Help! Road Trip and Won't Use Bathroom!!

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
We're moving from Phoenix to Houston and of course Barkley is along for the ride. We took him to daycare yesterday so he wouldn't be around all the craziness with the movers. Then we picked him up and hit the road yesterday afternoon.

We stopped a couple times along the way and let him out but he refused to use the bathroom. He can be stubborn about using it and only uses it a few times a day at home usually anyway. But when we got to the hotel last night he still refused to go and when we take him out just wants to try and go to the car or go back inside.

I've tried to take him out again this morning and still the same thing. I'm hoping maybe after he eats this morning we might have more luck but who knows.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to make him go?? We're going to have to stay in hotels for awhile right now so I'm hoping he isn't this stubborn the whole time!

Thanks!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I wouldn't worry, these guys can hold it for an amazing amount of time and as soon as you get your mind off it they'll go. I bet you're right after breakfast he'll go. Try not to think about it and just take him on a nice little walk.

Hope you have a nice safe trip.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I agree with Phil, he will eventually go, he can't hold it forever. He may have gone while at the daycare and so didn't have to go. He's probably just nervous and the car is a different routine for him. Is he drinking? He will most likely go after breakfast, my guys always go about 1/2 hour after they eat in the morning. Walk him around, that will help him move his bowels as well, and let him sniff around, it may be the unfamiliar areas and scents. My male will always go right away when he goes outside, he will poop and pee first thing, but my female Blossom will pee right away, but it can take up to 20 mins most times for her to go poop, she has to walk around, then sniff, then walk around so e more, then sniff, she has to find the perfect sniffy spot before she will poop. Lol.

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
Thank you guys for the reassurance! He had breakfast and then I let him play with a water bottle for awhile haha then took him out and he FINALLY peed! Yay!! Still no poop but I'm not too worried about that, I'm sure he pooped his brains out at daycare yesterday, he always does when he is excited. He had surgery a few months ago to remove bladder stones so I think I just always over examine making sure he pees anyway so this just made me a little more nervous.

Hopefully he does good the rest of the trip now too!

Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I'm glad to hear that Barkley finally went pee. I was gonna say that it's like us humans--sometimes when we are in a new environment or there's a change of some sort, we won't be able to go #2 either until our system feels more at-ease. I'm sure he'll have a :poo: before you get to Houston. Enjoy your road trip!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hope he is still doing well... Banks is like that when we travel too, no poo for a day or two?

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.