Trainig 3-4 year old Resuce

jmag70

Aug 17, 2014
I plan on rescuing a 3-4 year old bulldog is it to late to do obedience training with him?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Thank you for taking him in and giving him another chance. I would let him get used to you and the new house for awhile before I would get too involved with the training. See how he is and what he needs work on, then start with the basics, he will learn.

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
We have a 3 year old rescue, Brutus. In his short life he was passed from home to home and never has been told No. We made sure he was integrated with our house before we took him to training classes and it is never too late. Just have extreme patience. We still deal DAILY with brutus. He's total boy and does what he wants despite being told no. He's getting there but the road is long with him. Brutus is very smart and learned his commands but he decides what he wants to listen to. Good Luck!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you for rescuing! Never too late to train them..... David and Jennie gave you some great advice to start with your new bully.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

:welcome3: to EBN

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
Dogs, no matter the age, are trainable. You just have to have lots of patience and love :). Goodluck and kudos for rescuing!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Great advise above, also set a certain amount of boundaries and start a routine right away. Bulldogs love routine and it will help reduce the stress levels. Mainly feeding times and potty break times /walks should already be set in stone as those will be most of the routine they will look for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
jmag70

jmag70

Aug 17, 2014
Thanks everyone! I will be picking him up on Saturday. What is the best way to introduce him to the family and house?

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Don't overwhelm him and just let him sniff around, maybe give him a place of his own until he feels comfortable to roam around, maybe a crate. Give him boundaries to get used to everyone and everything. Let us know how it goes and share some photos!

OP
jmag70

jmag70

Aug 17, 2014
394a1f3a4e1cda1aadec3811222f6f8d.jpg

OP
jmag70

jmag70

Aug 17, 2014
Brought Mack home today. What a great boy!

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
How's Mack doing?

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Hiya-first of all you done wonderful thing taking on a unwanted pet - i would agree -let him settle -but if you are planning to put any rules into action do it straight away so it wont confuse him - for instance -no sleeping on the couch etc
With obedience training - you can start leash training and simple commands -like sit ,stay pretty much straight away -and dont forget treats :-)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.