HELP, Our A/C is out and its hot in house, what to do with Bully

AmandaPeterson

Feb 10, 2014
New Braunfels, Texas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Eleanor Rigby aka. Ellie 4 years and Beaux who is 4months.
Hi All-

Our A/C went out last night and we packed up and took Ellie to my inlaws for the night. Today I brought her back home while I wait for the A/C people to come. Its 85 in the house and I have fans blowing and she has water. What else can I do to keep her cool. I am worried she will get too hot. She is panting, but still acting like her normal self eating her marrow bone.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh what a bummer!!! Do you have a fan available?!! I would put her in a room w/a tile floor… like the bathroom and place a bowl of ice water in front of the fan so it's "almost" like AC. Just don't let her tip the bowl over and get electrocuted :ohmy:

schimpfy

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin'
Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver British Columbia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
A nice cool bath should help, or asking a neighbor to watch over her until the ac is fixed

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Based on your location and I know how hot it gets in Texas (used to live there), keep ice water on hand. You might want to put a bag of ice in the bath tub for Ellie and definitely keep the fans blowing. There are also pet cooling mats which I have for my kids except Jewel thought it was a new chew toy. You also may want to take Ellie to an air conditioned pet friendly store to hang out until your A/C is fixed.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Based on your location and I know how hot it gets in Texas (used to live there), keep ice water on hand. You might want to put a bag of ice in the bath tub for Ellie and definitely keep the fans blowing. There are also pet cooling mats which I have for my kids except Jewel thought it was a new chew toy. You also may want to take Ellie to an air conditioned pet friendly store to hang out until your A/C is fixed.

I don't want to alarm you but be VERY careful w/those cooling mats. We have a member who's dog inhaled a piece of that mat and he passed away… the material inside those mats are toxic.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
I don't want to alarm you but be VERY careful w/those cooling mats. We have a member who's dog inhaled a piece of that mat and he passed away… the material inside those mats are toxic.

Thank you. They are only used under supervision. I kind of figured the contents maybe harmful.

OP
A

AmandaPeterson

Feb 10, 2014
New Braunfels, Texas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Eleanor Rigby aka. Ellie 4 years and Beaux who is 4months.
thank you all very much! The A/C man is here and I am feeling cool air as we speak. Hopefully its close to being fixed and my kiddos will cool down quickly.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
thank you all very much! The A/C man is here and I am feeling cool air as we speak. Hopefully its close to being fixed and my kiddos will cool down quickly.

:whew: great news.... hope it is a quick and inexpensive fix!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Glad to hear it is getting fixed. For emergency situations get a 5 gallon bucket with a lid on it. line it with a Styrofoam cooler and drill 3 large holes in the side of it and glue sections of PVC pipe of the same size in the holes. Get a small fan and cut the top lid so the fan will rest face down and blow air into the bucket. Place a frozen 1 gallon milk jug in the bucket and put the lid on it. Place the fan on top and secure it and plug it in. You have a poor mans AC unit to get you by and cool a small area for several hours. There are several videos on Youtube that show how to make them.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.