I need shirts to cover hot spot, childs t-shirt?

hbwright

Jul 2, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Margot
Has anybody tried this with their bullies? Margot developed a hot spot overnight. Still trying to figure out what caused it, but I imagine her immunity is still not in top shape. I have been using my daughters shirts temporarily but they seem to work well if not a little big so I thought about trying larger toddler sized t-shirts for her. Has anybody used a regular child T-shirt or can you think of something that would fit better?

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
I dont know where the hot spot is but sometimes I put Goob in my husbands "wife beaters" or tank tops. They are really stretchy and the neck is large enough to fit a bully. If you're interested, I buy goob doggy T-shirts at Baxterboo.com. They always have xlarge sizes and good prices. 20140714_002700.jpg

OP
H

hbwright

Jul 2, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Margot
I dont know where the hot spot is but sometimes I put Goob in my husbands "wife beaters" or tank tops. They are really stretchy and the neck is large enough to fit a bully. If you're interested, I buy goob doggy T-shirts at Baxterboo.com. They always have xlarge sizes and good prices.View attachment 74877

That's the first thing I tried on her. It is on her back right behind the shoulder blade. Not hard to cover, but hard to keep covered as the shirt always seems to ride back because her neck is as thick as her shoulder. (Not really, but you know.) It helped a little using a smaller wife beater that was my daughters and tying a piece of fabric at the neck so that it wasn't tight on the neck but kept it from shifting so much. I'm finding this spot the hardest to keep her away from because it is perfect back leg scratching area. :/

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
That's the first thing I tried on her. It is on her back right behind the shoulder blade. Not hard to cover, but hard to keep covered as the shirt always seems to ride back because her neck is as thick as her shoulder. (Not really, but you know.) It helped a little using a smaller wife beater that was my daughters and tying a piece of fabric at the neck so that it wasn't tight on the neck but kept it from shifting so much. I'm finding this spot the hardest to keep her away from because it is perfect back leg scratching area. :/

Ohh poor baby..hmm...I cant say I'm an expert AT ALL but maybe an Ace bandage wrapped around her under the shirt? Maybe if you cut slits in kids' t-shirt or one of your old shirts?

OP
H

hbwright

Jul 2, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Margot
I may do an Ace wrap and just take it off as much as I can. I want it to air out, but I have to keep her somehow from messing with it so that may be the only way to go.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I may do an Ace wrap and just take it off as much as I can. I want it to air out, but I have to keep her somehow from messing with it so that may be the only way to go.

That is a tough spot to keep them away from. As you said, you need it to air out so covering it is not a good thing. Did you shave the area? That, I find, helps it to dry up and clear faster.

OP
H

hbwright

Jul 2, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Margot
I have a confession. I'm petrified of hurting her by shaving the area. :fie: I've thought about it, and will do it if I have to, actually my husband probably will, but I think about it and know it will hurt. I have tramadol I have thought about giving her before hand but need to work this out when she isn't doped up on Benadryl. I had every intention on calling the vet and getting her in there this morning, but it is doing so well and don't know what more they can do aside from a steroid shot, which if it's healing without it I'd rather not. I'm very happy with the way it is drying out, BUT, aside from lopping off that foot, can't keep her from tearing it open. :/ It's been a whole day since she has and this morning was nice and dry. I'm giving it 2 hours and going to keep an eye on it and decide whether or not to call the vet with it being Friday. (Plus, I know they would shave it for me. Lol) Kind of an expensive shave job but hey, gets rid of my anxiety on the issue.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have a confession. I'm petrified of hurting her by shaving the area. :fie: I've thought about it, and will do it if I have to, actually my husband probably will, but I think about it and know it will hurt. I have tramadol I have thought about giving her before hand but need to work this out when she isn't doped up on Benadryl. I had every intention on calling the vet and getting her in there this morning, but it is doing so well and don't know what more they can do aside from a steroid shot, which if it's healing without it I'd rather not. I'm very happy with the way it is drying out, BUT, aside from lopping off that foot, can't keep her from tearing it open. :/ It's been a whole day since she has and this morning was nice and dry. I'm giving it 2 hours and going to keep an eye on it and decide whether or not to call the vet with it being Friday. (Plus, I know they would shave it for me. Lol) Kind of an expensive shave job but hey, gets rid of my anxiety on the issue.

you can give Benedryl with Tramadol.... My girl gets two Benedryl and a Tramadol 2x a day.... does not make her loopy at all.

OP
H

hbwright

Jul 2, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Margot
I didn't want to over sedate her. I know with the Tramadol alone she passes flat out. :p What is your dogs weight and dosage? I may do a half a dose. I only worry about respiratory depression, but I'm sure that would help and would make me feel better about shaving her myself if I knew I had pre-treated her pain.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I didn't want to over sedate her. I know with the Tramadol alone she passes flat out. :p What is your dogs weight and dosage? I may do a half a dose. I only worry about respiratory depression, but I'm sure that would help and would make me feel better about shaving her myself if I knew I had pre-treated her pain.

Banks is 60lbs....

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
I put some old slim fit tshirts of mine on Ruckus when he had a little puppy mange and we had to put Goodwinol on him. We had to cut the sleeves off because they would restrict his movement otherwise, and we cut slits at the side of the neck so it wouldn't be so tight, but it covered the spots on his back and shoulder. We had to use tighter shirts of mine because he would wiggle out of my boyfriend's undershirts.

OP
H

hbwright

Jul 2, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Margot
I think Margot must be pretty tiny. I got her some extra small childs shirts. Lol They do the job but do have to be pulled up to cover it at the top every now and then. The hot spot is healing great so hopefully she'll only have to wear it for another week or so.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.