Brilloluna

Jul 20, 2014
Northern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cricket (2014-) Willa: (2001-2013)
Hi-
I'm going rafting/kayaking next month. It's with a German Shepherd group, and I'm bringing Cricket along for the festivities. (There'll be two people per boat, so I think it's kayaking.. but not sure). I am NOT putting Cricket on a boat without a vest- that's not an option for me. She won't be in the water, but I want a vest on her, in case she falls in.

The bottom line is, I'm a teacher who works for the state, so my budget is limited. However, I'm not crazy enough to skimp to the point where it's dangerous for Cricket. She's a little pup- 23 pounds at 6 1/2 months. Her chest is 21.5 inches around, and her neck is about 14 inches around...

What size vest should I be looking at? (It seems ruffwear is the safest for bulldogs.. I tried the petco store brand and.. looking at how it fits, I see how it won't help her much in the water- her face is just going to go under, and that's what I need to avoid..)

Secondly, does anyone know where I could get a vest on a trial basis, just for this trip? I'm willing to pay for postage and rental fees for a vest that would fit Little Cricket. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. It's hard to justify a $55-70 purchase for something I'm not sure Cricket will use more than once.. I haven't tested her with water, really, so I don't know if she'll be a swimmer or not.. Can anyone help? I'd consider buying a vest, if I can get about 80% of the money back after I use it, provided I can sell it to someone who can use it...

Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated...

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well I'm not sure it would be a good idea to have her in a boat in the rapids just in case she fell in while n some rough rapids. The life vest work OK, but that's in calm water not rapids. I would not chance it, just my opinion.

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
Hi-
I'm going rafting/kayaking next month. It's with a German Shepherd group, and I'm bringing Cricket along for the festivities. (There'll be two people per boat, so I think it's kayaking.. but not sure). I am NOT putting Cricket on a boat without a vest- that's not an option for me. She won't be in the water, but I want a vest on her, in case she falls in.

The bottom line is, I'm a teacher who works for the state, so my budget is limited. However, I'm not crazy enough to skimp to the point where it's dangerous for Cricket. She's a little pup- 23 pounds at 6 1/2 months. Her chest is 21.5 inches around, and her neck is about 14 inches around...

What size vest should I be looking at? (It seems ruffwear is the safest for bulldogs.. I tried the petco store brand and.. looking at how it fits, I see how it won't help her much in the water- her face is just going to go under, and that's what I need to avoid..)

Secondly, does anyone know where I could get a vest on a trial basis, just for this trip? I'm willing to pay for postage and rental fees for a vest that would fit Little Cricket. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. It's hard to justify a $55-70 purchase for something I'm not sure Cricket will use more than once.. I haven't tested her with water, really, so I don't know if she'll be a swimmer or not.. Can anyone help? I'd consider buying a vest, if I can get about 80% of the money back after I use it, provided I can sell it to someone who can use it...

Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated...

Leo and Lola go swimming regularly at the dog water therapy pool. They have their own life vests which are pretty cheap on amazon ($15-$20). Lola is a 33 lb bulldog and the size medium fits her but is pretty snug. Leo is about 42 lbs and he wears a size large. The vests hold them up just fine and they are the same as those sold at Petco. If she is 23 lbs, get a medium. Her face will not go under water, as her natural instinct is to keep her head up. There are floats that can go around the neck that can be worn in addition to the vest. The brand is Sea Dogg. I believe they ship out of Canada.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
try ebay... you might find a used one for a good price. But, just my opinion, I would not chance her on the boat even with a vest... just too risky since the majority of Bulldogs can not swim.

otherwise, have a great trip and share some pictures with us

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
Hey [MENTION=12428]Brilloluna[/MENTION] I sorta agree with [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] here. As your dogs safety is a must. Before taking you dog anywhere near the water I would ask friends what the water is like?. Have they done it before ?
Was it safe?
If anything happened you would never forgive yourself

RalphieBoy

Community Veteran
Jul 1, 2014
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Emmitt
Leave Cricket at home. Chances are high Cricket will freak out just putting on the life jacket. We watch the boys like hawks when they go near the pool much less moving water. If Your and Crickets goal is have a good time you will be more relaxed without Cricket and I'm sure Cricket will snooze comfortably while your gone.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.