Tail Amputation / Tail Pocket Info THANKS!

BullyBarb

Jul 13, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gizmo Magoo
I'd like to thank everyone who's ever posted on here about tail pockets and/or tail amputation.

We adopted a two year old male 5 months ago and I didn't even know tail pockets existed. Our guy came with three different bacteria plus a fungal infection in his tail pocket. After lots of research - most of it right here - we decided to have his tail amputated. It's been 10 days since the surgery and his incision looks great - the biggest issue is keeping him quiet!

He came home with a Fentanyl patch, rimadyl, tramadon, and an antibiotic. The patch fell off on the third day, he was supposed to wear it for four days. The Fentanyl kept him pretty drugged up because about 2 hours after it came off he was running around the living room wanting to play. I had asked for and got some sedatives because I was afraid of this!

He was never in any pain and slept the entire first night home except for a 5 minute potty break.

I was very, very concerned about the procedure but thanks to all the great info here I decided it really was the best thing to do - he hated having his tail area touched must less cleaned.

Thank you all for all the great info!

Barb

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: So glad Gizmo is doing well and all the info on EBN helped you with his issues and recovery.

post some pics when you can... Love to see his sweet face

OP
B

BullyBarb

Jul 13, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gizmo Magoo
UPDATE: It's been almost a month since the surgery and Gizmo now has quite the fuzzy butt. Before August 12 (surgery date), we couldn't even touch his butt area - not even for just a rub - without him freaking out. Now he loves his butt rubs - I'm sure there was some itching as the incision healed and the butt rubs felt good but now it's all healed and he still likes his butt rubs. I am so glad we had the surgery performed - he really is so much happier!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
That is wonderful news! So sorry I missed your original post. So happy for your boy and glad you found the information here to help guide you through the process!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
UPDATE: It's been almost a month since the surgery and Gizmo now has quite the fuzzy butt. Before August 12 (surgery date), we couldn't even touch his butt area - not even for just a rub - without him freaking out. Now he loves his butt rubs - I'm sure there was some itching as the incision healed and the butt rubs felt good but now it's all healed and he still likes his butt rubs. I am so glad we had the surgery performed - he really is so much happier!

What great news... so glad to hear all is going well and he is loving the butt-scratch! :up:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
GOD bless y'all for adopting him and spending money to fix a painful, horrible issue.
He hit the bully pawrent lotto :) Thank you for great news <3

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pork Chop (2009-2019) Bruschi
Glad Gizmo is doing well. Before, I brought my girl, Pork Chop home the rescue suggested to amputate her tail. After , out meet & greet she went into surgery immediately two days after. It took around two weeks before I can bring her home. I did get a visit w her on adoption day . The visit turned into a I get to go home day! She was well and ready for it.
She loves her butt rubbed even before they removed her tail . The same reason as your boy they made that suggestion and I consent to have it done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rosie13

Oct 18, 2013
Overland Park, KS
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
rosie
Have a question to all who have had their tails amputated. I had mine done a couple monthsafter I got her last October and I was expecting a little something left but the vet took the whole thing off, no bump or anything. Just straight anus showing. Is this normal or do most vets leave something there?

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Have a question to all who have had their tails amputated. I had mine done a couple months after I got her last October and I was expecting a little something left but the vet took the whole thing off, no bump or anything. Just straight anus showing. Is this normal or do most vets leave something there?

I have not had it done to my guys, no need, but all I have seen done, there is nothing left.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Have a question to all who have had their tails amputated. I had mine done a couple monthsafter I got her last October and I was expecting a little something left but the vet took the whole thing off, no bump or anything. Just straight anus showing. Is this normal or do most vets leave something there?

It really depends on the severity of the tail pocket infections your bully was having. And probably on how tightly wound the tail was, the chances for recurring infections if only a portion of the tail was removed vs. the entire tail. I talked to my vet prior to Finn's tail amputation last January and she explained she'd amputate about 3/4 of his tail, the area where the infections were most prone to be, and he was left w/a cute little "stump".

rosie13

Oct 18, 2013
Overland Park, KS
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
rosie
i ask because I was expecting a little stump and was stunned when t here was nothing. IT was a useless apendage for sure but she has issues, well I call it drippy butt syndrome and it is pretty messy all the time

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
i ask because I was expecting a little stump and was stunned when t here was nothing. IT was a useless apendage for sure but she has issues, well I call it drippy butt syndrome and it is pretty messy all the time
[MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] had Vegas done, I think his is completely gone as well?

mrsjamieforrest

Sep 11, 2014
Country
en_US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley

It really depends on how bad the tail is affecting the entire area! Here is Bentleys pics right after surgery...the vet decided to take the entire thing off...

This was before we had the surgery
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413040985.056375.jpg

This was a day after the surgery was done!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413040745.674361.jpg

This was a week after!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413040808.261494.jpg

This is what it looks like now[emoji15]
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413041050.513468.jpg

The only reason they said they had to cut it all the way back was due to it being angled down on his colon and it was putting so much pressure on his rectum... Seeing this though broke my heart as I was completely in love with his tail although I do believe the vet made a great decision by doin this and Bentley is happier than ever now!

Chanticocat

Sep 20, 2014
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank, Ta-hank and Emma
Our little Lulu came to us with her tail amputated. She has no stump either. It just makes her more aerodynamic so she can run faster.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online