Gamble Paid Off

Leon van houkje

Mar 17, 2014
Groningen, North Holland
Country
Holland
Bulldog(s) Names
Leon Van T' Houkje
Well let me start of by saying I hated putting Leon in his cage/crate but I was scared he would chew the house to pieces of trying and walk on the stairs, but I wouldn't risking leaving him to roam the house. My wife had a day off last week and did the food shopping and was gone 2 hours but didn't put Leon in his cage and luckily the gamble paid off he slept next to my chair.
How many of you still put them in there cage ? Or have taken the gamble and left them to roam ? Did you get good or bad results ?

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Depends on how long we are going to be gone. If it is a short time the Harlea has free roam of the kitchen and livingroom. If it is longer than a few hours she goes in to her large playpen at the front of the house.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I still crate them, but I have two so I would never leave them unattended anyway. There is always the possibility of a fight. I did just recently start leaving one gated in the kitchen and the other in the living room if I am only running out for a few minutes. So far so good. Anything longer, they are safer in their crates.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
We keep him in the den/kitchen when we are out. He always just curls up in his bed and sleeps.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
We crate them when we go out, because they would eat my house if I didn't. Lol. Dozer loves to eat textiles, socks, towels, blankets, shoes, dishcloths, etc, plus he likes to chew electric cords, so that would be dangerous. Blossom chews things, but doesn't usually swallow things, but will chew. There is usually someone home most days, so they aren't crated too often, but it's definitely the safest place for them when we are out, and they just sleep while we are gone. I leave the TV on or music and the light while we are gone.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
We have never crated Castor. When he was a pup, he once tasted a library book and another day he chewed on the stereo rack, but apart from that we haven't had any problems.

Crating has never been an option for us (it's not even legal here). The first couple of months after we started to leave Castor at home alone, we did block the couch off and we closed the bedroom doors, though. After the library book incident we made sure no books or magazines were on the floor, and we lined the edges of the stereo rack with duct tape. Nowadays, we just close the door to a room full of Lego, otherwise he can go everywhere. I think he usually just goes to sleep when we leave.

Bruisers dad

Jul 15, 2014
Prescott AZ.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruiser
We stopped crating bruiser pretty early on and he has never destroyed anything, there are a couple puncture hole I'm one of my sandals but so far that has been the worst of it.
I saw that you live in holland, I lived there for 6 yrs in Uterecht. I sure do miss it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Leon van houkje

Leon van houkje

Mar 17, 2014
Groningen, North Holland
Country
Holland
Bulldog(s) Names
Leon Van T' Houkje
[MENTION=12389]Bruisers dad[/MENTION]
I moved over here from the uk nearly 10 years ago, I live up in the north a place called Groningen.
I love it so much here I'm having my own house built.
uvumutyt.jpg

y6a3umut.jpg

Julzz9170

Apr 15, 2014
New jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fatso, Romeo
We never really crated fatso..he was house trained when we got him and never really chewed anything but Romeo was a puppy when we got him and was not house trained and chewed everything so he was crated when no one was home until he proved to us that he could behave when we were gone..he was about 1 1/2 when we stopped..now they just go to sleep when we are gone..usually one on the bed and one on the couch

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Certain ones we can leave out for a little while, bit for the most part, we crate them when we are gone.

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
We always crate Elmo, he would get into all kinds of things if he were to be left to roam the house. I also feel secure knowing he is safe in his crate.

OP
Leon van houkje

Leon van houkje

Mar 17, 2014
Groningen, North Holland
Country
Holland
Bulldog(s) Names
Leon Van T' Houkje
We left him alone again to roam free yesterday and again good results I think he just sleeps.
It really hurts me to put him in his crate so it makes me very happy that he behaves when not in it.
First foto is if him waiting for my wife the second one is that he's so happy I'm home both taken yesterday.
6uqehe3e.jpg

zyguresy.jpg

HTX Bully

Aug 6, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Holly
Great to hear :)

Holly is a little older now and we leave her out to have free range in the house if we're gone for a few hours. We're pretty sure she takes a nap and we leave the TV on for her so the house is not completely silent. Holly still sleeps in her crate and we will crate her if we are gone for an extended period. When she was younger she chewed up the window seals pretty good so we'll have to replace those if we move out of this house :yes:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
[MENTION=12389]Bruisers dad[/MENTION]
I moved over here from the uk nearly 10 years ago, I live up in the north a place called Groningen.
I love it so much here I'm having my own house built.
uvumutyt.jpg

y6a3umut.jpg

Wow what an awesome place! You'll have to post new pics when it's done.

I'm usually always home if not someone else is. But if no one is home we always crate for safety reasons.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.