Frozen Carrots?

LolaLove

Jan 11, 2011
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Hello! I'm new here and am so glad I found this forum! It's been so helpful so far! Lola is my 1st bully puppy and I am totally in love with her, but I have NO idea what I am doing as far as raising her! I read online that they love frozen carrots as treats, has anyone tried this? Lola seems to get an upset stomach and throws up when she tries something new for the 1st time so I'm a little hesitant. Any advice? :D

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
[MENTION=1700]LolaLove[/MENTION] Welcome to the site!!! Glad you're loving the site already ... be careful it gets very addictive on here!!

What food are you feeding Lola as that could be a cause of throwing up??

For treats, we give fresh baby carrots but we also put shredded carrots on their food with some natural plain yogurt. Other treats are frozen green beans, and frozen blueberries. They also like chunks of cucumber whenever I'm making a salad.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Glad you find us, WHENEVER you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. Bullys are definitely very unique and we all have those times where we really need advice and support! I buy fresh baby carrots and freeze them. I give those as a treat to Samson and my beagle Loki. Lola looks like a puppy so you may want to give her smaller pieces, a whole baby carrot may be a bit much for her. And I have the same question as Kazzy220, what are you feeding her?

bfletch13

Community Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Jozi, Wales
Not to change the subject of the thread but
are you really from Rancho Cucamonga? I was
in Cali last summer for work and went threw there
I want to move there just because the town has
such a cool name. When someone askes me where
I'm going now I tell them Rancho Cucamonga California. :p

But back on the subject lots of people give carrots, and
seems that even more talk about frozen green beans.

OP
LolaLove

LolaLove

Jan 11, 2011
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Thanks for the warm welcome! I am totally addicted already. LOL!

I'm feeding her the same food her breeder started her on. It's Iams. I thought it might of been that but it doesn't happen everyday and it only happens at night. I feed her dinner at 4pm but con't to give her treats as we are still potty training her. I've found that if I give her a new treat is when she throws up. It's weird, but from the research I've done bullies have gastro problems right?

Thanks for the treat tips! I think I'm going to give her fruit and veggi treats instead of the store bought ones. Maybe I'm giving her too big of treats? She is 13 weeks so hopefully she grows out of that. LOL!

OP
LolaLove

LolaLove

Jan 11, 2011
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
[MENTION=574]TessaAndSamson[/MENTION] Thank you so much for the support! I totally need it! :) I've had those day's when all I want to do is rip my hair out so it's nice to know there are people out there that can relate! :)

I didn't think about the size of treats that I've been giving her. I will totally try that! Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
LolaLove

LolaLove

Jan 11, 2011
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
[MENTION=1621]bfletch13[/MENTION] Yes, I really do live in Rancho Cucamonga! LOL! My husband and I just moved here from Oregon. (My 1st love! :)) So, far I like it here too!

I think I'll try the green beans next! Thank you!

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Welcome to you and Lola, she's a cutey! I have two Bully girls who are nearly 8 months old. They love frozen green beans, a piece of banana, and shredded carrot. I tried giving them a whole baby carrot when they were little and they just played with it. So I got shredded carrots and put it on top of their food. I also mix in some plain yogart, canned pumpkin or cottage cheese with their breakfast. There is a dog food rating part of this site you should check out. Iam's isn't the greatest food out there. You really should get her switched over to a better food. I feed Gertie and Ida Nature's Variety Prairie. They're doing real well on it. This site is great!! So glad you found it! You'll love it! So much good advise and support and friendship here!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Welcome to you and Lola, she's a cutey! I have two Bully girls who are nearly 8 months old. They love frozen green beans, a piece of banana, and shredded carrot. I tried giving them a whole baby carrot when they were little and they just played with it. So I got shredded carrots and put it on top of their food. I also mix in some plain yogart, canned pumpkin or cottage cheese with their breakfast. There is a dog food rating part of this site you should check out. Iam's isn't the greatest food out there. You really should get her switched over to a better food. I feed Gertie and Ida Nature's Variety Prairie. They're doing real well on it. This site is great!! So glad you found it! You'll love it! So much good advise and support and friendship here!

I was just going to say the same thing about the Iams .... if you go to the Home page and scroll down you will see that there is a "Dog Food Ratings" section, and Iams is a 1* rated food which is very low, and could be the cause of Lola throwing up. I had Maggie on Beneful not knowing how awful it was, and when I made the slow switch over to Fromm I couldn't believe the difference in her. Her coat is soft, her wrinkles are beautifully clean and she just has more energy overall. It is certainly worth reading the Forum that is allocated to Bulldog nutrition too as that will give you some idea of the problems and solutions that other members have experienced.

Lacey28

Community Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Windsor Ontario Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Silva and Stella
Hi [MENTION=1700]LolaLove[/MENTION] and Welcome to the site! It is the best. Silva was on Iams from her breeder also and it is JUNK! I feed Silva Fromm and I change formulas each bag,she is on Surf and Turf and havent had any problems. We give her pumpkin or plain organic yogurt, I buy the big containers and then put them in ice cube trays and give her one a day. She likes cucumbers but HATES carrots. I havent tried the green beans but I am going to get some this weekend. She loves fruit and has some every night with my husband. Hope that helps, like mentioned above check out the food ratings section and if you do switchover make sure to do it gradually over 1-2 weeks ( I always do it over 2 weeks) Good luck!

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
[MENTION=1700]LolaLove[/MENTION] I strongly recommend changing her food, I can't stress enough how important a quality food is for bullies! Iams used to be a good food many years ago and has gone down hill considerably over the years. Which is unfortunate :( Fromm is a great food which people here love. There are alot of MUCH better choices than Iams out there for food so if ever need any help just ask! Oh and if you want to try Fromm, I know from trying to find it myself that it will be tough to find a store that carries it in your area. Fromm's website has some places posted on there that don't even carry it anymore. So I suggest if you want to try it order it from Carolina Pet Pantry Home Page or petflow.com. And welcome to California, I live like 15 minutes from you! Which is why I know it will be hard for you to find a store that carries Fromm LOL

OP
LolaLove

LolaLove

Jan 11, 2011
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Awesome! Thank you everyone for the great advice! I had no idea that Iams was so awful. I'm going to check out the "Dog Food Ratings" thank you so much for the heads up! Everyone is so nice on here! Thank you for all your suggestions! I appreciate them!

Lola tried her 1st carrot and LOVED it! YAY! :up: Now...if she could just learn to love her crate. LOL!

MissBailey

May 23, 2010
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Lil Miss Bailey
Hello New Rancho Bulldog Mommy, I am from Cali too! Stay away from the variety dog foods they are made of ground nut shells and just junk. My Ms Bailey has tried many good dog foods as a puppy. Blue Buffalo is one she has been able to tolerate well. watch the protein content in the bulldog food too. anything over 24% is not good for them. My girl loves carrots and the green beans, and bananas a little bit of apple for treats. Watch out for anything that has nuts or whole wheat as its main ingrediant it may cause food allergies! Good Luck with your new dog. Jan

OP
LolaLove

LolaLove

Jan 11, 2011
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
[MENTION=628]MissBailey[/MENTION] Thank you so much for that suggestion. Can I find Blue Buffalo at anywhere or should I just got a pet store like PetSmart or something? I wasn't aware about the wheat allergy thing...I knew to stay away from soy but not wheat.. thank you for that! I feel so inexperienced and the internet has too much conflicting info so it leaves me right back at square one. I'm so glad to have found this forum! :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.