Do your bullies go on walks?

Emmitt E

Nov 1, 2010
Emmitt is 4 months old and is earning the reputation of being the laziest dog ever. :)
My 10 year old pug goes on 2 long walks a day. Emmitt, not so much. He'd rather wait in the yard until we get back.

Is this normal? If this is a normal trait I guess I'll quit trying to force the issue. Or can I turn him into a walking pup?

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Not sure about everyone elses bully but Samson does enjoy walks. He gets tired after 30-45 minutes. I would never expect him to make it past 45 minutes so normally we just go to the local park and walk around until he is tired and starts walking behind me LOL Then we go home and its always in that 30-45 min range. And this is never high speed walking, just cruising, alot of stopping and exploring.

Lacey28

Community Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Windsor Ontario Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Silva and Stella
Silva loves her walks when she was a puppy she would walk about a block or so then sit and would not move so we would have to carry her. We just kept practicing. Now she walks about 30 minutes or so depending on the weather. We have all 4 seasons here it, can be so hot to crazy cold to rainy and windy!

bfletch13

Community Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Jozi, Wales
Jozi is only 9 week sold. But we do go
on a short walk each evening. We walk
to the end of the block and back. Its only
about 4 houses down. But she seems to
like it and doesn't put up much of a fuss
about going.

Jan 11, 2011
We are located in beautiful Montana
Bulldog(s) Names
Gretchen, Paige, Bella, and Fred
Here in Montana its very cold durring the winter so I put my bullies on the treadmill :) They love it and I walk them on it for 20 mins per day. I wasnt sure at first how they would like it but they really enjoy it. Durring the summer we take short walks after dinner.
Amber
Big Sky English Bulldogs

Last edited by a moderator:

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
Unfortunately my area isn't condusive for safe walks. We have insane 4 wheelers, go kart, and dirt bike riders and to walk is to be in the road with no where to really go if they are coming.

I usually have my dogs on a leash when I take them to the bathroom outside because my yard is not fenced. Periodically, though I shouldn't, I let them run around, they do stay near me but I get nervous.

Bottom line is Bear does crazy piggy runs around the yard and pees on everything, i can't let him do it too much because he takes a long time to calm down afterwards.

OP
Emmitt E

Emmitt E

Nov 1, 2010
Ok, so maybe I'll keep working with him. When we harness him up we have to drag him down the street. As soon as we turn back towards the house he starts walking at a normal pace just to get back home.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Ok, so maybe I'll keep working with him. When we harness him up we have to drag him down the street. As soon as we turn back towards the house he starts walking at a normal pace just to get back home.

[MENTION=1443]Emmitt E[/MENTION] I forgot to add when Samson was a pup he didn't like to walk, it was probably that he didn't like being leashed. Just takes time, he grew out of it in a month or 2, and getting used to being on the leash.

LisaRN

Apr 24, 2010
Buffalo NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester
oh..oh.. Chester is SO bad with walks. We don't walk him right now because it is so cold outside. But this past summer..oh my goodness.. he was BAD, BAD about walking. I had to keep treats in my pocket and give him one every few houses to keep going. :angry: I hope he is better this coming spring.. he's so cute that it's fun to walk him and show him off :luv: But he is a STINKER with walking :down:

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
I don't take Gertie and Ida out on walks, they get plenty of exercise running around our back yard. They're both really good on a leash tho. My granddaughter takes them for a walk to go get our mail sometimes, and they're on a leash when we go to the vet or Petsmart. They seem to like walking on a leash okay.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Vegas loves to walk but about 20 min. tops, by then he is panting and dragging his feet. He walks very well, I do not walk him every day it depends on the weather here in Fl. this summer we rarely walked because even in the evenings it would be high 80's, now it is winter and for instance today it was 55* out and we did a 20 min. walk, I love to walk him because he is out like a light when we get back home!!

2bulliefamily

Nov 17, 2010
Mobile, AL
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Brodie
Not sure, don't do much of that. Lola and Brodie hang out and run around in the yard, but Brodie (who is almost 4 months) is pretty active. Sometimes drives me insane all the running around because he loves doing that in the house with my 3 yeard old bullie. We have not started training Brodie on the leash yet, that will be fun...Lola sure was. Love your bullies name and he such a cutie! Love the pic in your signature.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Both Abby and Bella were great walkers. Abby is too old and we have to wheel her in a wagon, but Bella is ready to go every time. She took a long time to get used to her harness, maybe that is the issue. I changed her to one because she is a puller and it is easier on a harness. Good luck, maybe Bella and Emmit can get together and she can encourage him to walk with her.

OP
Emmitt E

Emmitt E

Nov 1, 2010
Ok. That sounds like a good idea.

I dropped Emmitt off at the vet today for his neuter. He was so excited. He ran into the back and didn't even say bye to me. :)

2bulliefamily

Nov 17, 2010
Mobile, AL
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Brodie
Awee Emmitt getting his boyhood cut......Brodie's boyhood was taken care of by breeder too early in my opinion but his thingies were not dropping so according to my breeder her vet recommended it...I will say she called and asked us if that is what we were going to do, etc, and got our okay and kept us updated because I was so worried about him. He did great and she said that night he was sleepy tired but the next day back to his normal self. Good luck to Emmitt.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.