Problem on walks

dtilkin

Aug 27, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
Looking for advice. My EB, Watson 19 months, is finding it enjoyable to sit down in the middle of a walk. Trust me....he's not tired or otherwise physically impaired. When you try to move him he will lie down. An immovable force. This has developed over the last 3 months and was never been an issue before. I simply want him to finish a walk without incident. Thanks....

ArJay84

Jul 22, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Millie
Millie's only three months old now, but she will do that on our short walks if she's done walking. Just lays there and refuses to go any further. My breeder told me, "Never walk a bulldog farther than you want to carry them back".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Hmm, never walk a bulldog farther than you're willing to carry them back!! Hehe. On the serious side, maybe try carrying treats with you to reward him when he is walking nicely and to bribe him to get up and finish the walk. Is it very hot or humid where you are right now? Maybe he's getting tired quickly.

OP
dtilkin

dtilkin

Aug 27, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
I wish it was that he was tired but he pulls a "sit-down" regardless of time, distance, temp or weather. He simply refuses to move......go figure.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
I think the weather might have something to do with it. Depending where you live and if its hot like our friends in Texas and the other hot spot states, I would not be walking but just going out in the yard for a potty break. [MENTION=7373]g8erjackie[/MENTION] mentioned treats for a bribe.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I totally know what you are going through. Lol. My male Bulldozer does the exact same thing, he absolutely hates to walk. He has been like this since he was a puppy, he's 2 and 1/2 years old now. It doesn't matter what the season or temperature, he just hates to walk. He will go outside to potty, and I can get him to walk in the complex, but not off the property for longer walks. He will just stop in his tracks, flop down, and all 4 legs splayed to the sides, and refuses to go any further. I have to go behind him, and pick up his bum to get him to walk again. People laugh at him, it's hilarious. I can sometimes bribe him with a treat, but only if he wants to move. His sister Blossom will walk for hours, and loves her long walks. I feel so bad for Dozer sometimes because he doesn't get to go on very many long walks, and Blossom goes 3 or 4 times a day.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Treat treats treats and more treats, he'll get moving.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
someone else on here had that issue to.... treats, a very HIGH valued treat will help

Most Reactions