Entropion Surgery

Tanker

Dec 29, 2010
Parkersburg, WV
Bulldog(s) Names
Tanker or Tank or Tankie..Depends on his expression.
I took Tank to the vet last Friday and had his eye checked because he keeps it closed more than the other one and tends to have (for lack of better words) eye boogers in it. Does anyone have experience regarding entropion surgery? Tank may need it for his left eye. We are trying an antibiotic ointment and it seems to help some.

Here's a picture of his eye:
xmas dog 006a.jpg

Last edited:

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
AAaw poor tank!! I am keeping my fingers crossed the ointment works! Vegas had a bad episode with this when he had a severe ear infection, antibiotics, steroids, ear antibiotics and eye ointment cleared him right up.

slroman

Jan 1, 2011
Dekalb, Il.
Bulldog(s) Names
Chowder & Karma
Karma had Entropion surgery on both her eyes. She now has no eye problems and she healed quickly. I don't regret doing it. She looks more beautiful too. like a doggie eye lift :D

bfletch13

Community Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Jozi, Wales
I have never heard of this but that is
to my surprise being Jozi is my first
Bullie. Please keep us updated as to his
condition.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I was told Jesse and Tidus needed surgery but now neither of them have issues because I found the right food. It took a long time to finally find it. I guess I am saying that dont get the surgery unless the vet is CERTAIN he needs it. My vets wanted to do surgery and it was not necessary in my case, their eyes were swollen so that is why the lashes were going inward. Every vet I have questioned this question and they always say yes:

"Is it possible that his eyes are just swollen causing the lids to roll inward from allergies?" My answer from all: Yes, it is.

But it would take less time to get the surgery then trying foods until you find the right one. I went to Fromm grain free.

Last edited:

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
Tanker - Chunk probably needs the surgery too - my vet suggested I go to an opthamologist first to be sure that is what he needs. She did various tests first - checked his tear production, checked to be sure he had no scratches etc. and now he has eye drops and ointment (real fun trying to get BOTH in his eyes!) to protect his cornea.

Desertsky - that is VERY interesting. I am DEFINITELY going to ask the opthamologist about the diet as well.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=1081]Chunksmama[/MENTION]

I had a horrible experience with my opthomologist. Nicest guy you would ever meet. But after $1000 to avoid surgery, he tells me Tidus needed surgery.

If it were me, I would wait to go forward on seeing the opt. until he has been on the ointment and drops for a week. What did your vet prescribe? Did the vet do a stain to see if there was any ulcers or scratches?

[MENTION=1655]Tanker[/MENTION] how is your bully's eye doing?

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=1081]Chunksmama[/MENTION]

I had a horrible experience with my opthomologist. Nicest guy you would ever meet. But after $1000 to avoid surgery, he tells me Tidus needed surgery.

If it were me, I would wait to go forward on seeing the opt. until he has been on the ointment and drops for a week. What did your vet prescribe? Did the vet do a stain to see if there was any ulcers or scratches?

[MENTION=1655]Tanker[/MENTION] how is your bully's eye doing?

Yes - she's done the eye stain twice to check for ulcers/scratches (the last one she had another vet in the practice look too) and she did a tear production test as well both times. (Chunk looked like a clown, it was pretty funny! :lol: Anyway, since this is the second time it has happened and doesn't seem to be getting better, that is why she suggested the opthamologist. Both times he was on a neopolydex drop (first time it helped slightly, this time it didn't at all). Now he's on a neopolydex ointment and artificial tears. I may call and ask her if I can try benadryl before I go to the opthamologist to see if it's allergies first. The worst part is that it has so much mucus/tears that are running into his wrinkles, I have to keep using panalog cream to prevent him from getting a skin infection. So this problem is affecting him in so many ways!

I'm pretty happy with all she's done so far - we got him in July and within the first month we saw the her 3 times for skin infections and ear infections. Since changing his food, it's just this darn eye! I've actually considered taking him to a vet in NY ... apparently he's like "THE" bulldog guy to go to ... Howard Stern talks about how his bullies have been the healthiest EVER since they've seen this vet. Problem is - I'm sure it will be expensive and it's an hour trip for us. Chunk likes the car but that's a big, long day!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh I feel your pain right now!!! Eye boogers is usually a sign of allergies. If I were you, I would try a grain free diet, preferably one without chicken. Many of our members have had much success with Fromm and natures variety instinct for allergies. I had tidus on both, and he was not any better, until I discovered chicken is one of the most allergic protiens. Even some formulas, example from surf and turf, has chicken in it. When I tried Fromm chicken, all he'll broke loose!!! That is when I made the connection. Now he is on the beef frittatta formula, and he is a brand new dog.

The Fromm has complete nutrition, no synthesized vitamins, and probiotics in writing. Human grade meats, fresh veggies, ect. You can get it from petflow.

Over the past year I tried an array of the best foods on the market, and through research we came up with our recommended dog foods. Keep us posted on how he does in the next week, I always found it took a few days for the antibiotics to start working.

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
I will definitely keep you posted ... this is week three of antibiotics (the original was an antibiotic/steroid drop but they didn't help at all, so the senior vet at the hospital said to take him off those cause it could actually hurt his eyes). Thanks for the info! I'll look into changing his food as well!

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] - I can't help but keep thinking about the chicken reaction you mentioned and am thinking I'm definitely going to try changing his food again. He's got a few hot spots under his chin that we thought was from the way he chews on his toys, etc (his whole face gets hot spots around his mouth when we give him any soft, stuffed animal like toys so we thought it was from his saliva on his bed when he chews his bones) but now I'm wondering if it's a chicken allergy! Just found that they sell Fromm right by my house too. :) Thanks so much for the info!

OP
Tanker

Tanker

Dec 29, 2010
Parkersburg, WV
Bulldog(s) Names
Tanker or Tank or Tankie..Depends on his expression.
Our vet gave us the ointment for his eye. They also did the tear test and the dye to check for scratches. Tears were great and no scratches. I really don't think that Tank's problem is from allergies as it is only one eye. I don't believe that we have an opthamologist in our small town. She referred us to one of associates that she works with that has alot of experience with the type surgery. I was relieved that she was honest enough to say that she doesn't do that type of surgery and referred us on to the right person. It is going to probably cost around $350. Some days it looks great and we think that oh it really doesn't need it, but then a few days later when he has slept all day long it's iritated. Still alittle scared to do it.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.