Thread: HELP, Our A/C is out and its hot in house, what to do with Bully

Potty Trainer
    Real Name
    Amanda
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Eleanor Rigby aka. Ellie 4 years and Beaux who is 4months.
    Likes (Received)

Default HELP, Our A/C is out and its hot in house, what to do with Bully

Hi All-

Our A/C went out last night and we packed up and took Ellie to my inlaws for the night. Today I brought her back home while I wait for the A/C people to come. Its 85 in the house and I have fans blowing and she has water. What else can I do to keep her cool. I am worried she will get too hot. She is panting, but still acting like her normal self eating her marrow bone.

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: HELP, Our A/C is out and its hot in house, what to do with Bully

Oh what a bummer!!! Do you have a fan available?!! I would put her in a room w/a tile floor… like the bathroom and place a bowl of ice water in front of the fan so it's "almost" like AC. Just don't let her tip the bowl over and get electrocuted

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin' groomzilla Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Ron
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chance
    Likes (Received)

A nice cool bath should help, or asking a neighbor to watch over her until the ac is fixed

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Roger
    Country
    USA
    Somewhere in the Universe. Wish you were here!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jewel and Bentley
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Based on your location and I know how hot it gets in Texas (used to live there), keep ice water on hand. You might want to put a bag of ice in the bath tub for Ellie and definitely keep the fans blowing. There are also pet cooling mats which I have for my kids except Jewel thought it was a new chew toy. You also may want to take Ellie to an air conditioned pet friendly store to hang out until your A/C is fixed.

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rjisaterp View Post
    Based on your location and I know how hot it gets in Texas (used to live there), keep ice water on hand. You might want to put a bag of ice in the bath tub for Ellie and definitely keep the fans blowing. There are also pet cooling mats which I have for my kids except Jewel thought it was a new chew toy. You also may want to take Ellie to an air conditioned pet friendly store to hang out until your A/C is fixed.
    I don't want to alarm you but be VERY careful w/those cooling mats. We have a member who's dog inhaled a piece of that mat and he passed away… the material inside those mats are toxic.

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Real Name
    Roger
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jewel and Bentley
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ddnene View Post
    I don't want to alarm you but be VERY careful w/those cooling mats. We have a member who's dog inhaled a piece of that mat and he passed away… the material inside those mats are toxic.
    Thank you. They are only used under supervision. I kind of figured the contents maybe harmful.

Potty Trainer
    Real Name
    Amanda
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Eleanor Rigby aka. Ellie 4 years and Beaux who is 4months.
    Likes (Received)

thank you all very much! The A/C man is here and I am feeling cool air as we speak. Hopefully its close to being fixed and my kiddos will cool down quickly.

Real Name
    Roger
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jewel and Bentley
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaPeterson View Post
    thank you all very much! The A/C man is here and I am feeling cool air as we speak. Hopefully its close to being fixed and my kiddos will cool down quickly.
    Wonderful news.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaPeterson View Post
    great news.... hope it is a quick and inexpensive fix!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

The New Casper Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Glad to hear it is getting fixed. For emergency situations get a 5 gallon bucket with a lid on it. line it with a Styrofoam cooler and drill 3 large holes in the side of it and glue sections of PVC pipe of the same size in the holes. Get a small fan and cut the top lid so the fan will rest face down and blow air into the bucket. Place a frozen 1 gallon milk jug in the bucket and put the lid on it. Place the fan on top and secure it and plug it in. You have a poor mans AC unit to get you by and cool a small area for several hours. There are several videos on Youtube that show how to make them.
    Bulldogs are like potato chips. You just can't stop with one.

Remove Ads