Thread: Help! Road Trip and Won't Use Bathroom!!

Real Name
    Michele
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Barkley and Pippen
    Likes (Received)

Default Help! Road Trip and Won't Use Bathroom!!

We're moving from Phoenix to Houston and of course Barkley is along for the ride. We took him to daycare yesterday so he wouldn't be around all the craziness with the movers. Then we picked him up and hit the road yesterday afternoon.

We stopped a couple times along the way and let him out but he refused to use the bathroom. He can be stubborn about using it and only uses it a few times a day at home usually anyway. But when we got to the hotel last night he still refused to go and when we take him out just wants to try and go to the car or go back inside.

I've tried to take him out again this morning and still the same thing. I'm hoping maybe after he eats this morning we might have more luck but who knows.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to make him go?? We're going to have to stay in hotels for awhile right now so I'm hoping he isn't this stubborn the whole time!

Thanks!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Help! Road Trip and Won't Use Bathroom!!

I wouldn't worry, these guys can hold it for an amazing amount of time and as soon as you get your mind off it they'll go. I bet you're right after breakfast he'll go. Try not to think about it and just take him on a nice little walk.

Hope you have a nice safe trip.

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

I agree with Phil, he will eventually go, he can't hold it forever. He may have gone while at the daycare and so didn't have to go. He's probably just nervous and the car is a different routine for him. Is he drinking? He will most likely go after breakfast, my guys always go about 1/2 hour after they eat in the morning. Walk him around, that will help him move his bowels as well, and let him sniff around, it may be the unfamiliar areas and scents. My male will always go right away when he goes outside, he will poop and pee first thing, but my female Blossom will pee right away, but it can take up to 20 mins most times for her to go poop, she has to walk around, then sniff, then walk around so e more, then sniff, she has to find the perfect sniffy spot before she will poop. Lol.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Real Name
    Michele
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Barkley and Pippen
    Likes (Received)

Thank you guys for the reassurance! He had breakfast and then I let him play with a water bottle for awhile haha then took him out and he FINALLY peed! Yay!! Still no poop but I'm not too worried about that, I'm sure he pooped his brains out at daycare yesterday, he always does when he is excited. He had surgery a few months ago to remove bladder stones so I think I just always over examine making sure he pees anyway so this just made me a little more nervous.

Hopefully he does good the rest of the trip now too!

Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I'm glad to hear that Barkley finally went pee. I was gonna say that it's like us humans--sometimes when we are in a new environment or there's a change of some sort, we won't be able to go #2 either until our system feels more at-ease. I'm sure he'll have a before you get to Houston. Enjoy your road trip!

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Hope he is still doing well... Banks is like that when we travel too, no poo for a day or two?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Remove Ads