Feeding bowls - what height?

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Castor has stainless steel bowls on a stand - bowls are just off the floor. We got the bowls when he was a pup and they seem a bit low now. Castor is a year old so full height more or less.

We need to get the bowls up a bit as he almost tips over when eating and he seems to get the food (he eats raw) in his nose. After feeding he rubs cheeks and nose against rugs and couch.

Having read about risks of bloat etc I'd like to check what height off the floor you recommend?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I never had our at anything elevated.... just sit them on the floor. But, if I were to elevate, I'd probably have them ay shoulder height or a little less

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I never had our at anything elevated.... just sit them on the floor. But, if I were to elevate, I'd probably have them ay shoulder height or a little less

Thanks - directly on the floor would of course be the easiest solution but Castor actually tips over when he eats so that doesn't really work. His hind legs actually lift off the floor so he spreads them out like a giraffe. I think he would be more comfortable with a slightly higher bowl. We have an extra really big bowl of water which is easy for him to drink from, but when it comes to food he needs to reach the bottom of the bowl, of course.

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
When Goob was a puppy, I would put his food on a step outside. A little elevation while being outside...the mess was minimal. Whenever he finished, I would clean his face and let him back in.

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
When Goob was a puppy, I would put his food on a step outside. A little elevation while being outside...the mess was minimal. Whenever he finished, I would clean his face and let him back in.

That's a good idea! We live in a flat so no outdoor steps but I could put the bowl up on a box or something.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.