Food recommendation please!!

girlbully

Apr 18, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Just found out Bella is allergic to peas, salmon, lamb, soybean, wheat, egg. Everything I've looked at has either peas or pea protein or salmon oil. Any suggestions?? uploadfromtaptalk1406223898505.jpguploadfromtaptalk1406223898505.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Fromm duck and sweet potato... might be an option.

Or maybe something from Honest Kitchen... very limited ingredient food

OP
G

girlbully

Apr 18, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
All of the Fromm' s grain free has peas.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I'm sorry I don't have any other suggestions for you, as I'm not an expert on dog foods. I also have a bully who is allergic to chicken, salmon, corn and grains, and I had to change her food 4 times before I found the Fromm's. I've had good results with the Beef and the Lamb and Lentil. I'm sorry you're having a hard time finding a food that Bella can tolerate. It's can be very frustrating when you're trying to find a food, and it's trial and error to see what works. Have you looked into home cooking your own dog food, that way you can control the ingredients and the protein source. I hope you find something soon.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION] [MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
This is very tricky since peas or some form of peas seems to be common in many of the grain-free foods.

Doing a search I came across this kibble by a company called Great Life. It has no peas, potatoes, or grain and has buffalo meat as main protein. I don't know this company myself but take a look and see what u think:
http://www.petflow.com/product/great-life/great-life-grain-free-buffalo-dry-dog-food

Dang that food looks pretty good!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kevikell

Jun 9, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
Bridgette, Maybull & Heidi ('03-15)
Just found out Bella is allergic to peas, salmon, lamb, soybean, wheat, egg. Everything I've looked at has either peas or pea protein or salmon oil. Any suggestions?? View attachment 74859View attachment 74859

If you don't mind me asking, how did you find out she was allergic to these foods? I'm wondering if you did the blood serum allergy test like I had done which tested for environmental plus food allergies. If that's the case, I wouldn't put a lot of stock into the results...especially the food allergens. Basically, my girl showed an allergy to many of the ingredients she was currently eating and came up as not allergic to chicken which I know is wrong. I have read and also been told by a dermatologist that the only true way to find food allergies is through food trials which can be tedious. Obviously I would be cautious and try to avoid foods that are listed but know if it was found as an allergen by a blood test it may be completely inaccurate. I too went on a hunt for foods that were free of the listed allergenic ingredients and it can be very tough. The grain free formulas usually have sweet potato, tapioca, or peas as the carb source. Try and find a food with both a novel protein and novel carb source and see how she does. Not sure about the carb source but they even have rabbit and kangaroo proteins now!

OP
G

girlbully

Apr 18, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Thank you all for your suggestions! I'll check into some of them! Yes it was a blood test my vet did.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
If you don't mind me asking, how did you find out she was allergic to these foods? I'm wondering if you did the blood serum allergy test like I had done which tested for environmental plus food allergies. If that's the case, I wouldn't put a lot of stock into the results...especially the food allergens. Basically, my girl showed an allergy to many of the ingredients she was currently eating and came up as not allergic to chicken which I know is wrong. I have read and also been told by a dermatologist that the only true way to find food allergies is through food trials which can be tedious. Obviously I would be cautious and try to avoid foods that are listed but know if it was found as an allergen by a blood test it may be completely inaccurate. I too went on a hunt for foods that were free of the listed allergenic ingredients and it can be very tough. The grain free formulas usually have sweet potato, tapioca, or peas as the carb source. Try and find a food with both a novel protein and novel carb source and see how she does. Not sure about the carb source but they even have rabbit and kangaroo proteins now!

Many times I often wonder what protein "source" they go by on these tests, for example the chicken. My bullies can eat boiled chicken breast fresh with no problems but any food ( kibble) it makes them pink!

I've had the tests done years ago and it was right on the money, also I know to get accurate results they need to be at least a year old and have had no medicine for allergies recently.

Kevikell

Jun 9, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
Bridgette, Maybull & Heidi ('03-15)
Many times I often wonder what protein "source" they go by on these tests, for example the chicken. My bullies can eat boiled chicken breast fresh with no problems but any food ( kibble) it makes them pink!

I've had the tests done years ago and it was right on the money, also I know to get accurate results they need to be at least a year old and have had no medicine for allergies recently.

A lot of raw feeders say that is the case (raw protein is OK but when it's in kibble it's an allergen). I am too afraid to rock the boat because every time my baby has kibble or treats with chicken she ends up with terrible ear infections that take forever to treat. I wish I would have done skin testing for environmental testing and skipped paying for the food allergy. I was warned but didn't listen b/c I didn't want to spend the extra $. Afterwards we began the immunotherapy but stopped about 5 mo into it b/c she had a terrible MRSP infection and consequently developed an autoimmune skin disease. She has been on Atopica for the autoimmune issue so basically it took the place of the immunotherapy anyway and so far she has been fine. No allergy symptoms at all. I wish I could get her off Atopica though but right now we can't risk a relapse of her skin disease. :(

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
A lot of raw feeders say that is the case (raw protein is OK but when it's in kibble it's an allergen). I am too afraid to rock the boat because every time my baby has kibble or treats with chicken she ends up with terrible ear infections that take forever to treat. I wish I would have done skin testing for environmental testing and skipped paying for the food allergy. I was warned but didn't listen b/c I didn't want to spend the extra $. Afterwards we began the immunotherapy but stopped about 5 mo into it b/c she had a terrible MRSP infection and consequently developed an autoimmune skin disease. She has been on Atopica for the autoimmune issue so basically it took the place of the immunotherapy anyway and so far she has been fine. No allergy symptoms at all. I wish I could get her off Atopica though but right now we can't risk a relapse of her skin disease. :(

Since I had the tests done waaaaay back (like 2002!) I cannot remember if it was a blood test or skin test, but I do remember it being very expensive so probably the skin test.

I agree with you, I wouldn't change her routine if she's doing good on it. You may want to try the new allergy med once it becomes more readily available. I cannot spell the name of it but [MENTION=7260]Chumley[/MENTION] knows it.

I have a theory too that it's the chicken fat in most kibbles that bulldogs react to. My bulldogs did not do well at all when we tried Fromm surf n turf. It has all the ingredients found in the Salmon a la veg they do great on except the chicken fat and pea flour I think. But they get nuvet daily that has chicken liver and have no reactions to that, only benefits their skin coat and eyes rather than cause any issues.

However, it could also be the pea flour, we did the pork n peas but some of my bullies did develop some tears stains on it. Not really any allergy symptoms, but they just didn't look as good. Probably a combo of the peas and the chicken fat! They are doing great on the lamb n lentil, and always have done awesome on beef Fritatta. Neither of those have chicken fat or peas.

I also home cook and have added peas in the past and could tell a slight difference in their overall look. No allergic reaction or anything, just not that bright eyed bushy tailed look I expect to see. I think peas can really possibly be a problem for some bulldogs and I've seen many owners post test results with peas being an allergen. So many new foods are putting peas in as an alternative to potatoes now too.

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Since I had the tests done waaaaay back (like 2002!) I cannot remember if it was a blood test or skin test, but I do remember it being very expensive so probably the skin test.

I agree with you, I wouldn't change her routine if she's doing good on it. You may want to try the new allergy med once it becomes more readily available. I cannot spell the name of it but @Chumley knows it.

I have a theory too that it's the chicken fat in most kibbles that bulldogs react to. My bulldogs did not do well at all when we tried Fromm surf n turf. It has all the ingredients found in the Salmon a la veg they do great on except the chicken fat and pea flour I think. But they get nuvet daily that has chicken liver and have no reactions to that, only benefits their skin coat and eyes rather than cause any issues.

However, it could also be the pea flour, we did the pork n peas but some of my bullies did develop some tears stains on it. Not really any allergy symptoms, but they just didn't look as good. Probably a combo of the peas and the chicken fat! They are doing great on the lamb n lentil, and always have done awesome on beef Fritatta. Neither of those have chicken fat or peas.

I also home cook and have added peas in the past and could tell a slight difference in their overall look. No allergic reaction or anything, just not that bright eyed bushy tailed look I expect to see. I think peas can really possibly be a problem for some bulldogs and I've seen many owners post test results with peas being an allergen. So many new foods are putting peas in as an alternative to potatoes now too.

Lthe allergy med is called apoquel and people are talking about it like its a miracle cure...it's still very hard to get because of the high demand but you should look into it. Rick swore nothing worked for Hershey's allergies and since he's been on apoquel he's absolutely no problems...

tyree213

Nov 26, 2012
New Orleans
Bulldog(s) Names
Gilbert, Scarlet
With all of those allergies, it seems raw would be best. One of mine showed allergies to chicken but when making the switch to raw this was not the case.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.