brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Ok so I need some advice. Frankie was free fed at his old house. Since we've had him, I have been feeding him on Brutus' schedule, 1 cup twice a day. Lately he has not been eating his morning food. I switched his food thinking that maybe he was bored, but he still isn't eating it. He scarfs down his dinner though. So my question is, should I try to only feed him once at dinner time? Do you think he will be starving with only one feeding? Why do you think all of a sudden he is doing this? I get so nervous when they deviate from the normal routine. Any help is appreciated. :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Nitschke was like this... he went through phases of not eating in the morning... no real reason, but I always blamed his allergies.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=9370]brutus77[/MENTION] I would offer it in the a.m. if he doesn't want it, save it for dinner. As long as he eats his dinner meal-I wouldn't worry. Two of mine sometimes don't eat at dinner time, but want to eat it just before bedtime! If it worries you, you could try putting some yogurt on his breakfast!

OP
brutus77

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I have been just periodically offering it and if he doesn't eat it, I just give him extra at dinner time. I can't give him yogurt because he is lactose intolerant and he gets bad poopies. I just wanted reassurance that he's not dying cuz of course that is immediately where my mind goes as soon as one of my babies acts funny! :ashamed: Sorry, I'm neurotic :girlwacko:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I would still offer him breakfast, and if he refuses just give him more at dinner. Have you tried adding some other foods like fruits to get his appetite going? Sometimes I think they get bored w/the same ol' kibble...

OP
brutus77

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I would still offer him breakfast, and if he refuses just give him more at dinner. Have you tried adding some other foods like fruits to get his appetite going? Sometimes I think they get bored w/the same ol' kibble...
I was scrambling him an egg which he loved but I thought this was making the matter worse because if I didn't put the "extras" in it he would refuse.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I have been just periodically offering it and if he doesn't eat it, I just give him extra at dinner time. I can't give him yogurt because he is lactose intolerant and he gets bad poopies. I just wanted reassurance that he's not dying cuz of course that is immediately where my mind goes as soon as one of my babies acts funny! :ashamed: Sorry, I'm neurotic :girlwacko:

From one neurotic to another, I would be having catastrophic thoughts too. I think Frankie's okay, he's just not as hungry in the am right now, for whatever reason. As long as he's eating his dinner and acting normally otherwise, I wouldn't worry, Rosalie!

OP
brutus77

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
From one neurotic to another, I would be having catastrophic thoughts too. I think Frankie's okay, he's just not as hungry in the am right now, for whatever reason. As long as he's eating his dinner and acting normally otherwise, I wouldn't worry, Rosalie!
Thanks Henny. I am so bad when it comes to my boys. I worry so much. It is really quite unhealthy. I have never felt about another animal as I do for these babies. And that is saying alot because I have always loved all of my animals. These boys are just something special. Frankie is acting normal otherwise so I will ride it out and see what happens.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Rosalie, I totally get it!:yes:

I believe our dogs are like babies and kids in that they will just eat when they are hungry; not like us human grown-ups who go by a clock and say, "oh, it's 7am, must be time for breakfast then!" I'm really getting into this book on Intuitive Eating lately. Hey, i wonder if Frankie got the same book and that's why the change in his eating habits?! :hmm:

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Ha ha we all think the same..I had both chum and Hershey to the vet in the past 2 weeks for throwing up and diarrhea..we always think the worst...
I feed them both some sliced banana and/or apples in the am...sometimes they just don't want it..if he's not eating his dinner too I'd be more concerned..I've always fed once a day..at night..until Hershey came and I read everyone on here pretty much splits the food up between morning and night...
good luck Rosalie! Keep us posted.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online