Advice Needed

karlajgee

Jun 13, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Murphy
I just had the worst night ever last night with my bully. We switched his food a couple days ago for what seems like the 10th time (we can't find something that works for him!) and he got so sick, I was up most of the night. I ended up taking the little guy outside at 2,4, and 6am because he would run to the door and then had really bad diarrhea. To top it off, he then threw up for the third consecutive day. I also noticed that his chin is breaking out again and he scratched his ear so bad earlier that he made it bleed. Needless to say, I am done with that food.

Like I said earlier, my husband and I have switched his food so many times and haven't found anything that works for him. It's to the point where I think I am going to start making his meals and that's where my question comes in. I don't really know where to start, like what should I be making and putting in his food? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Also, another question I have is about tear stains. Are these inevitable, like does every bully get them? Can food be a factor at all?

Thanks guys for any advice you all can give me, I just really don't know what to do :(

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I am sure you posted this before, but what are you currently feeding... brand and flavor

OP
karlajgee

karlajgee

Jun 13, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Murphy
I am sure you posted this before, but what are you currently feeding... brand and flavor

The one that I was feeding him until this morning was Natural Balance- Duck and Potato.

I am now back to the Blue Buffalo- Chicken Flavor. He did pretty good with this one I thought, but my husband thought it made his tear stains worse. I would rather have to fix tear stains than everything else that was going on though.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
The one that I was feeding him until this morning was Natural Balance- Duck and Potato.

I am now back to the Blue Buffalo- Chicken Flavor. He did pretty good with this one I thought, but my husband thought it made his tear stains worse. I would rather have to fix tear stains than everything else that was going on though.

You are not alone.... finding the right food can take a very LONG time. If Blue was working go to it and in the meantime research raw/home cooking.

Benson Floyd

Jul 29, 2014
Sebastopol, California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Benson Floyd
Karla, my Benson experienced a number of these symptoms when he was younger. Since following the following routine his symptoms have completely disappeared. Perhaps give it a shot:

Food: Nature's Variety Instinct "Limited Ingredient" (Lamb). I pay $70 for 25 lb bag but high calorie content means 1/2 as much food, it's a no brainer.

Ears: Epi-Otic ear rinse (every 2 days-available over the counter at a vet). Though meant to be squeezed/flushed in the ear, Benson would not allow so I just soak round/flat cotton makeup pads and massage the inside ears (be generous when adding rinse to pads)

Tear Stains: With kibble mentioned above, tear stains should improve but to top off I treat all face wrinkles & sores with Hydrogen Peroxide. Every 2 days, soak towel in warm water and rinse. Pour HP in towel and press and clean each wrinkle/soar. Also be sure to clear eye-gook each morning from sleep.

Rear/Under Tail area: Clean daily with baby wipes.

Paws (to help with licking paws, blisters, & any general irritation): Twice a week soak all four paws in bath for 2-5 minutes. My paw bath consists of Epson Salt, Hydrogen Peroxide & Apple Cider Vinegar. No need to rinse just pat dry.

Overall Allergy help: 50 mg of Benadryl with breakfast, 50 mg of Benadryl with dinner. My boy weighs 60 lbs.

Hope this is helpful!
Ernie

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Karla, my Benson experienced a number of these symptoms when he was younger. Since following the following routine his symptoms have completely disappeared. Perhaps give it a shot:

Food: Nature's Variety Instinct "Limited Ingredient" (Lamb). I pay $70 for 25 lb bag but high calorie content means 1/2 as much food, it's a no brainer.

Ears: Epi-Otic ear rinse (every 2 days-available over the counter at a vet). Though meant to be squeezed/flushed in the ear, Benson would not allow so I just soak round/flat cotton makeup pads and massage the inside ears (be generous when adding rinse to pads)

Tear Stains: With kibble mentioned above, tear stains should improve but to top off I treat all face wrinkles & sores with Hydrogen Peroxide. Every 2 days, soak towel in warm water and rinse. Pour HP in towel and press and clean each wrinkle/soar. Also be sure to clear eye-gook each morning from sleep.

Rear/Under Tail area: Clean daily with baby wipes.

Paws (to help with licking paws, blisters, & any general irritation): Twice a week soak all four paws in bath for 2-5 minutes. My paw bath consists of Epson Salt, Hydrogen Peroxide & Apple Cider Vinegar. No need to rinse just pat dry.

Overall Allergy help: 50 mg of Benadryl with breakfast, 50 mg of Benadryl with dinner. My boy weighs 60 lbs.

Hope this is helpful!
Ernie

:goodpost: great info right there ^^^^ I am closse to that routine with my girl who is also 60lbs and highly allergic to chicken. I use Fromm grain Lamb/Lentil and/or Pork/Peas.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
If he hasn't had any allergy tests done I would suggest you start him on an elimination diet. Since it sounds like you have tried a LOT of different kibble he could be allergic to storage mites, that are present in all kibble unless you get them straight from the factory to the bowl. If it is possble to find one protein source he hasn't had before or has had the least bad reactions to choose that and one card source like that as well, if you choose home cooking. With raw you don't really feed carbs. You need to really limit everything that he eats to the minimum and after he gets better add only one thing in to the diet and wait. If there's a bad reaction you know that he's allergic to it, if not add another and so on...

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Karla, if you're interested in doing home cooking, just start with the basics and keep it simple. My main carb is almost always white rice which I cook in my steamer. I then add a protein, and this is usually ground beef or gound turkey, occasionally chicken or beef livers, and/or eggs thrown in. Then I will chop up some veggies and add these--carrots or green beans are my go-to veggies; i'll also put a spoonful of canned beans (navy or kidney or black beans).

My bully Tate suffers from tear stains too and i've been trying all sorts of things which haven't really helped. Right now I have them on a vitamin supplement called NuVet and i'm watching to see if this will help with the stains, as well as giving Tate a spoonful of apple cider vinegar in his food daily. I believe we have to work internally to help fight those tear stains but of course, regularly cleaning the area is important too. So i'll dilute some chlorhexidine in water and gently clean the folds on his face that have the stains.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Castor's tummy improved a lot when we gave up on kibble (after having tried a number of brands) and switched to raw a few months ago. He eats beef (we buy a frozen brand of raw food).

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.