Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New bulldog owner in need of suggestions!!

Default New bulldog owner in need of suggestions!!

Hello! I have just found this site and I am so thankful I have!!! My family has just added another member.. Lou Lou, she is 7 weeks old and super sweet! I have two issues I am dealing with I'd like some suggestions with;

1: teething!! My goodness, Her teeth are sharp!! We have given her hard toys and soft toys and sticks, she prefers us! Haha.. Any suggestions on helping us survive the teething process?

2: ants!! Lou Lou loves to play in the grass after she does her business and when we allow her to do so, I'm fighting the ants off her and she has big bites on her tummy.. My question is, is there something I can use to kill the ants that will be safe enough for Lou Lou?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -imageuploadedbytapatalk1409446324-620232-jpg   -imageuploadedbytapatalk1409446412-252952-jpg   -imageuploadedbytapatalk1409446635-669246-jpg  

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Roger
    Country
    USA
    Somewhere in the Universe. Wish you were here!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jewel and Bentley
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: New bulldog owner in need of suggestions!!

First welcome to Ebn. Second, you have a beautiful family.

To take care of the ants use boiling water or you can use corn starch that will help. Keep Lou Lou away from the site. Again welcome.

I hope the ants are not the siaphu (?sp) variety.

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Welcome!

Teething will be a huge problem for awhile, it gets better when they actually start losing their baby teeth around 5 months. Redirect and keep giving those toys to save yourself! Lol

I yelp really loud when the bite, it helps for most puppies but my latest one it didn't really help too much....

For ants I put Amdro on the nest -- but it's poisonous to dogs so I cover the nest and the Amdro with a huge clay pot for a week. This way the ants still take the bait but my dogs cannot get to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Susan Moore
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Elmo
    Likes (Received)

You have Beautiful Twins and Your Lou Lou is Just Beautiful also Welcome to EBN

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

Yep like others have said, just redirect with a toy every time she wants to bite you. It just takes time and patience. Plus Amdro is a good ant bait and the clay pot over it is a great idea. Boiling water on the mound works great also.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Real Name
    Tanya
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Miami & Maddox
    Likes (Received)

Welcome! Cute pics I agree with the others about the biting. I'm going through it too(17 week old) and I can tell you it does get better. Make sure you redirect and always be consistent. Make sure everyone knows how you are training her so she knows it's not ok and hears the same thing every time she bites her new family.

Dog Groomer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    X
    Likes (Received)

I told Weesie that I diffidently have a policy I WILL NOT spoil these boys. Plain and simple. And I have held firm. The boys come home at 6-7 weeks and I found out they have really sharp teeth. Especially when they would sink them into my skin. So in order to Hold Firm what I did/do was hold a bully stick in each hand and let them chew on the sticks as I hold them. They will tire themselves out chewing on the sticks versus my skin. We have found 5 baby teeth and now the permanent teeth are about all in. So holding a toy or a bone for them to chew on got us through the sharp baby teeth. And I only have to hold the bone in each hand for 1 1/2 to 2 hours per night. And again not spoiling just saving skin. Remember I have my policy..... No spoiling....

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

to EBN!!! LOVE the pics, you have an adorable family… Teething can be an issue, but they will outgrow it. In the meantime like other have stated, just redirect her to a chew or doggie toy. I've never had issues w/the ants, but you have been given some great tips. Good Luck!!!

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Thank you all very much for the tips and the compliments!! I will give them a shot!!

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

What a beautiful family you have..... congrats on your new little girl!

to EBN!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RalphieBoy View Post
    I told Weesie that I diffidently have a policy I WILL NOT spoil these boys. Plain and simple. And I have held firm. The boys come home at 6-7 weeks and I found out they have really sharp teeth. Especially when they would sink them into my skin. So in order to Hold Firm what I did/do was hold a bully stick in each hand and let them chew on the sticks as I hold them. They will tire themselves out chewing on the sticks versus my skin. We have found 5 baby teeth and now the permanent teeth are about all in. So holding a toy or a bone for them to chew on got us through the sharp baby teeth. And I only have to hold the bone in each hand for 1 1/2 to 2 hours per night. And again not spoiling just saving skin. Remember I have my policy..... No spoiling....

I like that -- too funny

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Goob
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by nw536 View Post
    Hello! I have just found this site and I am so thankful I have!!! My family has just added another member.. Lou Lou, she is 7 weeks old and super sweet! I have two issues I am dealing with I'd like some suggestions with;

1: teething!! My goodness, Her teeth are sharp!! We have given her hard toys and soft toys and sticks, she prefers us! Haha.. Any suggestions on helping us survive the teething process?

2: ants!! Lou Lou loves to play in the grass after she does her business and when we allow her to do so, I'm fighting the ants off her and she has big bites on her tummy.. My question is, is there something I can use to kill the ants that will be safe enough for Lou Lou?
    We use Diatomaceous Earth (food grade) to kill the ants around the house. I don't believe it is toxic to dogs. We line the windows and doors with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads