So, mom messed up and it could have killed my boy.

BoldDeGuard

Aug 4, 2014
Montana
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir BoldDeGuard
And I'm feeling pretty lousy. I thought I'd share for any new Bully parents out there so they can be warned.

EBN has been very clear about what chews are and are not safe as well as his breeder. I studied and did my due dilligence and I was feeling very safe from worry about choking.

Well, he got into Bells toy box and I guess I didn't clean the dangerous items out of her box and I should have.

Yesterday I put the little man in his xpen so I could get some cleaning done. I was in the kitchen and he in the living room when I heard a vomiting sound. I peaked around the corner to find him pawing at his mouth with both paws, rolling his head back and laying on his side. Fortunately for us both, due to the way my house is built I was able to hear him and get to him in time.

I grabbed the little guy and found he was choking on a pig ear remnant. It was about an inch wide and 4 inches long and he had completely swallowed all but a 1/2 inch. I was able to clear his air way right away and he was fine.

But it put the fear of god into me. I went though the house this morning, checking under beds and looking in closets and have found close to a dozen choking hazards my Lab has stashed around the house.

Ugh, this sucked and I hope I never have to go through this again. I hope this will help someone else keep their babies safe as well. .It happened so fast.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Don't feel lousy. Feel good. You were right on point and kept you little around.

We watch our kids all the time and they still find stuff to put in there mouths.

Great job and don't feel lousy.

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Wow that must have almost given you a heart attack! I remember when chum was small he swallowed a long strip of chewed slippery rawhide that I couldn't pull out of his mouth..I was a basketcase!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Nina, I agree with Roger, don't feel bad, we are only human, and all learn through experience. We do our best to make sure we puppy or dog proof our homes, but we can't be everywhere, and when you have little kids around, they tend to leave toys, items of clothing, paper, crayons and other treasures around, they are kids and tend to be forgetful sometimes, and as you mentioned you have a lab, and he leaves things around. My male Dozer has a sock fettish, and despite us always being careful to make sure all socks go in the hamper, and not on the floor, he has swallowed socks on 4 occasions. If there is a sock somewhere, he will find them. All but one sock was my 6 year old Grandsons little socks, he takes his socks off as soon as he gets in the door from school. I explained to him that Dozer eats them, and we have to be careful not to leave them around, but he forgets and leaves them on the couch, or in his shoes, and Dozer finds them.
We now put them in his backpack, and zip it up. He's getting better as he's older, the incidences mostly happened when he was 5 years old. They are quick and sneaky, when they find stuff. My female Blossom like s to eat things she finds outside, especially cigarette butts, which are toxic to dogs, and of course they are everywhere outside. I'm constantly pulling them out of her mouth and looking at the ground when we walk to avoid the butts. Stout old house, she was able to be off leash as there was no traffic nearby, and she would pick up pinecones, rocks, sticks, and she would immediately run under the car so I couldn't get to her and take away what she was eating. She was so smart.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
So glad that your [MENTION=12543]BoldDeGuard[/MENTION] baby is okay. You really got lucky that you could tell something was wrong! I have progressively had to eliminate toys one by one, as I have "sucker uppers!" My dogs have been so good, when left alone. I came home yesterday, after being gone for 6 hours, and the house looked like an explosion in a sponge factory!! They destroyed one of their beds(that they love, by the way) and there was foam sponge all over! Of course, each one pointed a paw at the other-but I have a pretty good idea who thought of it! I am building a doggy room-but need to find someone to do the elec. Estimates are outrageous for a 12x16 room! I am hoping that not too much sponge was ingested. SpongeBob would be a goner in this house!! I am so happy that you rescued your boy in time! We have to be obsessive with these dogs!!!
Right @calibaker Duct tape didn't work for me!!

OP
B

BoldDeGuard

Aug 4, 2014
Montana
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir BoldDeGuard
Ugh, little stinkers sure do keep us on our toes.

:facepalm2: Well, I just liberated Burt's bees Chapstick tube out of his mouth. The Brat was a sleep on the couch and some how found it under the cushions. Sheesh, I see how today is gonna be.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
@BoldDeGuard They sure would be great Search and Rescue dogs-IF they didn't eat everything they found!!!!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I know exactly how you feel, too exactly. That happened to my older boy when he was only about 4months old. I got there in time, but not a second too soon. Scary, but so glad that you were there to save him.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Oh my god, I would have had a heart attack!!! Brutus is just like this. He eats everything. It drives me nuts. I am constantly trying to get things out of his mouth. We also had a Burts Bees incident. Frankie ate the Burts Bees out of the tube and Brutus tried to eat the tube. Double trouble!!!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Don't feel bad, we have all been there at some point… Bella almost choked to death on this HUGE rawhide that for some ungodly reason she was trying to swallow!!! :yell: Thank GOD my hubby was able to clear her airway… from that day on we have NEVER bought another rawhide.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Nina I too had the same problem on a pigs ear that the vet nurse recommended he needed for teething and then I joined EBN and saw they were not recommended so I informed this nurse about they are not good for bulldogs, its a very scary thing to see happen but luckily we have all been there and cleared it out of their airways.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
So happy you heard him and was able to pull iy out in time. They will eat anything.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:hug: How incredibly scary! Thank goodness you heard him and were close enough to react! Don't be so hard on yourself, accidents happen.... And know we all learn from it too

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
I am so glad that Your Bully is ok, You are a Great Mom, You saved him, and he knows that. Love to You and Your Bully.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.