Worried about Spay

AmandaPeterson

Feb 10, 2014
New Braunfels, Texas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Eleanor Rigby aka. Ellie 4 years and Beaux who is 4months.
Hi All. My baby Eleanor Rigby is being spayed tomorrow. She is one year old. She went into heat last month and we think now she is totally out of heat as well as false pregnancy and ready to be spayed. When I spoke to the vet tech that called and confirmed our appointment she indicated that Ellie will be spending the night at the vet office as they list bulldogs critical once they come out of surgery. Is this normal procedure? The reason I ask is because we have pugs and they have never needed to spend the night. Also I am concerned as she has a narrow trachea as well as an elongated soft palate.

Are there any tips or tricks that I need to be aware of as well as any signs to look out for if something emergent is happening?

I appreciate the responses.

- Amanda

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
As long as your vet is a good bully vet, you should not have a problem. I would also let them fix the elongated palate too while she is in there.

Samantha Orts

Jul 12, 2013
TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
June
June didn't have to stay the night, but I've heard of many that do just to be on the safe side. I will keep Ellie in my thoughts and prayers that everything goes smoothly :)

Bella and Dozers Dad

Community Veteran
Feb 2, 2014
Clayton, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dozer and Koda
Just want though this a week ago today with my nine month old girl and she stayed the night with no problems. I'm sure your Rigby will be fine.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Sending lots of hugs and positive thoughts to you and Ellie! How is she doing -- did you hear anything yet?

OP
A

AmandaPeterson

Feb 10, 2014
New Braunfels, Texas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Eleanor Rigby aka. Ellie 4 years and Beaux who is 4months.
I just spoke to the vet. She did fine. She still had some blood supply in her uterus even though her heat ended almost a month ago. He said that was no big deal and he just had a close a few extra vessels. He said she is breathing well now and doing good.

Her trachea is very narrow which we saw on x-ray when she had pneumonia. The surgery confirmed this. She does have an elongated palate which we thought and referred us to a surgery clinic in San Antonio. Also she has stenotic nares which he said before that they looked good, but I guess that has changed.

I also got a long lecture about grain-free food and that allergies to food are in the proteins not the grains. That just makes me laugh.

Anyway- we pick her up tomorrow morning and I cant wait to get her home. I hope she isn't in a lot of pain!

Thank you all for asking how she is doing. :heartsign:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I just spoke to the vet. She did fine. She still had some blood supply in her uterus even though her heat ended almost a month ago. He said that was no big deal and he just had a close a few extra vessels. He said she is breathing well now and doing good.

Her trachea is very narrow which we saw on x-ray when she had pneumonia. The surgery confirmed this. She does have an elongated palate which we thought and referred us to a surgery clinic in San Antonio. Also she has stenotic nares which he said before that they looked good, but I guess that has changed.

I also got a long lecture about grain-free food and that allergies to food are in the proteins not the grains. That just makes me laugh.

Anyway- we pick her up tomorrow morning and I cant wait to get her home. I hope she isn't in a lot of pain!

Thank you all for asking how she is doing. :heartsign:

Give her big hugs for all of us

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Happy that Ellie came through her surgery well. Hope she continues to do well ! All mine have always acted like nothing happened!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.