Potty training and biting questions!

emrios

Jul 16, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Hello everyone,
So I've had Lola for a few days now and although she's only 6 weeks old, she's already got the potty pad routine down. I'm very proud of her for that, but I need some advice on the best way to get her to go outside now. I live in an apartment on the second floor so it takes a few minutes to get to a good grassy area. Is this the best time to start training her to go outside or should I wait until she's a little older?

Also, she's been playfully biting everyone's arms, feet and hands/fingers. I bought her toys but how can I get her to stop? I know she means no harm, but I don't want her to get in the habit.

ydasu2yv.jpg

y3u3ymab.jpg

me4y2evy.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Hi! She is a little cutie pie! Since she is only six weeks and has not had all her shots-and you live in an apartment,not a private home, I would wait to take her out until she has had ALL of her shots. There are probably other people with dogs who walk them in the area you will go, and she could pick up an illness, or infection pottying where other dogs have been. Not all people have their dogs up to date on things.
Also, it will take a lot of patience and repitition to stop the biting. get some safe toys, such as nylabones for her to chew on and whenever she bites you, say "no bite" and stick a toy in her mouth and say "here, bite this!" You will probably have to keep this up until after she loses her puppy teeth. AND enjoy the potty pad thing-because they are really good at first, and then they forget all about it!! Patience and repeat!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So so sweet! 6 weeks... so young to be away from Momma already.

A few tips for you.... potty, she can only hold her bladder for about 2 hrs tops right now so that is a good guideline to help in trips outside. Poo breaks will be about 15 mins after eating and playing. Biting -- it is best to give a good 'OUCH' and redirect to a toy or bone that is hers for the chewing.

best of luck with her.... she is precious

luvmybully

May 19, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker
Awwwwh she can bite me anytime!!!

BulldogMomma

Mar 18, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King George
How adorable!! We had George in an apartment (2nd floor) as a puppy and potty training went pretty smoothly. My husband didn't want to use potty pads so we would take G out after he ate and like [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] said about every 1.5-2 hours. He was able to hold his bladder and get on a schedule. Schedule is key! Good Luck!

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
Hi! She is a little cutie pie! Since she is only six weeks and has not had all her shots-and you live in an apartment,not a private home, I would wait to take her out until she has had ALL of her shots. There are probably other people with dogs who walk them in the area you will go, and she could pick up an illness, or infection pottying where other dogs have been. Not all people have their dogs up to date on things.
Also, it will take a lot of patience and repitition to stop the biting. get some safe toys, such as nylabones for her to chew on and whenever she bites you, say "no bite" and stick a toy in her mouth and say "here, bite this!" You will probably have to keep this up until after she loses her puppy teeth. AND enjoy the potty pad thing-because they are really good at first, and then they forget all about it!! Patience and repeat!

Soooo darn cute!!! Wanna have her ;). I would wait too like [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] said. Her immune system is all out whack and not fully developed yet. We live in an apartment too. With my boy, i always go out after playing, nap, drink, eat. And in between those times we go every one hour or so like what [MENTION=3109]bullymama[/MENTION] said. We didn't encourage Bifi to play-bite from the get go. When he touches us with his mouth i walk away and play time over or i walk away give him another toy. And yes i also yelp "ouch" lol and tell him no. We also told everyone (friends and neighbor) not to put their hands in his mouth or to let him bite them and yes they did complain told me "it's natural for a puppy to play bite". I told them "well not my dog because i would want him to play with small kids too" and that shuts them up lol.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Jewel is a heavy chewer ever since we brought her home. We started her and Bentley with Nyla Bones plus many many toys for both of them to choose from. Right now Lola has puppy teeth....very sharp and she is teething. With Jewel and now Bentley is constant vigilance watching what they pick-up with and put in their mouth. You will find Lola can find things on the floor that you would not. Have fun and take alot of pics because Lola will grow fast.

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
Nylabone makes a soft rubbery 'puppy bone' that was like crack to my puppies. I'm not sure how we would have made it through without a house full of them :)

OP
E

emrios

Jul 16, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Thanks for all the advice!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts