Some questions from a newbie

wonderboynj

Aug 1, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Hi everyone!

My name is Brian and I don't yet have a bulldog, but it's looking like I will be bringing home a rescue that I've applied to adopt in the next few days.

I've never had a bulldog and I have a few questions if you might indulge, since I want to be ready.

The bulldog I have applied to adopt is a stray he was found wandering the streets, he's about 5 years old and is completely white except for his nose and I think a spot on his ear. He is adorable. My condition on the adoption is that I have 5 cats, and if I am bringing a dog into my home he has to be tolerable of them. One of them is blind so I am especially worried about her, though I know she will be fine.

Thursday, the bully (whose name is currently Momo) passed his cat test. They said as long as the introductions are slow he should be fine with cats.

Anyway.

What should I have here ready for him to go? I would like to buy a few toys but should I wait until he's actually here to get some? I understand some dogs are just not into them at all, so maybe it's best to just take him to the store where he can pick out his own? lol

My cats have lots and lots of toys which get strewn about. I live in a duplex apartment. The downstairs is the kitchen, bathroom, my roommates bedroom, and a big hallway plus the backyard. Upstairs is my bedroom, plus a big parlor area. When home I spend most of my time downstairs except for sleeping. The cats stay mostly upstairs as my roommate is allergic. Initially the bulldog will stay downstairs until he is used to me and I start the cat introductions. I say that because of the cat toys, should I be concerned about him eating them intentionally or accidentally?

I haven't had a dog as an adult, though I have had several as a kid. My grandmother also had a kennel and I worked with her doing obedience on her dogs. My roommate previously had a bully so I am not completely on my own here.

Any advice you guys have for me would be wonderful, I am going to spend the next few days reading everything I can find.

Oh and one more question, how much food can I expect that a 50 pound bully will eat?

Thanks everyone! :)

Brian
IMG_0366.jpg

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pork Chop (2009-2019) Bruschi
Welcome to the forum. He's cute! I can answer the toy part, best to wait and see if he likes them.
As for the cats , most rescue profiles will say if he/ she likes them. At least, where I got my rescue indicates it. Mine has to be the only one in the home. She doesn't like cats and other dogs. Natural diva ? Lol
I love my girl wouldn't trade her for the world . I only had her going on 8 months.
I would think the organization or place would provide you all the details about your future EBD. Best to you!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Brian, welcome to EBN, and Congratulations on your new Baby. I hope it works out with the cats. It's so great that you are rescuing this baby. The best place to start is on the Home Page, there are many great articles for new bully parents, such as Bringing home your puppy, and there is a list on what supplies you will need for a bully, they tend to be very sensitive to many things, and they also require daily care of their nose ropes, ears, eyes, and tail pockets. There is also a Dog Food Rating Forum, which lists the dog food brands by a star rating. You want to choose a dogfood with a 4 to 6 star rating to get the best and healthiest food for your EB. Examples of these foods are Wellness, Blue Buffalo, Fromm's, Orijen, and Arcana. Many EB's are allergic to chicken and salmon, and are also sensitive to grains, so it's best to avoid these things. The kong toys are great for bullies, as they are tough to chew, and will withstand their strong jaws. My guys can't have any soft toys, stuffed toys or small toys that are s,aller than their mouths, as they eat them. You can buy him one or two of these things, but supervise him until you know how he will play with them, if he is a chewer, or if he can have these things. I would also watch the cat toys, as these may be too small and he could accidentally swallow them, and get an obstruction. I would also be careful with the stairs, he may not be able to climb up and down the stairs. Bully bodies have short legs, and they are top heavy, due to the shape and size of their front bodies (chest), and their heads, which could cause him to fall down the stairs.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to EBN! Thank you for rescuing, he sure is a handsome boy!

you seem to know what needs to happen, with the cat toys... Pick them up until he is comfortable and you have him acclimated to the cats and then via introductions, slowly place the toys and teach him not to take them. Since cat toys are smaller, I would be concerned he might eat them and that would lead to no fun for any of you.

as for food... 1 cup 2x a day of a high quality grain free and chicken free food. Bulldogs tend to have issues/allergies to grains so it is best to avoid if possible.

best of luck and let us see pictures of the 'gotcha day' ,,,

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Welcome Brian:) and thank you so much for adopting:w00t: Momo looks like a cutie<3 I'd be checking him with the cat toys so he doesn't eat them, bulldogs like to keep us on our toes:tongue:

Most Reactions