Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
The Explanation Behind Canine ā€œKissesā€

by VETDEPOT on JULY 16, 2014

Like it or not, thereā€™s a good chance your dog isnā€™t shy about licking your face. Some people find this adorable, while others find these ā€œkissesā€ a little gross. Either way, youā€™ve probably wondered why dogs display this behavior.

Below are four reasons why dogs choose to use their slobbery tongues:

1.) As a sensory tool: Just like touch or smell, taste is another way to explore something. Dogs may lick someone they donā€™t know all that well to learn more about them.

2.) To get attention: Dogs sometimes just want to remind their owners that theyā€™re there and would love some attention. Itā€™s like theyā€™re saying ā€œpet me, Iā€™m cute!ā€

3.) To ask for something they want: Puppies lick their mothers prior to feeding, so some dogs might lick their humans to get something they want. These desires might include food, treats, or maybe even a walk.

4.) Itā€™s a learned behavior: Chances are, your dog loves you and is passing along a learned behavior from his or her canine mother. Their mom licked them and now theyā€™re licking you. Plus, many dogs have realized that licking gets them a positive reaction, so they do it more often.

If your dogā€™s licking becomes excessive, this may be an obsessive-compulsive behavior. Discuss any questions or concerns with your dogā€™s veterinarian or an animal behaviorist.

Share and Enjoy:

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Thanks for the info. Yes, I receive kisses when I am making my lunch. So I reciprocate with a piece of cheese.

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
The Explanation Behind Canine ā€œKissesā€

by VETDEPOT on JULY 16, 2014

Like it or not, thereā€™s a good chance your dog isnā€™t shy about licking your face. Some people find this adorable, while others find these ā€œkissesā€ a little gross. Either way, youā€™ve probably wondered why dogs display this behavior.

Below are four reasons why dogs choose to use their slobbery tongues:

1.) As a sensory tool: Just like touch or smell, taste is another way to explore something. Dogs may lick someone they donā€™t know all that well to learn more about them.

2.) To get attention: Dogs sometimes just want to remind their owners that theyā€™re there and would love some attention. Itā€™s like theyā€™re saying ā€œpet me, Iā€™m cute!ā€

3.) To ask for something they want: Puppies lick their mothers prior to feeding, so some dogs might lick their humans to get something they want. These desires might include food, treats, or maybe even a walk.

4.) Itā€™s a learned behavior: Chances are, your dog loves you and is passing along a learned behavior from his or her canine mother. Their mom licked them and now theyā€™re licking you. Plus, many dogs have realized that licking gets them a positive reaction, so they do it more often.

If your dogā€™s licking becomes excessive, this may be an obsessive-compulsive behavior. Discuss any questions or concerns with your dogā€™s veterinarian or an animal behaviorist.

Share and Enjoy:

What is it then when we kiss our baby's??

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
well that depends Jimmy if you kiss them or lick them back.

That depends on who it is
sa5ehy5y.jpg

Or
pe2yse8y.jpg

Or when I am grumpy
4asesy3y.jpg

Lol

Members online

No members online now.