Breeders Giving Their Own Shots?

HoustonBullyLover

Aug 5, 2014
Houston, Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky
Our new puppy had his 1st visit to the vet today. We when picked up Rocky from the breeder he gave us a chart with his shots (he'd had 2 rounds & worming). Each set of shots had the vial's label attached to the chart. The label listed the expiration date, how to store the meds until given to the puppy and the brand name. I promptly delivered those to our vet when we met today. Vet informed me she does not recognize breeder shots because they are often expired (remember the labels I gave her had the expiration dates on it) and she said breeders don't know how to store them properly (although those directions were on the labels as well). She said only first class breeders take their pups to actual vets for their shots. So apparently she didn't think my breeder was first class. Although she didn't even ask who he was. :sneaky2:

I'm annoyed because although this breeder is a small operation he cares very much for his dogs and he was very thorough with us on the care of the puppy. He had mom and dad on site.

So, is this normal for a vet to do? My husband said it was her (the vet) way of making more money because she insisted on starting the vacs all over again. He wanted to deny her and go to another vet but there we were in her office, etc....

Puppy has had diarrhea for a few days because of the food change. She told me to feed him rice, white canned chicken breast & pumpkin for 3 days and then slowly reintroduce the food. We're using Fromm Puppy Gold.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I have always given my own shots to all my pups as well as my adults except rabies. If I were you I would refuse giving all those extra shots!

The key would be making sure the first shot was given 3 weeks after the pups were weaned as the shot is uneffective if the pup is still protected by the mothers antibodies from her milk, which lasts another 2-3 weeks after weaned. Most EB breeders wean at around 4 weeks.

Your vets advice about the bland diet is good :up:

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
I think the vet is trying to make more money. Did she discuss the dangers of over vaccinating ? I bet not. I don't know too many breeders of any kind if dog that don't do their own shots. Shots are easy to give and it does not take a brain surgeon to store vaccines properly. I would recommend finding a new vet. Lol

BoldDeGuard

Aug 4, 2014
Montana
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir BoldDeGuard
^^^^ Agree, over vaccinating can be dangerous. That vet sounds....Meh.. Find a better one.

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
when we got franklin I tried to give him Fromm puppy gold he had :poo: so bad every hour for 6 days straight I think it was to rich for him or something he's still on Fromm but when he was a puppy I couldn't give puppy food. he eats pork & peas now he's great on it to we went through a couple of the flavors before we found the right one

OP
H

HoustonBullyLover

Aug 5, 2014
Houston, Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky
Funny you all mention over vaccinating because she actually said you can't over vaccinate a puppy. :sneaky2:

My husband refuses to go there again. They've done our vacs for our mix breed dog but this is our first new puppy with them.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I agree. I have given my dogs their vaccinations many times. I also give the donkeys theirs. As long as the breeder had the records, and the shot labels, with expiration dates, I would have them given the next one that is due-not re do all of them.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Funny you all mention over vaccinating because she actually said you can't over vaccinate a puppy. :sneaky2:

My husband refuses to go there again. They've done our vacs for our mix breed dog but this is our first new puppy with them.

I am agreeing with the hubby, I would find a new vet

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
[MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION] that is very interesting...Prior to chums over vaccination last year he was allergic to nothing..since then I haven't found a food he doesn't show some kind of allergic reaction to..and his head tremors increased tremendously since the day after the shot. It's my own fault for allowing it..I asked the vet didn't he get that 3 yr shot last year and believed him when he said no...it's sad to see your efforts to keep them healthy and safe end up hurting them.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Your vet is just trying to make more money off you. A lot of breeders give their own shots. Plus you can over vaccinate your pup and it's not good. Since you live in the Houston area, I will PM you a good bully vet that we use. There are several good vets there that know bullies, and they are honest too.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.