Bella and Dozers Dad

Community Veteran
Feb 2, 2014
Clayton, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dozer and Koda
Sunday I was at Walmart and picked up a dog toy for the pups, Mammoth Tire Biter which is a small car tire with a rope attached to it. Got home around 3:00 PM and threw it in to the pups corral and they went for it big time playing tug o war and as Bella is she played with it the most.
By about 5:30pm they had torn the tire some so in the garbage it went. A few minutes later Bella started puking her lunch up and then clear liquid and she was looking and feeling like :poo:.
At 6:00pm I made there dinner but Bella would not eat and kept puking. Dozer ate his food with no problems untill 8:pm rolled around and he started puking as well and did not stop till around 9:30-10:00pm. I did mix some pepto-bismol with some ice cream and Dozer would not eat it but Bella did and she started to look a little better by the time I put her to bed.

I got up twice in the middle of the night to check on both pups, Bella seem to be okay but Dozer was not him self, talk about being scared to death over this whole thing!!!!
The next day they were both back to there normal selfs and both ate there breakfast.

Of course the damn toy is made in China! I went and got the toy out of the garbage and smelled it and it reeked real bad, so and I'm thinking some thing on the surface of the toy got them sick.
I was at pet smart yesterday and saw the same toy being sold by a different company.

IMG_1816 (450x800).jpgIMG_1817 (800x450).jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:whew: ah geeze... what a scare! We have to be so so careful anymore -- thanks for the heads up!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
@Bella and Dozers Dad Happy that the kids are okay. Mine have an old tire that came off a wheelbarrow. They used to play with it, when they were pups. I try not to buy anything that says China on it-and that ain't easy!! It wouldn't surprise me if China has a plot..............:evil:

OP
B

Bella and Dozers Dad

Community Veteran
Feb 2, 2014
Clayton, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dozer and Koda
@Bella and Dozers Dad Happy that the kids are okay. Mine have an old tire that came off a wheelbarrow. They used to play with it, when they were pups. I try not to buy anything that says China on it-and that ain't easy!! It wouldn't surprise me if China has a plot..............:evil:

Thank you Lynn the wheelbarrow tire is a great idea and will be stoping by Lowes for one this week just hope they are not made in China:no:
You have to wonder if we all stop buy China made stuff, would are jobs come back here?

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
that is scary!!! I'm glad they are ok I would call the company or at least where you got it an tell them both dogs got sick from playing with it I hope no other dogs get sick!!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Thank you for the warning. I've seen that same tire toy at a pet store I love going to and have been tempted to buy it, but I won't now!

It is hard finding dog toys (or much of anything lately), that are made in USA. But here are some brands that still do produce their dog toys here:

Nylabone (most of their toys are produced in USA)
Kong (some of their squeaker toys and Wubba's are produced in China but the standard rubber ones are from USA)
West Paw Design
Planet Dog
Go Dog

Of course, just 'cuz toys are made in USA doesn't mean they're "safe" either...as we all already know, we gotta watch our bullies when they're playing with any toy. But at least with the USA brands, they are free of any toxic dyes or chemicals (at least I hope and think this is the case).

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Thanks for the heads up, how scary!!! I swear we have to read the labels on EVERYTHING these days, it's ridiculous!!!

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
I am so glad that your Babies are ok. Thank You for the Info. I will always look at where it is made. Coming from China is no good to buy their stuff.

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
I have also looked at these toys. I don't buy anything for Henry that's not made in USA. It's hard! Hubby is a huge believer in purchasing as much USA products as possible. When we first got Henry I got a huge basket full of toys and a pet store and he made me put them all back and search the labels for US made. He says that if they're willing to poison our children they won't give a crap about our pets. JW Pet also has many made in USA toys. They are softer rubber and Henry loves them, especially the squeaky teddy. I bought 2! Good luck finding good toys.

BoldDeGuard

Aug 4, 2014
Montana
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir BoldDeGuard
Well I am glad Sir BoldeGuard did not get sick!!
Does the one you have smell real bad?

No it doesn't seem to smell, but I'm not one to take chances with the kids. I'm glad your babies are ok now. Thats really scary. I do feel bad when I buy chineese products but sheesh we just aren't given enough alternatives any more.

ZuleikaD

Mar 3, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tallulah
I bought one, too, and Tallulah had pieces coming off of it within 5 minutes—about as fast as she can put holes in a stuffed toy. I took it and the pieces and have it with the receipt. I'm going to take it back to Petco. It shouldn't come apart that fast. I did notice that it smelled, but it smelled like a regular tire, so that didn't surprise me.

I picked up a Zogoflex Hurley Dog Bone by West Paw Design this week and it's holding up really well as a chew toy and she liked it right away.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.