Torn ACL Questions

Jlambe

Aug 7, 2013
Dallas, Tx
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack Daddy
So this weekend I took Mack to the vet to look at his back leg because we was limping every now and then, well we found out that he has a torn ACL, the vet said the knee feels loose compared to the other one and he didn't do x rays because he didn't think it wouldn't gain us any new information. He mentioned doing two different types of surgery, one that basically uses a very strong piece of fishing string which less expensive then TPLO. My question are there any other options, Mack only limps occasionally and doesn't even act like he is hurt. He runs and plays around in the house like before he was hurt. I try to keep him calm around other dogs and don't things get out of hand jumping around and such.

I am just looking for advice, personal experiences, can I wait and see if mother nature takes care of him and possibly do surgery later? I have read articles online saying, even though the dog gets surgery, they still get OA in the surgical repaired knee. I just want to learn as much as I can before I make a decision.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Hello Jim and Mack Daddy. My Jewel is now 4 day post-op TPLO of her right hind leg so I though I would chime in here. Here is a link http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=3547&EVetID=900000072 . We had this done because for us it was a quality of life issue for our Jewel. She loves to run and play and the vet stated it just something that happens. And if untreated, will limp and develop arthritis. There are other procedures available with less recovery time which you can find on the veterinary partner website. I guess you have to decide what is best for your Mack Daddy.

Jewel currently is restricted to her crate and is only out to go potty. It has been tense for me to see my girl hobble on three legs. I made a make-shift litter with a blanket and carry her out to our yard so she does not have to do any more hobbling than is necessary to pee and poo.

I will be providing more updates as time goes on. I hope this helps.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You can do crate rest for several days/weeks to see if it will heal up some on its own. We did this with our buy years ago, but he ended up getting a full rip and having to have the surgery twice in a 3 month time frame.... first one we failed to keep him settled and the line snapped. The second one was a complete success and he had did real well after the recovery period.

OP
Jlambe

Jlambe

Aug 7, 2013
Dallas, Tx
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack Daddy
You can do crate rest for several days/weeks to see if it will heal up some on its own. We did this with our buy years ago, but he ended up getting a full rip and having to have the surgery twice in a 3 month time frame.... first one we failed to keep him settled and the line snapped. The second one was a complete success and he had did real well after the recovery period.

That was kinda what I am doing, I try not to let him run or jump on anything and I usually just pick him up to put him on the bed or couch. I live in a apartment complex so he is always on a leash. The vet gave me some pills to help him out, so I was thinking about giving it awhile and see what happens. From the day he was limping till now, there is a big difference where he use to limp all the time and now every now and then, maybe once every other day.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.