Why Leave Your Dog at Home When You Can Take Him Along?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Why Leave Fido at Home When You Can Take Him Along?

August 14, 2014
Spread the Word to
Friends And Family
By Sharing this Article
By Dr. Becker

Many pet owners these days want to take their dog (or much less often, their cat or other pet) along with them when they leave the house – to run errands, enjoy a weekend away, or even on longer trips.

Some people who work full-time outside the home can't bear to leave their furry family member behind on their days off. Others have adopted a lifestyle specifically designed around the needs of their pet, which includes bringing them with them wherever they go.

Fortunately, there's an ever-growing list of invaluable resources people can access to locate pet-friendly businesses right in their neighborhood, or as they travel cross-country.

Offline Resources

The American Automobile Association (AAA) offers its Traveling with Your Pet: The AAA PetBook, which this year includes a new section that lists several hundred "AAA Approved and Diamond Rated" restaurants throughout the U.S. and Canada that accommodate pets in outside dining areas. The PetBook also includes detailed listings of over 13,000 hotels and 800 campgrounds that welcome pets, plus lists of pet-friendly national recreation areas and attractions, and dog parks. The AAA PetBook also offers tips on packing, pet etiquette, and emergency vet clinics.

National Geographic's The Dog Lover's Guide to Travel bills itself as the "ultimate resource for traveling with your furry friend." The guide features hundreds of dog-friendly locations, from doggy daycare centers to canine cruises. Special features include walks you can enjoy with your dog, and information from locals on how to best enjoy the area with your canine companion. The author gives readers the scoop on pet-friendly hotels, restaurants, beaches, parks, dog runs, and dog-friendly attractions. The guide also features 75 of the best pet-friendly destinations throughout the U.S. and Canada.

Online Resources

The following online resources provide a wealth of links and information on pet-friendly hotels, vacation rentals, timeshares, campgrounds and RV parks, restaurants and bars, attractions and activities.

PetFriendlyTravel.com
Bring Fido
GoPetFriendly.com
PetsWelcome.com
Take Your Pet
DogTrekker
PetFriendly.Travel
Pet Hotels of America
Pet Friendly Travel on Facebook
Pet-Friendly Outdoor Activities & Travel on Pinterest

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
This is great advise! We are always looking for places that will take pets. Another tip is to search an area with Tripadvisor.com. You can select preferences for your results and "pet friendly" is an option in the field. That way you get a list of only the pet friendly hotels, inns and B&Bs in the area you are looking to stay.

OP
Vikinggirl

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
It's nice to see that places are starting to allow pets, since many feel like our pets are part of our family, and we like to take them along with us. I see more pet friendly stores, and more stores around my neighbourhood are leaving water bowls outside. It would be nice if more hotels offered pet friendly rooms.

BoldDeGuard

Aug 4, 2014
Montana
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir BoldDeGuard
Wow, nice info! I agree 100% mine are family and go everywhere with me. We took Bells to Billings last Christmas, stayed at the Hilton with her. Everyone was so accommodating, they even upgraded us to a suite(hubby does a lot of business with them) . I brought her potty bells that hang on the door and we never had any issues. For meals, we set an alarm and visited her every 15 minutes while she waited in the car. She had chews and a kong and didn't seem to mind at all.

Any errands I do in town (heat depending) she goes along and we do a special petco stop, during summer we do brunch where she can go and meet all the people at Saturday market. Besides that, we are all about camping next to water so she can have a vacation too. We can't wait for Bolders shots so he can get off the farm too :)

We didn't have skin kids.......Just furry 3 and 4 legged ones

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.