Curious about Ear Protection While Our Bullies Swim

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
When we first got Goob, 3 years ago, I always heard that it is NOT good to let water get into a dog's ears. I have been OBSESSIVELY careful when I bathe him, when it's raining, and whenever he plays with the water hose. I wash his face separately and block his ears every time water might get near them.

It has been SO hot around here lately I've been thinking about buying him a little kiddie pool. For those of you who have a swimming/water loving bulldog, do I have to put ear plugs in his ears? I'm just worried about an inner ear infection. Or, can they swim willy nilly and I just need to stop freaking out:)?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I don't think you have to worry too much about getting water in his ears in a kiddie pool, the water is only going to cover his paws and legs, and maybe his tummy, but his head isn't going to go under the water. There's more of a chance of getting water in his ears when you're bathing him, especially if you either pour water over his head to rinse, or if you use a shower head like I do. I use the shower head to wet their bodies, and shampoo them, then I use the shower head to rinse them off, but I don't use the shower head on their heads or faces. I wet a facecloth, and put the shampoo on the cloth and wash their faces, and then I rinse with the cloth, that way water doesn't get in their ears.

schimpfy

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin'
Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver British Columbia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
Chance sticks his whole head under the water while bathing thankfully knock on wood there has been no trouble

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
you can put some cotton in his ears and then take it out when done

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
you can put some cotton in his ears and then take it out when done

Yep cotton balls in the ears and I will also flush with ear cleaner to in the safe side, that's how I am! Very obsessed with no water in the ears.

Years ago we had our first bulldog and she had chronic ear infections, found out it was because I was letting water get in her ears. Ever since he showed me how to clean them and keep water out we haven't had hardly any problems in almost 20 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lynngosox

Aug 20, 2014
Gracie has a kiddie pool she loves it and will stick her head under the water. No ear problems. uploadfromtaptalk1409277408862.jpg

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I wouldn't think with a kiddy pool you will have any thing to worry about, but as others have said, you can always put cotton in his ears.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.