11 months english bulldog fear

bitondm

Feb 22, 2014
Country
israel
Bulldog(s) Names
phpo
Hello guys my 11 m english bulldog showing signs of fear Mostly when he encounters new objects like: Garbage bag,lace, big box, Vacuum cleaner and many more I really trying help him with Exposure to dogs, people, objects while encouraging him that it's fun game, he is very Timid, often out of fear is breathing heavily and really became nervous,he likes other dogs, people what should I do to To avoid this type of Beauvoir
Please help me

Send from iPhone using Tap talk

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Welcome to the world of bulldogs! Fear can be their middle name! Bogey is afraid of many different things, sometime without any rhyme or reason! He is afraid of ONE of my kitchen chairs- they are identical, but one of them causes him to cower and sneak by it every time he enters the kitchen! Aluminum foil coming out of the pantry will send him racing at high speed to the other side of the house. If my neighbors have company and a new car is in the driveway, he sits and growls at it. If they put their trash bin in a different place, he is totally freaked. He does not mind thunder or fireworks, but the sound of me opening a trash bag sends him in a scary frenzy. He hates the vacuum, but will sit in front of the leaf blower with not even a thought of running. Basically, I ignore the behavior and go on about my business near the object that has him scared. He eventually comes around. Just don't go overboard reassuring him- that sometimes causes more anxiety. Act like its no big deal, and he will catch on!

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
My girl Boeboe is the same, fearful of everything new. If I move things around or buy new stuff for the house she's not happy:mellow: She's gotten way better in time though, she used to be much worse. When she was young she spent two days barking and refusing to walk past a clock that I hang on the wall, lol. I think if you just continue to introduce him to new things he'll get better:)

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
Hello guys my 11 m english bulldog showing signs of fear Mostly when he encounters new objects like: Garbage bag,lace, big box, Vacuum cleaner and many more I really trying help him with Exposure to dogs, people, objects while encouraging him that it's fun game, he is very Timid, often out of fear is breathing heavily and really became nervous,he likes other dogs, people what should I do to To avoid this type of Beauvoir
Please help me

Send from iPhone using Tap talk

My boy is like that. He startles easily and is afraid of new things in the house, the trash can moving, people with big hats, etc. This is what we are doing with him and it is appearing to be doing wonders with his confidence:
1.Playgroups. Not just the dog park where his owners are there all the time, but actual doggie playgroups that we leave him for several hours. (It helps build confidence when we are not around to run back to)
2. Agility training. Not sure where you are located but there are agility centers for dogs here with trainers. Leo was terrified of the ramps and tunnels and we never thought he would break those fears. With positive training using treats and squeakers and lots of patience, he was doing it all after two 30 minute sessions.
3. Swimming. When Lola had her knee surgery she started hydro therapy. Leo came along. Its basically a pool where the dog gets a life jacket and is helped along by a person. His first day his little lip was quivering because he was so scared, now he can't wait to go.
Those are just a few things we have doe and have seen a huge improvement. The main thing is patience. If he is scared of something (a broom, lets say), don't automatically remove it. put it on the ground and let him come around in his own time. Use positive reinforcement such as treats or toys to get him to come close and then ultimately learn to ignore it. These things really work but it takes time and the dog can't be forced. Good luck!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Oh gosh where to begin. Fears in bullies are totally normal. To what degree is different for each one. My Harlea hates the vacuum, but loves the hair dryer. She freaks out at the sound of the lawn mower but not the blower. She eats leaves off the ground yet if one is blowing in the wind it is evil and out to get her.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
as otheres have stated... standard operating procedure for our little OCD, inanimated object fearing Bulldogs!

Banks hate trash bags, vacuum cleaner, brooms and the like.

Most Reactions

Members online