Thread: Geranium essential oil experience...

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Petra van der Walt
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
    Likes (Received)

Default Geranium essential oil experience...

So a couple of weeks ago Bennie had some bumps on his body, my hubby thinks I'm crazy but I believe he got the reaction from a tick bite. He had a really bad reaction end of last year but has been fine since then. I can't use tick/flea collar on him, his skin is too sensitive so I got great advice here trying Geranium Essential oil

I finally found the oil last week and I tried it on our Jack Russel, Pug, Shar pei mix and Chihuahua first as they are more active out in the garden. Haven't seen any ticks on them and they don't seem to care about the oil treatment at all, so I went ahead and put it on the Bulldogs the day after. So far so good... but this morning I woke up with a runny nose and I can't stop sneezing, lol. I think it might be the oil cos the whole house smells like rose and I haven't done well being exposed to perfume in the past. I didn't think as far as this would cause ME any trouble. Anyway, the dogs are happy and now I'm waiting patiently to see if this will repel ticks

I really hope the smell decreases in time cos it's a bit hectic right now... I think with one or possibly two dogs it will smell nice and modest but with seven dogs it's OVERWHELMING.
    You were born with the ability to change someone's life, don't ever waste it.

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Geranium essential oil experience...

Hi Petra, lol. I don't mean to laugh, but it is funny, you find something that's good or helpful to the dogs, and you're allergic to it. Now we have to find a remedy for you.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Real Name
    Petra van der Walt
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vikinggirl View Post
    Hi Petra, lol. I don't mean to laugh, but it is funny, you find something that's good or helpful to the dogs, and you're allergic to it. Now we have to find a remedy for you.

It is funny but I think most of us here would rather take the risk of having a bad reaction ourselves than risk our bulldogs to have one... If this works I will continue to use it I can deal with sneezing and snot but I can't deal with my Bennie boy feeling ill I just have to plow through it and get over it

Rescue Volunteer dieMuttivonBifi's Avatar
    Country
    from the Philippines but residing in Germany
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bifi (beef-ii)
    Likes (Received)

Does it repell fleas too? I have solved the tick problem with vinegar but i can't keep the fleas off Bifi. I tried making my own flea shampoo and bought "natural" flea powder and shampoo but it only works for a day or two. And i can't keep giving the cat a bath. The first time was very gruesome for him.

And sorry that you're having a reaction to the smell. That must be giving you some headaches as well.

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

That would be great if it works, it's natural, and non toxic, but I guess you'll have to take the Benadryl.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Real Name
    Petra van der Walt
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dieMuttivonBifi View Post
    Does it repell fleas too? I have solved the tick problem with vinegar but i can't keep the fleas off Bifi. I tried making my own flea shampoo and bought "natural" flea powder and shampoo but it only works for a day or two. And i can't keep giving the cat a bath. The first time was very gruesome for him.

And sorry that you're having a reaction to the smell. That must be giving you some headaches as well.

Yes, it says it's supposed to repel fleas as well Haven't had an issue with fleas in the past but I saw one on Bennie the other day so I'm hoping this will help.

How do you use vinegar for ticks? Maybe that's better for me since I don't have a flea situation going on...

Real Name
    Petra van der Walt
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vikinggirl View Post
    That would be great if it works, it's natural, and non toxic, but I guess you'll have to take the Benadryl.

I'm sticking to tissues for now but the skin around my nose is starting to get red so I might have to look for a "cure" if this doesn't go away by itself. I'm one of those people that doesn't like taking pills... I'll rather camp outside till the smell calms down, lol.

Rescue Volunteer dieMuttivonBifi's Avatar
    Country
    from the Philippines but residing in Germany
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bifi (beef-ii)
    Likes (Received)

@Petra I just mix white vinegar with water and spray Bifi with it. This summer i used to spray Bifi everyday but it has now become a bit colder and haven't sprayed him for a couple of weeks and yesterday i got a tick off him. Gotta try your Geranium essential oil and hope it works with fleas!

Real Name
    Petra van der Walt
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dieMuttivonBifi View Post
    @Petra I just mix white vinegar with water and spray Bifi with it. This summer i used to spray Bifi everyday but it has now become a bit colder and haven't sprayed him for a couple of weeks and yesterday i got a tick off him. Gotta try your Geranium essential oil and hope it works with fleas!

Ok thanks I'm gonna do that mix and spray their feet and legs as the ticks sometimes goes between their toes I don't know if the oil reaches all over the body... maybe in time it does. And maybe they smell it anyway and wont go on them... I don't know, lol. I guess time will tell

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Petra, I can totally relate… I'm allergic to perfume, cleaners, and other smells. I can't have any of that kind of stuff in the house, or I will get a migraine. It's horrible…

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

UGH --- I so hope you get some relief and this can work well for all of you....
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Remove Ads