Allergic to my bully????

NikkiSchoolcraft

Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston, Hitch, Layla, Sugar Boo
I think I may be allergic to Layla. Everytime she touches my skin for longer than a second or two I get an itchy, burning feeling in that area. This only happens when she actually makes contact with my skin just being around her is fine. :confused: I have 3 bullies but this doesnt happen with the other two. She is my cuddle baby and I cant imagine that changing so I guess Im going to have to start taking Claritin also. How weird is it to be allergic to one but not the others?????

I couldnt imagine not being able to do this anymore....I would rather be itchy!!

583.jpg

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Wow that is odd, does she feel different or have dander? I am visualizing you in a plastic bubble playing on the floor with Layla right now.

LisaRN

Apr 24, 2010
Buffalo NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester
that is strange. I think I am allergic to Chester..since we got him my eyes have itched and I sneeze quite often (similar to what happens when I am around cats). I told my husband, and he said he'd have my mail forwarded to where ever I moved to :p

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
I have been told it's a dander some animals have that we are actually allergic to not necessarily the animal, so yes, perhaps she has whatever that dander is that you are allergic to.

I'm allergic to most cats, but have actually met a couple that didn't bother me at all.
I got my son a Guinea pig once that it ended up both he and I were so allergic to that we had to re-home it, although he had watched a friends g.p. Prior to getting him one and never shows any signs of being allergic.

I wonder if perhaps a bath in a shampoo like selsin blue would be helpful?

Last edited by a moderator:

Lacey28

Community Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Windsor Ontario Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Silva and Stella
My daughter is allergic to cats she is fine with Silva as long as she doesnt lick her. If she licks her arm or leg she will break out in a white bumpy rash and she itches like crazy. I usually goes away quickly. So Silva knows not to lick Addison!

OP
NikkiSchoolcraft

NikkiSchoolcraft

Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston, Hitch, Layla, Sugar Boo
LOL Everything we use to groom comes from CPP. Everything is natural...including her food. She has many allergies herself. We are finally to the point where her skin looks great. This just started happening a couple months ago. I have been in denial until now. :whistle:
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] ....bubble wrap is an idea!!! :lol:

LisaRN

Apr 24, 2010
Buffalo NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester
My daughter is allergic to cats she is fine with Silva as long as she doesnt lick her. If she licks her arm or leg she will break out in a white bumpy rash and she itches like crazy. I usually goes away quickly. So Silva knows not to lick Addison!

Oh yes.. cat dander is one thing.. I itch, sneeze..etc. But cat saliva - I would go into anaphylactic shock with :eek: One time my sister's cat bit me and I was swollen and hives from head to toe :down:

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
Odd but it can happen. if it only just started a little bit ago there has to be a connection. i can't imagine you would all of a sudden get an allergy to her but who knows...

Hugs. Hope you get better or at least can tolerate it so you can snuggle.

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
You should try Claritin. My husband is very allergic to cats, and so whenever he goes to visit his daughter, who has a couple cats, she gives him Claritin and it work great.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I was like this with Bentley. I think it was the texture of his fur because I was not like this with Linus and so far, so good with Truman. But cuddling with Bentley would produce an itchy, red area - that looked a lot like hives. I recommend trying Zyrtec, since it helps specifically with indoor (pet) allergies but nothing has helped me as much as Benadryl, although it makes me tired.

2bulliefamily

Nov 17, 2010
Mobile, AL
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Brodie
[MENTION=939]NikkiSchoolcraft[/MENTION] Maybe you will "grow" out of it. I wonder if you ever get immune to it (if you can tolerate to be around, etc, and around it for a long time). When we 1st got our cat (do not have him any longer), I had some allergy issues but close to 8 - 9 months after, I forgot to take an allergy pill for a couple of days and noticed, no issue so stopped and although I don't have one any longer I can be around any cat with no problems. I hope you find that it is something else, if not stock up on some meds :yes:. Good luck.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
that is strange. I think I am allergic to Chester..since we got him my eyes have itched and I sneeze quite often (similar to what happens when I am around cats). I told my husband, and he said he'd have my mail forwarded to where ever I moved to :p

That would be my reaction... :p
Nikki, I would try some different shampoos to see if that helps get the dander off. Maybe one will work better than another.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.