Need help with Seasonal alopecia.

chemist

Mar 28, 2014
Midwest USA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Beaker
My vet and I think she has Seasonal Flank Alopecia. She had an area of hair loss about the size of a quarter(red underneath). It doesnt look like ring worm and it doesnt stink. Negative under a wood lamp. Now 4 weeks after the original spot it seem to be thinning out in other spot in the area. This is only on one side(flank). I have seen others mention Melotonin as a replacement for sunlight. My vet mentioned it too but more as being proactive for next year. Can I just goto Target and get the 3mg tablets that people use as a sleeping aid? DSC_0047.jpgDSC_0048.jpg

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
Lola had bald spots that werent alopecia (usually is black skin underneath) but more food allergy related. We did try the melatonin human pills but all i could find were mint flavored and Lola wanted no part of those. So we ended up changing foods. Moved off of beef and added some salmon, which I think was the key in growing the hair back. She had HUGE bald spots on her left flank, I thought the hair would never grow back. But it did. Tried to switch to salmon exclusively, but it gave Lola hives. After the hair grew back, we feed boar and bison raw patties. She was bald for about 8 months I'd say. never itchy, never wet.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Our BeBe got it once when she was 5 years old. We didn't do anything for her. Our vet said we could give the Melotonin, but we never did. Her hair did grow back, but it took awhile to do so. I'm not sure about the one on the shelf, but I would think it would be the same. I will take Henny [MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION] who should know.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
My vet and I think she has Seasonal Flank Alopecia. She had an area of hair loss about the size of a quarter(red underneath). It doesnt look like ring worm and it doesnt stink. Negative under a wood lamp. Now 4 weeks after the original spot it seem to be thinning out in other spot in the area. This is only on one side(flank). I have seen others mention Melotonin as a replacement for sunlight. My vet mentioned it too but more as being proactive for next year. Can I just goto Target and get the 3mg tablets that people use as a sleeping aid?View attachment 76314View attachment 76315

Yes, you can get the same melatonin that you find OTC at the store.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Our Bella would get this as well, but it was more a thinning of the hair on both sides of her. It never got red or anything… I would give her benadryl on her really bad days, but honestly as soon as the weather change was over her hair would come back.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
It looks a little red and irritated, which is something you usually don't see with SFA, I would also try benedryl as it looks like a rash toward the shoulder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My vet and I think she has Seasonal Flank Alopecia. She had an area of hair loss about the size of a quarter(red underneath). It doesnt look like ring worm and it doesnt stink. Negative under a wood lamp. Now 4 weeks after the original spot it seem to be thinning out in other spot in the area. This is only on one side(flank). I have seen others mention Melotonin as a replacement for sunlight. My vet mentioned it too but more as being proactive for next year. Can I just goto Target and get the 3mg tablets that people use as a sleeping aid?View attachment 76314View attachment 76315

I did not realize alopecia started out like this... alwasy though it was 'black' spot. interesting

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I thought that with seasonal alopecia skin is black underneath. Are you sure it's not something else?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
One of mine(Carlie) had seasonal alopecia three years ago. she had it on both her sides. Hair loss and black skin.I didn't give her anything. It took about a year for all her hair to grow back. This year Maude has it-on both sides. Hair loss and black skin. All the hair has grown back on one side-and no sign of hair on the other. I have been giving her melatonin-doesn't seem to matter. What is on your dog [MENTION=11501]chemist[/MENTION] does not look like SA. It looks more like dry skin or allergy.

Julzz9170

Apr 15, 2014
New jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fatso, Romeo
My boys both have flank allopecia..their skin is black where the hair loss is..fatso gets it every year and his hair grows back fine..Romeo got it last year and his only grew back on one side..I have been using the melotonin pills since late June and have not seen a noticeable difference..I also have changed to a grain free diet and have been using coconut oil..hoping something will work..am going to try nu vet next

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 161

HTX Bully

Aug 6, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Holly
Hollys SFA is black underneath as well. We give her 10mg of melatonin per our vet and we get it at our local CVS. The pic above looks more like an allergy to me but I am by no means an expert.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
chemist

chemist

Mar 28, 2014
Midwest USA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Beaker
Thats what the vet is telling me. We ruled out ring worm and she hasnt had any change in food(Fromms pork and peas.)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thats what the vet is telling me. We ruled out ring worm and she hasnt had any change in food(Fromms pork and peas.)

Did they skin scrape for a mange check?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.