out chewing on the sticks versus my skin. We have found 5 baby teeth and now the permanent teeth are about all in. So holding a toy or a bone for them to chew on got us through the sharp baby teeth. And I only have to hold the bone in each hand for 1 1/2 to 2 hours per night. And again not spoiling just saving skin. Remember I have my policy..... No spoiling....

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
:welcome2: to EBN!!! LOVE the pics, you have an adorable familyā€¦ Teething can be an issue, but they will outgrow it. In the meantime like other have stated, just redirect her to a chew or doggie toy. I've never had issues w/the ants, but you have been given some great tips. Good Luck!!!

OP
nw536

nw536

Aug 30, 2014
Thank you all very much for the tips and the compliments!! I will give them a shot!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What a beautiful family you have..... congrats on your new little girl!

:welcome3: to EBN!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I told Weesie that I diffidently have a policy I WILL NOT spoil these boys. Plain and simple. And I have held firm. The boys come home at 6-7 weeks and I found out they have really sharp teeth. Especially when they would sink them into my skin. So in order to Hold Firm what I did/do was hold a bully stick in each hand and let them chew on the sticks as I hold them. They will tire themselves out chewing on the sticks versus my skin. We have found 5 baby teeth and now the permanent teeth are about all in. So holding a toy or a bone for them to chew on got us through the sharp baby teeth. And I only have to hold the bone in each hand for 1 1/2 to 2 hours per night. And again not spoiling just saving skin. Remember I have my policy..... No spoiling....

:rofl: I like that -- too funny

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
Hello! I have just found this site and I am so thankful I have!!! My family has just added another member.. Lou Lou, she is 7 weeks old and super sweet! I have two issues I am dealing with I'd like some suggestions with;

1: teething!! My goodness, Her teeth are sharp!! We have given her hard toys and soft toys and sticks, she prefers us! Haha.. Any suggestions on helping us survive the teething process?

2: ants!! Lou Lou loves to play in the grass after she does her business and when we allow her to do so, I'm fighting the ants off her and she has big bites on her tummy.. My question is, is there something I can use to kill the ants that will be safe enough for Lou Lou?

We use Diatomaceous Earth (food grade) to kill the ants around the house. I don't believe it is toxic to dogs. We line the windows and doors with it.

OP
nw536

nw536

Aug 30, 2014
Does that work in the yard? That's where the ants are. I never realized how many ant mounds we had outside until getting Lou Lou and trying to keep her from getting attacked!!

Enjnene

Sep 25, 2013
Ar
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastian
What a doll !!!

BulldogMomma

Mar 18, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King George
She is a doll! What a precious family! George went through some terrible teething & we found that telling him no (terribly hard for this professional spoiler haha) & giving him one of his antlers was the best. We use the big elk antlers you can find at your pet store. They are on the expensive side, but the saved our hands and furniture! Have fun while she is little! They grow up fast!!

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.