Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I am having a problem with Blossom, for the last month or so, Blossom has been randomly eating things on our walks, this time it was berries on the ground, but she has been eating cigarette butts for the last month, I know these are toxic and poisonous, and can be quite dangerous when ingested. I can take most of them from her mouth, but she has swallowed some, and I've seen a few butts in her poops. It's very difficult to avoid these, because they are everywhere on the sidewalks, grass, at the plaza, and parks. I am constantly watching the ground when we walk, and divert her when I can, but she always seems to find them, and she's so quick. She's 2 and 1/2 years old and has just started doing this, I don't understand why they have to eat everything. I'm worried she is going to eat too many cigarette butts, or something poison like the berries again and get really sick. My son suggested a muzzle for her when we go on walks so she can't pick up stuff and eat it, but I don't think this is safe for a bully. I would think a muzzle would make it difficult for her to breath, or compromise her breathing when she's on a walk. Is there any bully safe muzzle, like a soft one that would stop her from being able to eat things outside, but still allow her to breath? Has anybody had any similar experiences with their bully eating things outside?, does anyone use a muzzle on their bully? Any suggestions or advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated. The only other thing I can do is not take her on long walks, but she loves her walks. I just don't want her to eat anything else, plus my arm is getting really sore from redirecting her all the time.

0 Comment(s)

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
I am having a problem with Blossom, for the last month or so, Blossom has been randomly eating things on our walks, this time it was berries on the ground, but she has been eating cigarette butts for the last month, I know these are toxic and poisonous, and can be quite dangerous when ingested. I can take most of them from her mouth, but she has swallowed some, and I've seen a few butts in her poops. It's very difficult to avoid these, because they are everywhere on the sidewalks, grass, at the plaza, and parks. I am constantly watching the ground when we walk, and divert her when I can, but she always seems to find them, and she's so quick. She's 2 and 1/2 years old and has just started doing this, I don't understand why they have to eat everything. I'm worried she is going to eat too many cigarette butts, or something poison like the berries again and get really sick. My son suggested a muzzle for her when we go on walks so she can't pick up stuff and eat it, but I don't think this is safe for a bully. I would think a muzzle would make it difficult for her to breath, or compromise her breathing when she's on a walk. Is there any bully safe muzzle, like a soft one that would stop her from being able to eat things outside, but still allow her to breath? Has anybody had any similar experiences with their bully eating things outside?, does anyone use a muzzle on their bully? Any suggestions or advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated. The only other thing I can do is not take her on long walks, but she loves her walks. I just don't want her to eat anything else, plus my arm is getting really sore from redirecting her all the time.

0 Comment(s)

Hey, I bought goob a muzzle for a different problem. He is VERY snappy with strangers so we put this on him when he is introduced to new people. I've never had it on him for longer than an hour or so...maybe not even 30 minutes but see what you think....YES, he will look like Hannibal Lecter...You have to give them several measurements but its easy to do.

http://www.all-about-english-bulldog-dog-breed.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=556

OP
Vikinggirl

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Thank you so much for the link to muzzles. You're right it does look like Hannibal Lecter. I may have to resort to using one of these for her own good, and protection, if she continues to eat things. She is so food motivated and she just inhales anything she can find. I don't want her getting sick or worse dying from something poisonous that she may eat. Is that muzzle made from a hard rubber or plastic, or is it soft? Can Goob breathe properly with this on? I wonder if they make any muzzles that are soft. I have looked at some muzzles at PetValu this morning, but most of them are made to fit a dog with a long nose or snout, they don't really fit a dog with a flat face.

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
Thank you so much for the link to muzzles. You're right it does look like Hannibal Lecter. I may have to resort to using one of these for her own good, and protection, if she continues to eat things. She is so food motivated and she just inhales anything she can find. I don't want her getting sick or worse dying from something poisonous that she may eat. Is that muzzle made from a hard rubber or plastic, or is it soft? Can Goob breathe properly with this on? I wonder if they make any muzzles that are soft. I have looked at some muzzles at PetValu this morning, but most of them are made to fit a dog with a long nose or snout, they don't really fit a dog with a flat face.

The muzzle that I sent you the link to is the EXACT muzzle I got for Goob. It is made out of leather, the entire thing. It's pretty moveable and pliable but sturdy..if that makes sense. It also has a large cloth-like pad where is rests on his nose rope. Like a belt, you can adjust the straps from the top of the head and also from the neck to fit your dog just right. Goob doesn't wear it too often but when he does, he doesn't seem uncomfortable. His breathing isn't restricted but I've never had him do any kind of running or hard playing with it on...i still think it would be fine.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
@Vikinggirl

I would think this muzzle would be more comfortable for Blossom-and she could get more air. It is on the same website that [MENTION=12231]Goob14[/MENTION] recommended. English-bulldog-dog-muzzle-british-bulldog-muzzle.jpg

OP
Vikinggirl

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Thank you Lynn. I hate the thought of her having to wear a muzzle, but I want her to be safe and healthy. I hope people won't think she is vicious, she is so sweet and gentle. :(

Enjnene

Sep 25, 2013
Ar
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastian
I am gonna have to look into a muzzle as well so thanks for the link

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.