Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruby
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Barking Bulldogs

Do they all bark?

We got our previous 2 previous bulldogs when they were very young(8 weeks). You all know how adorable a barking puppy is and especially a bulldog puppy.....so, we encouraged them to bark, and essentially, it felt like we taught them to do something that turned out annoying in some cases when they were adults.

We brought Ruby home at 21 weeks and she never made a peep....the entire family agreed that would would not encourage her to bark. She never muttered a word for 3 weeks....never a growl or a bark, just moans and groans and snorts and burps. She has a friend that comes over and plays from time to time(her half sister) and she has quite a vocabulary....we thought(and dreaded it a little) that might prompt her to find her voice naturally and just hoped it would not be annoying.

Well, yesterday Ruby noticed a neighbor from our front door and she did not like what she saw. She grumbled a little and let out a few "Who are you?!" barks. We were elated that she muttered her first words, but also had mixed emotions.....we don't want her to bark at everything. But we would like her to be able to have a normal conversation when needed.(if you know what I mean).

Real Name
    Samantha
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    June
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Barking Bulldogs

June barks to get our attention and to play... it does get annoying! She will stand right next to you on the couch and bark in your ear if you don't acknowledge her as soon as she thinks you should. I don't know how to make it stop without just ignoring her when she does it (which gets annoying!) and we live in an apartment so I don't want her to bother the neighbors.

Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Well, barking is a very good thing since it serves as a warning signal to you that someting may be amiss (eg, burglar in the house, someone trespassing, etc...). My two bark when they hear a strange noise, or when someone knocks on our door. Finn is very protective and barks like mad whenever he sees someone walking by our house...a little excessive, i know, but i'd rather he bark than not, to "scare" off anyone who may be causing problems.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Jenna
    Likes (Received)

Jenna is 5 and she hardly ever barks, she's from a rescue so i'm not sure if they punished her if she did bark...when she does she sounds like a small dog...she's 54 lbs...so maybe she's embarrassed...

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

too cute! 'found her voice'! Our girl is almost 9 yrs old and has always been a mouthy back talker, our boy was more like you explain here, an occasional bark or when he played. And, our Frenchie is like that too... only barks when he is playing
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

My Frenglish is about 4 years old. She plays and teases the others, growls like a monster when they are playing-but I have never once heard her bark!
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

It's fascinating how different they are! Castor is very vocal (snoring, 'talking,' yawning, etc.) but not much of a barker. He only barks when the doorbell rings or when we come home.

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Goob
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Goob is a barker. He barks out the window when people walk by, when he wants attention, when he wants attention, and when he wants attention. I had to laugh when I read the post about them barking right in your ear. Sometimes, I'll be laying on the floor with him, playing, and I'll pick my phone up to text, and he will bark RIGHT IN MY FACE! Sometimes it scares me to death.

The funny thing is that Goob is a howler. He howls whenever he hears gospel/opera type singing. I'm not sure if he is singing along or if he doesn't like it. We have caught him several times on video and it is so funny. His lips curl up and it cracks us up.

Real Name
    Frank
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bongo
    Likes (Received)

Bongo barks for warning generally, doorbells and knocking also when brother Louie the pug tries to hump him. Also he has this game where he puts his balls or any toy he's playing with by something he doesn't like like the floor lamp at the metal heating vent or under a kitchen chair. He can always get them but the game is he barks and sees who get ups first to get it for him. Them when we get it he goes and puts it back neurotic.
    Thanks,
    Frank & Bongo

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

BeBe is our barker, but only barks at things she hears from outside ot if someone comes to the door. Lucy hardly makes a sound unless she wants our attention, then she will give a little woof. Hazel and Hilary hardly ever make a peep, and Henri will give out his little woofs, when he hears or sees something he doesn't like. Yesterday he let out a loud bark. Kind of surprised us. LOL I will usually tell them to hush, when they bark at nothing to let them know it's not accepted.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Susan Moore
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Elmo
    Likes (Received)

Elmo only barks when he is playing or he wants his toy back from our other dogs.

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Our guys are a little over two years old, and I have never heard Dozer bark, he doesn't even bark or whine to let us know he needs to go out. Blossom will bark, but only when she hears a noise outside the house, when the doorbell rings or someone comes home. She will whine to let us know she needs outside, but they are on a regular schedule, so we take them out at the same times everyday, so she doesn't have to bark, we just go out.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads