so is this normal with bullies?

bullylover4ever

Dec 30, 2010
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
not named yet
Saban can be laying on the couch asleep, and wake up panting like he is burning up! He has no fever, but seems like he is just sooo hot. We have 10 inches of snow so yes i have my heat up pretty high but we are comfortable.....new parent of a bully so i guess i could be worrying a lil too much <o

bfletch13

Community Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Jozi, Wales
The don't handle heat as well as
other dogs. But I wouldn't think it
would be that hot in your house.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Molly does this, but my other bullies don't.

2bulliefamily

Nov 17, 2010
Mobile, AL
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Brodie
Brodie does not do that when taking naps or sleeping in his bed or on the couch, but if he sleeps/naps by the front door (all glas) and the sun is coming in...does not take long for him to wake up and he is doing that...panting and warm to the touch. He loves napping there though...funny because I don't notice Lola doing that.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
That is the 3rd reason why we don't allow Vegas to sleep in our bed, he gets to hot and starts panting, which keeps us up.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Vegas does this all the time...in fact, I often wonder if the heat causes him to have seizures. Usually, he will get cold and crawl under the covers to the end of the bed. I often wake up because of his panting...and sometime seizure. So, be careful. Make sure your pup has access to clean fresh water. Panting is the only way for these guys to cool down, and with their breathing problems..sometimes its difficult to get there.

Lacey28

Community Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Windsor Ontario Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Silva and Stella
Silva does this at night time. We have a ceiling fan and a mobile fan blowing in our room and she has to stay at the bottom of the bed and she usually doesnt pant. She does get up at least once a night to get a drink of water.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Bentley ALWAYS did this! Linus to a lesser extent and Truman does it also. They just get hot so easily!

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Haven't noticed my girls doing this, but they don't sleep in our bed. Last summer they were so young, maybe this summer when it gets hot, they'll do it. Hard to say. Sounds like they're all different.

L

Lucy-licious

As i'm sure we all know bullies n heat dont mix, an over heated bully can be a very poorly bully
As long as hes just panting and as long as u make sure he gets plenty water and take action to cool him down it shouldnt be a problem :)

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
Cassie was always panting. We had to keep the ceiling fan on all year long for her and she would still pant. It was freaking cold in there in the winter with the fan! In the summer we put her bed right in front of the A/C vent. bout the only time she didn't pant.

sheila

Community Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Butler
butler does this. i do this. lol. we both are hot sleepers. :yes: he pants for a couple minutes, then falls back asleep.

OP
bullylover4ever

bullylover4ever

Dec 30, 2010
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
not named yet
thanks everybody!!! I feel much better :whew:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online