Warning! Dog Boots Can Cause Over Heating!!!

VegasGeorge

Jan 13, 2013
Sin City in the Great Mojave Desert
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily and Daisy
I knew that dogs exchange heat through their paw pads. But I didn't know how critical that can be. Please take warning that boots and socks are dangerous for Bulldogs! Day before yesterday we were at Fashion Show Mall here in Las Vegas with our two Bullies, Lily and Daisy. We were doing routine off leash training, and Lily was wearing a handle harness (like a guide dog would wear) that my wife was using for lateral support. The dogs were not being exercised, no running, jumping, or playing. They were simply slowly walking beside us. Fashion Show is an indoor mall and nicely air conditioned. After about 30 minutes Lily started having breathing problems. I noticed signs of over heating, roaring wheezing sounds, tongue getting purple, etc. We put her in a down position on the cool tile floor, and I got her some cold water. She wasn't getting any better. So we got her back to the car, and I drove her straight to the Emergency Vet's office. She was getting worse, not better, in the car. When I got her there, they rushed her back into treatment, put her to sleep with anesthesia, intubated her, and put her on oxygen. When she woke up during the night, she was fine. They released her to us yesterday morning, and she continues to be fine. Lily and Daisy were wearing Ruffwear Grip Trex Barkin' Boots. I had stupidly forgotten about the foot pad heat transfer issue, and left Lily's boots on her in my rush to get her to the vet. That was good and bad. Bad for Lily's recovery, but good that the vet could see what she was wearing. I was strongly admonished not to put boots on her again. The ER vet told me the boots were the factor that put Lily into an over heated condition. I have to agree with her. Lily has been at Fashion Show many times, and never experienced anything like this. But, day before yesterday, she was wearing the boots for the first time during training. She had only worn them around the house before. This was a very serious incident. I think we came close to losing her during the car trip to the vet. She vomited a bunch of foam, and I had to carry her into the vet's office. This is something you and your Bulldog do not want to experience. So, please, no socks, no boots. Let your Bullies' feet run free!

BoldDeGuard

Aug 4, 2014
Montana
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir BoldDeGuard
Omg, I am so glad she's ok. I can't imagine how scary it was. :( Thank god you knew the signs and able to get her help ASAP.

And thank you for sharing your experience!

luvmybully

May 19, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker
What a scare !! You were smart to act fast and get to the ER, I'm glad she's ok, and thank you for sharing your experience, happy ending!!!:phew:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tkelley

Oct 15, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Guinevere, Little Be
Thanks for sharing. I'm glad she is okay. How scary that must have been:(

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I'm so sorry you had this scary experience with Lily, it must have been so scary. This is great information to know, especially with winter coming. I actually was at my local PetValu store with my son yesterday, and they had two metal bins outside the store with clearance items, they were selling mostly winter coats and sweaters, at more than 1/2 price off, and they had some bags of dog boots. I looked at them and commented on how cute they were, they were reduced to $5.00 and I was thinking of buying them, but my son reminded me that my male Dozer a) absolutely hates wearing clothes, and b) he loves eating and swallowing socks, so he would probably eat them. I decided it not to buy them. I'm glad I read your thread, it's one more reason not to buy them. Thanks for sharing your scary experience. We all learn from each others experiences good or bad, and you probably saved someone from making the same mistake and saving their bully. Thank you.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=7776]VegasGeorge[/MENTION] So sorry that you had such a scare! Also very glad that you made it to the vet in time and that Lily is okay!! It was a hard lesson to learn but happily she is okay-and you may have saved many other lives by this post. Thank you for the information and so glad all has turned out well for you.

Bella and Dozers Dad

Community Veteran
Feb 2, 2014
Clayton, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dozer and Koda
I knew that dogs exchange heat through their paw pads. But I didn't know how critical that can be. Please take warning that they are dangerous for Bulldogs! Day before yesterday we were at Fashion Show Mall here in Las Vegas with our two Bullies, Lily and Daisy. We were doing routine off leash training, and Lily was wearing a handle harness (like a guide dog would wear) that my wife was using for lateral support. The dogs were not being exercised, no running, jumping, or playing. They were simply slowly walking beside us. Fashion Show is an indoor mall and nicely air conditioned. After about 30 minutes Lily started having breathing problems. I noticed signs of over heating, roaring wheezing sounds, tongue getting purple, etc. We put her in a down position on the cool tile floor, and I got her some cold water. She wasn't getting any better. So we got her back to the car, and I drove her straight to the Emergency Vet's office. She was getting worse, not better, in the car. When I got her there, they rushed her back into treatment, put her to sleep with anesthesia, intubated her, and put her on oxygen. When she woke up during the night, she was fine. They released her to us yesterday morning, and she continues to be fine. Lily and Daisy were wearing Ruffwear Grip Tre Barkin' Boots. I had stupidly forgotten about the foot pad heat transfer issue, and left Lily's boots on her in my rush to get her to the vet. That was good and bad. Bad for Lily's recovery, but good that the vet could see what she was wearing. I was strongly admonished not to put boots on her again. The ER vet told me the boots were the factor that put Lily into an over heated condition. I have to agree with her. Lily has been at Fashion Show many times, and never experienced anything like this. But, day before yesterday, she was wearing the boots for the first time during training. She had only worn them around the house before. This was a very serious incident. I think we came close to losing her during the car trip to the vet. She vomited a bunch of foam, and I had to carry her into the vet's office. This is something you and your Bulldog do not want to experience. So, please, no socks, no boots. Let your Bullies' feet run free!

So very glad it turned out okay, must of been extremely scary!
Just a heads up, never give a over heated dog or human cold water, should be room temperature.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So happy all turned out well and she is home and doing good..... Very scary and a great share of info

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Wow how scary! Like you, although I know the pads are a way of releasing heat I would have never thought about overheating due to boots or socks. Glad your baby is okay!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Sharon Mitchel

Sep 5, 2013
Port Townsend, Washington, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charley, a 5 year old male
Who knew! I thought those boots were a good thing... Keep their feet dry on icy streets, and from burning on hot streets. I've never purchased them. Can't imagine Charley that Charley would be willing to wear them. He even hates his rain coat! I'm so glad you baby was saved in time. Thank you for sharing!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

chemist

Mar 28, 2014
Midwest USA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Beaker
Did you share this with Ruffwear? They have always been a customer service oriented company and maybe they could put a warning on their product and packageing.

OP
V

VegasGeorge

Jan 13, 2013
Sin City in the Great Mojave Desert
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily and Daisy
Yes, I did share this information with Ruffwear. I got a call from one of their customer service people, and they told me the head of their company wanted to talk to me and would call later. Never happened. But, they are on notice about the problem.

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
That's so scary! Happy she's better and home. Thanks for the info! I can't make up my mind if we should get Chubbs a jacket during this negative/single degree weather. [emoji53]

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Wow.. I missed this thread back in August but so glad to read everything turned out OK.

Yesterday we had snow. Blue never had an issue walking in it, but Wellie's paws burned from the salt. I saw him walking funny and sit down each time we had to walk over it.

So I ordered these Amazon.com: Pawz Green Water-Proof Dog Boot, X-Large , Up to 5-Inch: Pet Supplies last night for next day delivery. I have no choice, the salt is hurting him. Hoping
it won't be an issue.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.