USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Food recommendation please!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevikell View Post
    A lot of raw feeders say that is the case (raw protein is OK but when it's in kibble it's an allergen). I am too afraid to rock the boat because every time my baby has kibble or treats with chicken she ends up with terrible ear infections that take forever to treat. I wish I would have done skin testing for environmental testing and skipped paying for the food allergy. I was warned but didn't listen b/c I didn't want to spend the extra $. Afterwards we began the immunotherapy but stopped about 5 mo into it b/c she had a terrible MRSP infection and consequently developed an autoimmune skin disease. She has been on Atopica for the autoimmune issue so basically it took the place of the immunotherapy anyway and so far she has been fine. No allergy symptoms at all. I wish I could get her off Atopica though but right now we can't risk a relapse of her skin disease.

Since I had the tests done waaaaay back (like 2002!) I cannot remember if it was a blood test or skin test, but I do remember it being very expensive so probably the skin test.

I agree with you, I wouldn't change her routine if she's doing good on it. You may want to try the new allergy med once it becomes more readily available. I cannot spell the name of it but @Chumley knows it.

I have a theory too that it's the chicken fat in most kibbles that bulldogs react to. My bulldogs did not do well at all when we tried Fromm surf n turf. It has all the ingredients found in the Salmon a la veg they do great on except the chicken fat and pea flour I think. But they get nuvet daily that has chicken liver and have no reactions to that, only benefits their skin coat and eyes rather than cause any issues.

However, it could also be the pea flour, we did the pork n peas but some of my bullies did develop some tears stains on it. Not really any allergy symptoms, but they just didn't look as good. Probably a combo of the peas and the chicken fat! They are doing great on the lamb n lentil, and always have done awesome on beef Fritatta. Neither of those have chicken fat or peas.

I also home cook and have added peas in the past and could tell a slight difference in their overall look. No allergic reaction or anything, just not that bright eyed bushy tailed look I expect to see. I think peas can really possibly be a problem for some bulldogs and I've seen many owners post test results with peas being an allergen. So many new foods are putting peas in as an alternative to potatoes now too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Jim B.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chumley and Hershey
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Food recommendation please!!

Quote Originally Posted by bullmama View Post
    Since I had the tests done waaaaay back (like 2002!) I cannot remember if it was a blood test or skin test, but I do remember it being very expensive so probably the skin test.

I agree with you, I wouldn't change her routine if she's doing good on it. You may want to try the new allergy med once it becomes more readily available. I cannot spell the name of it but @Chumley knows it.

I have a theory too that it's the chicken fat in most kibbles that bulldogs react to. My bulldogs did not do well at all when we tried Fromm surf n turf. It has all the ingredients found in the Salmon a la veg they do great on except the chicken fat and pea flour I think. But they get nuvet daily that has chicken liver and have no reactions to that, only benefits their skin coat and eyes rather than cause any issues.

However, it could also be the pea flour, we did the pork n peas but some of my bullies did develop some tears stains on it. Not really any allergy symptoms, but they just didn't look as good. Probably a combo of the peas and the chicken fat! They are doing great on the lamb n lentil, and always have done awesome on beef Fritatta. Neither of those have chicken fat or peas.

I also home cook and have added peas in the past and could tell a slight difference in their overall look. No allergic reaction or anything, just not that bright eyed bushy tailed look I expect to see. I think peas can really possibly be a problem for some bulldogs and I've seen many owners post test results with peas being an allergen. So many new foods are putting peas in as an alternative to potatoes now too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lthe allergy med is called apoquel and people are talking about it like its a miracle cure...it's still very hard to get because of the high demand but you should look into it. Rick swore nothing worked for Hershey's allergies and since he's been on apoquel he's absolutely no problems...

Drool Catcher Become a 4 Paw Member tyree213's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gilbert,Scarlet, Tyra, & Kevin
    Likes (Received)

With all of those allergies, it seems raw would be best. One of mine showed allergies to chicken but when making the switch to raw this was not the case.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Callie Roxanna
    Likes (Received)

We used science diet for our bulldog it worked well. Blue buffalo was also a good choice

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads