Geranium essential oil experience...

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
So a couple of weeks ago Bennie had some bumps on his body, my hubby thinks I'm crazy but I believe he got the reaction from a tick bite. He had a really bad reaction end of last year but has been fine since then. I can't use tick/flea collar on him, his skin is too sensitive so I got great advice here trying Geranium Essential oil:)

I finally found the oil last week and I tried it on our Jack Russel, Pug, Shar pei mix and Chihuahua first as they are more active out in the garden. Haven't seen any ticks on them and they don't seem to care about the oil treatment at all, so I went ahead and put it on the Bulldogs the day after. So far so good... but this morning I woke up with a runny nose and I can't stop sneezing, lol. I think it might be the oil cos the whole house smells like rose and I haven't done well being exposed to perfume in the past. I didn't think as far as this would cause ME any trouble:facepalm2:. Anyway, the dogs are happy and now I'm waiting patiently to see if this will repel ticks:)

I really hope the smell decreases in time cos it's a bit hectic right now... I think with one or possibly two dogs it will smell nice and modest but with seven dogs it's OVERWHELMING:fie:.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Petra, lol. I don't mean to laugh, but it is funny, you find something that's good or helpful to the dogs, and you're allergic to it. Now we have to find a remedy for you.

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Hi Petra, lol. I don't mean to laugh, but it is funny, you find something that's good or helpful to the dogs, and you're allergic to it. Now we have to find a remedy for you.

It is funny:tongue: but I think most of us here would rather take the risk of having a bad reaction ourselves than risk our bulldogs to have one... If this works I will continue to use it:) I can deal with sneezing and snot but I can't deal with my Bennie boy feeling ill:no: I just have to plow through it and get over it;)

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
Does it repell fleas too? I have solved the tick problem with vinegar but i can't keep the fleas off Bifi. I tried making my own flea shampoo and bought "natural" flea powder and shampoo but it only works for a day or two. And i can't keep giving the cat a bath. The first time was very gruesome for him.

And sorry that you're having a reaction to the smell. That must be giving you some headaches as well.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
That would be great if it works, it's natural, and non toxic, but I guess you'll have to take the Benadryl.

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Does it repell fleas too? I have solved the tick problem with vinegar but i can't keep the fleas off Bifi. I tried making my own flea shampoo and bought "natural" flea powder and shampoo but it only works for a day or two. And i can't keep giving the cat a bath. The first time was very gruesome for him.

And sorry that you're having a reaction to the smell. That must be giving you some headaches as well.

Yes, it says it's supposed to repel fleas as well:) Haven't had an issue with fleas in the past but I saw one on Bennie the other day so I'm hoping this will help.

How do you use vinegar for ticks? Maybe that's better for me since I don't have a flea situation going on...

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
That would be great if it works, it's natural, and non toxic, but I guess you'll have to take the Benadryl.

I'm sticking to tissues for now:tongue: but the skin around my nose is starting to get red so I might have to look for a "cure" if this doesn't go away by itself:mellow:. I'm one of those people that doesn't like taking pills... I'll rather camp outside till the smell calms down, lol.

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
[MENTION=7710]Petra[/MENTION] I just mix white vinegar with water and spray Bifi with it. This summer i used to spray Bifi everyday but it has now become a bit colder and haven't sprayed him for a couple of weeks and yesterday i got a tick off him. Gotta try your Geranium essential oil and hope it works with fleas!

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
@Petra I just mix white vinegar with water and spray Bifi with it. This summer i used to spray Bifi everyday but it has now become a bit colder and haven't sprayed him for a couple of weeks and yesterday i got a tick off him. Gotta try your Geranium essential oil and hope it works with fleas!

Ok thanks:) I'm gonna do that mix and spray their feet and legs as the ticks sometimes goes between their toes:( I don't know if the oil reaches all over the body... maybe in time it does. And maybe they smell it anyway and wont go on them... I don't know, lol. I guess time will tell:)

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Petra, I can totally relate… I'm allergic to perfume, cleaners, and other smells. I can't have any of that kind of stuff in the house, or I will get a migraine. It's horrible… :(

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
UGH --- I so hope you get some relief and this can work well for all of you....

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.