Adoption is a hard process

Brandie37

Mar 10, 2014
KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Bruno & Louie
Has anyone else attempted to adopt a EB and felt like it's a completely frustrating process ??? I have done two initial phone " interviews" that supposedly meant I "passed" that part and then was told I would receive a call and haven't . In the meantime the two rescues I have apps in with have an over abundance of dogs and one apparently won't adopt an EB out to a family with children younger than 8?????? Really? My response to that is, good luck with that !! I'm completely frustrated with the whole process. Has anyone else experienced this??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mzza111

May 16, 2013
Orange County, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gypsy (May 2013- March 2015)
That's a bummer. Don't give up! My adoption process was easy and I got a dog that fits perfect with my family dynamic.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I have not adopted a bully as of yet, but I have heard that the process can be LONG and frustrating… I would assume that NOT allowing younger children is because of dog aggression w/younger kids. It would better to be safe than sorry, but it does seem sad that SO many bullies end up in rescue for months at a time.

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
I've adopted both my bullies and the process was somewhat easy. I understand their rules because they are just making sure the dog goes to the most perfect home. Have patience because it will all be worth it and they want to make sure they find the right dog for you also.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Well I adopted my Frankie and it was a little bit of a process. The rescues are all run on a volunteer basis so most of the work is done after hours or when someone is available. Hang in there it will be worth it in the end. Now, the issue of not adopting to families with young children, this is mostly to ensure that the dog does not end up in rescue again. They worry that bullies jump and young children wont be ready for this and will be knocking over the kids upsetting parents, therefore sending the dog back. I AM BY NO MEANS SUGGESTING THAT THIS IS SOMETHING YOU WOULD DO, I am just saying this is the justification of that rule. Good luck.

bella100

Community Veteran
Sep 7, 2011
Mississippi
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dooley, and Bentley
I have tried to adopt and yes it is a terrible process, i gave up. I understand wanting to know the family's back ground and all the safety stuff. Take the application do a home check and give a baby a home that dont have one!!!

marianne

May 17, 2012
WV
Bulldog(s) Names
Jenna
My adoption was easy...the only issue that came up was the dog i originally was going to adopt was to rough for my young grandchildren...so the rescue ask me to consider another and meet her instead...which i did and it worked out very well....couldn't ask for a dog that was better with the children...I don't believe they have a age requirement for the kids but go by the personality of the dog....

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
Has anyone else attempted to adopt a EB and felt like it's a completely frustrating process ??? I have done two initial phone " interviews" that supposedly meant I "passed" that part and then was told I would receive a call and haven't . In the meantime the two rescues I have apps in with have an over abundance of dogs and one apparently won't adopt an EB out to a family with children younger than 8?????? Really? My response to that is, good luck with that !! I'm completely frustrated with the whole process. Has anyone else experienced this??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it depends on the rescue group. The one where I live acts like they are doing you a favor by even talking to you. All three people I know were turned down over email without as much as a phone interview. I got a phone interview but even though I could afford to take on a dog with medical needs (he needed ear surgery) I was turned down because my female "may" need a knee surgery in the future and the lady interviewing me felt it would be too much for me. Whatever.
Anyway, I understand now why so many people turn to breeders when some of these rescues appear to be hoarders with non profit 501 c licenses so that all their cash donations are tax-free income and they qualify as charities for lots of other perks. I would like to add that I am sure many rescues are very upstanding, as some members here can attest, so I do not mean to make a blanket statement about them all.
Sorry for the rant but after my rejection blew my mind I started doing some research into the whole dog rescue industry. If you do a google search for "dog rescue scams" you will be disgusted in what you find.

Julzz9170

Apr 15, 2014
New jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fatso, Romeo
[MENTION=10206]agentbunny[/MENTION] I had a similar experience when I tried to adopt from a rescue..we waited a long time to get a dog and when we were ready we tried to adopt from a eb rescue near us..we were turned down for not having experience with bulldogs..we had no other pets, older children, a large fenced in yard and could afford to take care of one..we didn't want a puppy so we ended up buying fatso from a dog trainer that took him from the family that originally purchased him bc they were going to give him to a rescue because they couldn't handle him..but the the experience with the rescue left me with a bad taste in my mouth..how are you supposed to get experience if they won't let you adopt but then you are wrong if you go to a breeder and purchase a puppy??

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online