Hulk ate a piece of his toy

Sarah Elizabeth

Oct 20, 2013
Kentucky
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hulk
So last night Hulk was playing with his kong bone we use for treats after I had given him a piece of ice in it. I noticed him chewing on it and was doing my best to keep a close eye on him but apparently didn't do the best job. He managed to get a piece off and I got it out of his mouth but the piece missing from the toy is bigger than what I got out of his mouth (maybe the size of nickel). Before going to bed I had a feeling he had swallowed the other piece and half expected to wake up to vomit in his crate. About 7:30 this morning an awful smell woke me up. Turned out to be two huge piles of poop! He NEVER poops in his crate. I took him right out and he peed as normal. I locked him in the bathroom for a bit while I cleaned out his crate (lots of gagging going on). I searched through the piles for the piece of toy but didn't find it (yuck, more gags). After cleaning he ran to the door and immediately had to poop again, completely loose. I just fed him and gave him a small amount of pumpkin. He's acting completely normal aside from all the pooping but I'm nervous. Any suggestions? I've read through many similar posts in the past but wanted to make my own thread. Thanks in advance!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Sarah, I'm so sorry you're going through this with Hulk. (Love his name by the way), it's really scary when they swallow things they're not supposed to, and as careful as we are it happens, they are so quick. I have had this happen to me 3 times with my male Bulldozer, he is my sweat sock eater. He always seems to find socks, especially my little grandsons', and he swallows them before I can get them away from him. He has always been able to pass them either by throwing them up, or pooping them out. It can take up to a week, and once he passed it a month later. The whole time he was acting normal, eating drinking, playing. Then one day he would just throw up a sock, or poop it out. Only once did he show any signs of being sick from it, he started with diarrhea, then he vomited, even water would come back up, he was drooling water from his mouth, and he was lethargic. These are all signs of an obstruction, and are what you want to look for. I took Dozer to the vet, and she gave him IV fluids, pain medication, a laxative, and sent me home with some prescription Science Diet high fibre dog food to help him move his bowels. Later that evening he was able to poop out the sock, and we avoided having to do surgery. Hulk will probably end up,vomiting up or pooping out the piece of Kong, you mentioned it was the size of a nickel, so it's not very big, and it's a rubber and smooth object, so nothing sharp that can puncture or hurt him inside. It may irritate his tummy and cause the diarrhea or vomiting before he passes it, and it may take a few days, but should pass easily. Keep an eye on him, and check his poop to see if it passes, but take him to the vet if he shows signs of illness, or obstruction. I hope he feels better soon, and he is able to pass the piece of toy. Please keep us posted on how Hulk is doing.

OP
Sarah Elizabeth

Sarah Elizabeth

Oct 20, 2013
Kentucky
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hulk
Thanks for your quick reply. He swallowed a small doorstop per cap when he was a puppy while I was showering and vomited it up a few days later. He acted normal then too. He's playing right now and ate his food and has had water like he normally does. I just feel bad he pooped in his crate. I'm a light sleeper (the smell woke me up) but didn't here him whining or anything. Poor baby.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Hope he's okay, you are aware of the possibility that he may have swallowed a part of that toy. If he starts refusing to eat or drink for more than 24 hours, starts running a fever or becomes lethargic, can't hold down food or water with vomiting or diarrhea, then you should take him in. For now you get to be on poop patrol and watch for that missing piece!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adamslater

Dec 6, 2012
Sudbury, ON
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Something very similar happened to my dog when he was little -he ate a piece of his deer antler toy. He messed in his crate in the night...disaster. Just like what happened to you and he was puking on and off as well.
I put him on the bland diet - still some puking and no poop for 2 days and then he passed it. I have never been so happy to find what I was looking for in his poop! lol
I would just monitor him - if he becomes lethargic, wont eat or you notice he is not acting himself (hiding and being strange) I would take him in.
Good luck!

OP
Sarah Elizabeth

Sarah Elizabeth

Oct 20, 2013
Kentucky
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hulk
Thanks for all the advice. So far he's acting normal and eating/drinking the same way he always does. He still is just as active as always. He's pooped and peed normal after this mornings events but still no sign of the toy piece.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I hope he passes it OK, and things get back to normal for him.

OP
Sarah Elizabeth

Sarah Elizabeth

Oct 20, 2013
Kentucky
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hulk
Hulks still having diarrhea. He had one normal poop after dinner last night and hadn't gone at all yesterday during the day. Last night before bed and again at 5:30 and just now he's had diarrhea. Aside from that he's acting normal. He's eating/drinking normally and has not vomited. I'm just wondering what I should do? I know that diarrhea can be both due to his stomach being upset and also could be helping to push out the object but I also know it could be a sign of obstruction. Tha amount of poop coming out is fairly large too, not sure that matters. I'm a nurse and very familiar with obstruction in humans but this is my little fur baby and it's different. He has me quite nervous!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hulks still having diarrhea. He had one normal poop after dinner last night and hadn't gone at all yesterday during the day. Last night before bed and again at 5:30 and just now he's had diarrhea. Aside from that he's acting normal. He's eating/drinking normally and has not vomited. I'm just wondering what I should do? I know that diarrhea can be both due to his stomach being upset and also could be helping to push out the object but I also know it could be a sign of obstruction. Tha amount of poop coming out is fairly large too, not sure that matters. I'm a nurse and very familiar with obstruction in humans but this is my little fur baby and it's different. He has me quite nervous!

sounds like he might have an upset tummy if there is that much :poo: [MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION] - would obstruction cause this level of :poo:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
If he's having normal poo and then diarrhea, then normal again, then diarrhea, I'm thinking it's too much food or treats , is that possible?

OP
Sarah Elizabeth

Sarah Elizabeth

Oct 20, 2013
Kentucky
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hulk
If he's having normal poo and then diarrhea, then normal again, then diarrhea, I'm thinking it's too much food or treats , is that possible?

He only gets a cup of food in the morning and at night so I don't think that's what's causing it. And he only gets coconut oil and ice cubes for treats. I caught him with a piece of the toy in his mouth but didn't manage to get all of it. His pooping started a few hours after that so I'm thinking there's something in his stomach or intestines. Aside from the diarrhea he's acting normal. I gave him canned pumpkin yesterday morning so that May have been what helped from his bowel movement for after dinner. I gave him some more at 5:30 this morning when he woke me up to potty. Should I just keep an eye on him for now and if so, at what point do I take him to the vet? His only symptom right now is the diarrhea.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
He only gets a cup of food in the morning and at night so I don't think that's what's causing it. And he only gets coconut oil and ice cubes for treats. I caught him with a piece of the toy in his mouth but didn't manage to get all of it. His pooping started a few hours after that so I'm thinking there's something in his stomach or intestines. Aside from the diarrhea he's acting normal. I gave him canned pumpkin yesterday morning so that May have been what helped from his bowel movement for after dinner. I gave him some more at 5:30 this morning when he woke me up to potty. Should I just keep an eye on him for now and if so, at what point do I take him to the vet? His only symptom right now is the diarrhea.

so is the :poo: really runny or just soft?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I would try feeding him more fiber-such as pumpkin, and also some bread.

OP
Sarah Elizabeth

Sarah Elizabeth

Oct 20, 2013
Kentucky
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hulk
Thanks! I was thinking the same thing so just gave him some more pumpkin. I'm going to give him some more with his dinner too. I hope that helps. How much pumpkin can we give a day? I tried finding I for online but it just mentions a few tablespoons. I have his pumpkin frozen so it's like a nice cube. He's gotten 2 so far today (small ice cubes).

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.