I just dont trust Petsmart!

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I have been taking Vegas to Petsmart for 5 years to get his nail's dremeled, I think they do a good job BUT...about 3 yrs. ago I dropped him off to get his nails done and they always say "just go browse the store, and we will call your name" I did, but when I went to look in they had him on a table with a noose around his neck!!, So me being me.... I told then never, ever noose my dog, he has to be done on the FLOOR and FLOOR ONLY, (I think they dread me coming in, but I tip them well) Today I take him to get his nails done and of course they told me to go browse the store, I said, like I always do..NO I will wait right here and he needs them done on the floor. Petsmart gives you a print-out bill and you have to go pay at the register. After I seen the girl on the floor starting his nails, I then went to pay for his nails.

Just when I came flying back in the door there was a tech leaning over offering him a milk-bone, telling him he was such a good boy. Now here's the problem... I DON"T give Vegas those kind of treats so I said "EXCUSE ME, he is NOT allowed to have that kind of treat, he has allergies!!" She said she was sorry, but my point is, I think they should ASK, not just give. Joe thinks I was being very rude and one wouldn't kill him, which it wouldn't. BUT MY point is they should ask!!! Please tell me I am right, (although I already know it) and Joe is wrong!! :giggle:

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
You are definitely within your rights. Ours keeps track of what Harlea can and can't have. All of her allergies are in their system even that she is allergic to tap water and if they give her a treat it must come from her pink backpack. At first we felt funny taking a backpack witb us but it turns out ours does a lot of other bullies and other dogs with allergies.

Bruisers dad

Jul 15, 2014
Prescott AZ.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruiser
I think you are defiantly right. I think joe was just embarrassed, some times it's hard having a strong minded, outspoken women in our lives, I know from experience. But they should defiantly be asking before assuming they can give your dog a treat and as far as the putting the dog on the table with a noose around there neck, that's just stupidity. Maybe I need to pay a little more attention next time we go to get his nails done instead of shopping for new toys for my bully. Thanks for the heads up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I stopped going there to get Brutus' nails done. There it took a xanex for me, three people to hold him and a muzzle to clip his nails. On a whim I decided to try a local grooming place here in town and one person spoke nicely to Brutus and clipped all his nails with no muzzle.

Kevikell

Jun 9, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
Bridgette, Maybull & Heidi ('03-15)
I stopped going there to get Brutus' nails done. There it took a xanex for me, three people to hold him and a muzzle to clip his nails. On a whim I decided to try a local grooming place here in town and one person spoke nicely to Brutus and clipped all his nails with no muzzle.

There was a recent post by a local bulldog rescue about a bully dying at a vets office while getting his nails trimmed. You should never muzzle any of the flat faced breeds especially bulldogs who have difficulty breathing anyway. You would think vets as well as anyone working with pets such as groomers would know this. Glad you found somewhere else to go. :)

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Yeah it was not good. I always tried to put it off as long as possible. It was a weird muzzle. Cloth and really soft. It didnt impact his breathing. I think the trauma of the whole experience was worse. Im glad I found somewhere else too.

Kevikell

Jun 9, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
Bridgette, Maybull & Heidi ('03-15)
I have been taking Vegas to Petsmart for 5 years to get his nail's dremeled, I think they do a good job BUT...about 3 yrs. ago I dropped him off to get his nails done and they always say "just go browse the store, and we will call your name" I did, but when I went to look in they had him on a table with a noose around his neck!!, So me being me.... I told then never, ever noose my dog, he has to be done on the FLOOR and FLOOR ONLY, (I think they dread me coming in, but I tip them well) Today I take him to get his nails done and of course they told me to go browse the store, I said, like I always do..NO I will wait right here and he needs them done on the floor. Petsmart gives you a print-out bill and you have to go pay at the register. After I seen the girl on the floor starting his nails, I then went to pay for his nails.

Just when I came flying back in the door there was a tech leaning over offering him a milk-bone, telling him he was such a good boy. Now here's the problem... I DON"T give Vegas those kind of treats so I said "EXCUSE ME, he is NOT allowed to have that kind of treat, he has allergies!!" She said she was sorry, but my point is, I think they should ASK, not just give. Joe thinks I was being very rude and one wouldn't kill him, which it wouldn't. BUT MY point is they should ask!!! Please tell me I am right, (although I already know it) and Joe is wrong!! :giggle:

I agree with you 100%! They should always ask and I would expect that people who work with animals would have common sense and know better.
[MENTION=8859]Marine91[/MENTION] What a clever idea to take a doggy backpack with pre-approved treats. Parents of allergic children do the same thing when their children go to school or play dates so why not do the same for your dog. Love that!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
When I use to take my guys to Petco for nail trims... I stay there and would tell them each time, no treats they have allergies. I never accept they will remember or listen so I just stay with them. I also brought a treat bag with me. So if they want to treat, it will be what I want them to have not what they have available. I actually do the same at my vet, even thought he has good treats .. I just prefer to manage what goes in them

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
You're so right! I would go ballistic if somebody would give ANYTHING to my boys without asking! Especially Usko who has hyperuricosuria and can't have anything with any organs. He bloody well could develope bladder stones cause of it! I take no chances! My boys have no allergies, but I'm very strict with their diet and they are not to have anything processed or anything I don't know the whole content of!

BTW...why do so many people use these places instead of just doing it yourself???

schimpfy

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin'
Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver British Columbia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
Chance went to puppy class at petsmart and after we decided to get his nails done. Had to start a new client sheet and they were demanding to see proof of his rabies shot. I said he was wearing his rabies tag that he got a week prior. They said they can not use his tag as it may have expired, I said he was only 5 months how could it be expired needless to say had to get his papers for proof. This from a group of people whom have been seeing him and commenting on him for the last two months. Will be looking for a different groomer for nails they did a good job however it did not sit well with me.

Starkie

Dec 8, 2012
Northern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Walley-Bubba aka Wooley Bulley aka Walter! aka Landi!!
No problem here with PetCo for Walley-Bubba or Shadow. Petsmart is a zoo in comparison.
They both go to Petco about every 6 weeks for a bath, ears. nails clipped/buffed and most importantly the anal glands emptied.
They do use a clip-on tether to keep the dogs from turning around and biting them when they are working back there.
They also know that both dogs are on a grain-free diet so they limit treats to 1 or 2 and they always ask first.
Brian always takes care of WB and Shadow gets the same ladies whose names I forget.
We can tell they both really enjoy the whole process.

It seems to work well at PetCo because we know the groomers and they know us and our dogs.
Also, Brian is a fellow Sport-Compact Hotroder (cars) so we have good chats about that also.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
That's good that you voiced your thoughts and concerns, Kelly. I believe the staff at any pet establishment we take our bullys to must ask if a treat is okay BEFORE giving them one. Most places I go to, like Centinela Feed (best pet food store around!), always asks me if the boys can have a treat. Hopefully that was just an isolated incident and/or that grooming person was new and just didn't know any better.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online