boxorox

Jul 2, 2014
Wisconsin
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
Do they all bark?

We got our previous 2 previous bulldogs when they were very young(8 weeks). You all know how adorable a barking puppy is and especially a bulldog puppy.....so, we encouraged them to bark, and essentially, it felt like we taught them to do something that turned out annoying in some cases when they were adults.

We brought Ruby home at 21 weeks and she never made a peep....the entire family agreed that would would not encourage her to bark. She never muttered a word for 3 weeks....never a growl or a bark, just moans and groans and snorts and burps. She has a friend that comes over and plays from time to time(her half sister) and she has quite a vocabulary....we thought(and dreaded it a little) that might prompt her to find her voice naturally and just hoped it would not be annoying.

Well, yesterday Ruby noticed a neighbor from our front door and she did not like what she saw. She grumbled a little and let out a few "Who are you?!" barks. We were elated that she muttered her first words, but also had mixed emotions.....we don't want her to bark at everything. But we would like her to be able to have a normal conversation when needed.(if you know what I mean).

Samantha Orts

Jul 12, 2013
TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
June
June barks to get our attention and to play... it does get annoying! She will stand right next to you on the couch and bark in your ear if you don't acknowledge her as soon as she thinks you should. I don't know how to make it stop without just ignoring her when she does it (which gets annoying!) and we live in an apartment so I don't want her to bother the neighbors.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Well, barking is a very good thing since it serves as a warning signal to you that someting may be amiss (eg, burglar in the house, someone trespassing, etc...). My two bark when they hear a strange noise, or when someone knocks on our door. Finn is very protective and barks like mad whenever he sees someone walking by our house...a little excessive, i know, but i'd rather he bark than not, to "scare" off anyone who may be causing problems.

marianne

May 17, 2012
WV
Bulldog(s) Names
Jenna
Jenna is 5 and she hardly ever barks, she's from a rescue so i'm not sure if they punished her if she did bark...when she does she sounds like a small dog...she's 54 lbs...so maybe she's embarrassed...:)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
too cute! 'found her voice'! Our girl is almost 9 yrs old and has always been a mouthy back talker, our boy was more like you explain here, an occasional bark or when he played. And, our Frenchie is like that too... only barks when he is playing

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
My Frenglish is about 4 years old. She plays and teases the others, growls like a monster when they are playing-but I have never once heard her bark!

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
It's fascinating how different they are! Castor is very vocal (snoring, 'talking,' yawning, etc.) but not much of a barker. He only barks when the doorbell rings or when we come home.

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
Goob is a barker. He barks out the window when people walk by, when he wants attention, when he wants attention, and when he wants attention. I had to laugh when I read the post about them barking right in your ear. Sometimes, I'll be laying on the floor with him, playing, and I'll pick my phone up to text, and he will bark RIGHT IN MY FACE! Sometimes it scares me to death.

The funny thing is that Goob is a howler. He howls whenever he hears gospel/opera type singing. I'm not sure if he is singing along or if he doesn't like it. We have caught him several times on video and it is so funny. His lips curl up and it cracks us up.

Fbjdd

Mar 16, 2012
Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bongo
Bongo barks for warning generally, doorbells and knocking also when brother Louie the pug tries to hump him. Also he has this game where he puts his balls or any toy he's playing with by something he doesn't like like the floor lamp at the metal heating vent or under a kitchen chair. He can always get them but the game is he barks and sees who get ups first to get it for him. Them when we get it he goes and puts it back neurotic.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
BeBe is our barker, but only barks at things she hears from outside ot if someone comes to the door. Lucy hardly makes a sound unless she wants our attention, then she will give a little woof. Hazel and Hilary hardly ever make a peep, and Henri will give out his little woofs, when he hears or sees something he doesn't like. Yesterday he let out a loud bark. Kind of surprised us. LOL I will usually tell them to hush, when they bark at nothing to let them know it's not accepted.

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Elmo only barks when he is playing or he wants his toy back from our other dogs.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Our guys are a little over two years old, and I have never heard Dozer bark, he doesn't even bark or whine to let us know he needs to go out. Blossom will bark, but only when she hears a noise outside the house, when the doorbell rings or someone comes home. She will whine to let us know she needs outside, but they are on a regular schedule, so we take them out at the same times everyday, so she doesn't have to bark, we just go out.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Harlea barks to let us know she needs to go potty and if my wife or daughter aren't giving her attention when she wants it. Other than that is is only when someone comes to the door or she sees something outside that is invading her domain.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.