Bella stung by bees or wasps

Helenh

May 31, 2014
Abergele north wales
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Bella is forever in the bushes in the garden and yesterday I noticed lumps around her body and on top of her head , she seemed a bit lethargic which is not unusual for Bella ha ha she is such a sleepy head . She swims ok today but the lumps are starting to scab and I did see a sting from one of them on her so I pulled it out . She won't let you stroke her were the lumps are as they must be sore . I have been putting germolene and TCP on the lumps which is a antiseptic cream and lotion, is there any thing else I could give her as she wasn't herself for a few days and the lumps are still sore bless her 😞😞xx. I probably should have taken her to the vet but she wasn't sick or anything I just want a precaution and advice just I case it happens again 😊x
:help::help::help::anyone::anyone::please::yes:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You can give her Benedryl 1 mg per pound... It will help lessen the hives and relief any itching

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Helen, I'm sorry this happened to Bella, poor Baby. Benadryl will help with the bumps or lumps, and the itchiness of the bites or stings. You want to make sure you got the stinger out, you can use tweezers to do that. You also want to keep a close eye on her for the next day or two, look for signs of an allergic reaction, hives are okay, and will resolve themselves, but you want to watch our for more dangerous symptoms like swelling of the face, mouth area, and eyes, and especially of the throat, watch for any difficulty in her breathing, excessive drooling, and vomiting. These are signs of a more severe reaction and should be looked at by a vet. You can also treat the bumps with a paste made of water and baking soda, or aloe Vera gel, or you can put apple cider vinegar on them as well. I hope she is okay, and feels better soon.

OP
Helenh

Helenh

May 31, 2014
Abergele north wales
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Thank you bully mamma and Viking girl for the quick response I will go the vets tomorrow and ask for the Benadryl at least I can keep it in the house I case it happens again . Bella seems ok at the moment a bit sleepy but she is getting very spoilt by us all and she is loving it ha ha ������xx

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
You don't need to buy Benadryl from the vet, it's more expensive when you get it from them. My vet told me to go to the drugstore and buy it over the counter. My vet always has us give them 1 Benadryl before their vaccinations, because of Blossoms allergies. Our guys weigh 45 lbs and get one Benadryl. It's the pink and white box.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
One of my dogs is very allergic to stings-and of course-she chases wasps. She got stung and got hives all over her whole body,her face swelled up and her eyes swelled shut. I keep prednisone and benedryl in the house, as it took a prednisone and two benedryl to get her through the reaction. All the places she had hives, the hair fell out.
It took several days for all the symptoms to subside, and the hair grew back in all the spots. Things always happen here on Sundays when there are no vets available, so I have pred. and benedryl on hand, as she is very allergic to stings.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sorry to hear about that I agree the Benadryl will help alot and you can pick it up anywhere. I'd keep her out of the garden until the bees are gone.

OP
Helenh

Helenh

May 31, 2014
Abergele north wales
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Thank you everyone for your advice I went to my local chemist and asked for Benadryl and they said which type as there is 2 types when I said what they were for she said I must be careful and get the right one as one of them can make my dog really poorly is it like that in the USA were you have a couple of types !!! Sorry to ask but I wanted to keep some in the house just in case it happened again ����
take care everyone
helen xx

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I never heard that there are two types of Benedryl-except Children's and Reg. The type here is Diphenhydramine HCI 25 mg. One tablet per 25 lbs. dose [MENTION=11998]Helenh[/MENTION]
Hope this helps. It is good to keep some on hand.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.