We just joined the reject club

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
Well I mentioned that we were looking to adopt a 5 year old 75 lb EB. That's when I asked to see everyone's 75 lb bulldog to have an idea of how big he was.
Today I was rejected.
Reason: He has chronic ear issues and the fact that my Lola might need another knee surgery in the future will be to much for me to handle.
How do they know what's too much to handle for me???
Oh well, not meant to be I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Wow..hearing stories like this way too often lately. Good people like you trying to help and rescue but getting shut down by judgmental people who probably have no idea what they're doing...who are they to tell you what's too much for you? That's bullsh*t.

Bazza

Jun 22, 2013
Melbourne Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Bazza
Sorry to hear :(, its crazy, its up to you to decide how much you can handle, shame some of these bullies are missing very loving homes.

But I guess they think they are doing the right thing, they mostly likely see so many cases where the bullie is brought back to rescue because new owners can not handle it !

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wow..hearing stories like this way too often lately. Good people like you trying to help and rescue but getting shut down by judgmental people who probably have no idea what they're doing...who are they to tell you what's too much for you? That's bullsh*t.

Agreed!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
:(. Not fair

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Aww I'm sorry, you were turned down for adopting, I agree with both scenarios, but I think they sometimes lump everyone in the same basket. They may see people who adopt and then they return them when it becomes too much, but they also shouldn't assume that everyone will do this, and if you can show them that you have the space, time, commitment, and they can see that you take care of your other bully, so you also have experience with the breed, then they should consider you as a responsible bully owner. It's a shame that good homes are being rejected, and these bullies aren't getting new homes. There is such a need for good homes, and because they aren't allowing people like you to adopt, people go elsewhere and buy puppies, while older dogs are sitting in foster homes and shelters waiting for homes. It's the same with adopting human children, I know two people that I work with, who were turned down for adopting children. Both are super great people who love children, but can't have kids of their own. They were both told they are too old to adopt a child and were turned down. They are both in their 40's, so still young enough, they both are established, in stable long term marriages, own their own homes, one lady is a Hygenist married to a Fire Fighter, the other is a Dental Treatment Coordinator, and her husband is an engineer. They can provide a stable, loving home, can support these children, and yet they are told they are too old. How many children are in the Foster care system, being shuffled from home to home, and in the system with no stable home, and yet there are people who want to adopt and aren't being allowed. I don't understand this. I hope you find a bully to adopt.

OP
agentbunny

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
He has stenotic ear canals which means they have narrowed so much due to ear infections not being treated correctly that there is almost no opening left. He needs medicine every day in his ears with the worst case scenario being total ear canal ablation. That means removing the canals if they get hardened and painful. I was even willing to do that of it came to it . Don't really know what else they are looking for. I promised myself not to get upset over it.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
He has stenotic ear canals which means they gave narrowed so much due to ear infections not being treated correctly. He needs medicine every day in his ears with the worst case scenario being total ear canal ablation. That means removing the canals that are hardened and painful. I was even willing to do that of it came to it . Don't really know what else they are looking for. I promised myself not to get upset over it.

Dont get upset, there's a bully waiting just for you out there ;)

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
Oh [MENTION=10206]agentbunny[/MENTION], this is happening to good loving families way too much!!! Look at all the rescues that are begging for families to take these babies in..... I'm so sorry but I just know that karma will bring you the love that you put out there!!!!!

OP
agentbunny

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
Aww I'm sorry, you were turned down for adopting, I agree with both scenarios, but I think they sometimes lump everyone in the same basket. They may see people who adopt and then they return them when it becomes too much, but they also shouldn't assume that everyone will do this, and if you can show them that you have the space, time, commitment, and they can see that you take care of your other bully, so you also have experience with the breed, then they should consider you as a responsible bully owner. It's a shame that good homes are being rejected, and these bullies aren't getting new homes. There is such a need for good homes, and because they aren't allowing people like you to adopt, people go elsewhere and buy puppies, while older dogs are sitting in foster homes and shelters waiting for homes. It's the same with adopting human children, I know two people that I work with, who were turned down for adopting children. Both are super great people who love children, but can't have kids of their own. They were both told they are too old to adopt a child and were turned down. They are both in their 40's, so still young enough, they both are established, in stable long term marriages, own their own homes, one lady is a Hygenist married to a Fire Fighter, the other is a Dental Treatment Coordinator, and her husband is an engineer. They can provide a stable, loving home, can support these children, and yet they are told they are too old. How many children are in the Foster care system, being shuffled from home to home, and in the system with no stable home, and yet there are people who want to adopt and aren't being allowed. I don't understand this. I hope you find a bully to adopt.

You are right, of course. I spoke to the rep at length last week, explaining how Lola has had so many issues that I have dealt with in her first year from her allergies to her seizures to her patella surgery. The point of this was to let her know that I am committed to my dogs finically and let nothing go untreated. I am fortunate to be in a position to do that which is why I am willing to take on a dog with health issues. I never dreamed that it would be the reason I would get rejected. The most important thing for me is that the new dog be able to get along with my two at home and not have established dog aggression issues.
To be fair, she did say that they were getting a new surrender and I would be considered as a foster once she knew more about the dog. I am not upset really. I know I love my dogs and take great care of them. They are happy and healthy. If I can help another dog by fostering I will. I just don't get it, that's all.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Yeah, I don't get it either, it doesn't make sense, and it doesn't seem fair that you aren't accepted because they have made the decision for you that you can't provide for this dog. If you are willing and you have shown that you are already an experienced EB parent, and that you are responsible and in a position to provide, then you should be allowed to adopt.can you not call them back, and speak to someone higher up, and explain this, and maybe have them reconsider?

OP
agentbunny

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
Yeah, I don't get it either, it doesn't make seshe, and it doesn't seem fair that you aren't accepted because they have made the decision for you that you can't provide for this dog. If you are willing and you have shown that you are already an experienced EB parent, and that you are responsible and in a position to provide, then you should be allowed to adopt.
can you not call them back, and speak to someone higher up, and explain this, and maybe have them reconsider?

I guess I could, but for me, the bigger picture was to help a dog. I don't want to get in an argument with anyone about how great I think I would be for that specific dog when they already have their mind made up. Who knows the real reason? For all I know, maybe she didn't like the sound of my voice when we talked. The bigger picture for me is to help a bulldog. Any bulldog I suppose. I chose that specific one to adopt because he was not dog aggressive or too advanced in age and I felt he would be able to fit in with my social and highly playful duo. I'll tell you though, it sure makes it hard to recommend a rescue to people wanting a bulldog when I can't even fit the criteria. :facepalm2:
It all made me think of that movie "Best in Show". For those who have not seen it, stream it on Netflix. SO funny and true!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I understand they they are trying to do their best for the dogs-but they are not being fair, turning people down-not giving home visits just deciding over the phone. Many people get discouraged and go buy a pup, who would have rescued.

Julzz9170

Apr 15, 2014
New jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fatso, Romeo
I know how you feel about this.. We were also turned down a few years ago by a rescue in New Jersey ..basically we were told we didn't have enough experience with bulldogs and it was frustrating because how do you get experience and when we know the right thing is to adopt..we had no other pets, older children, a fenced in yard and a great vet reference and plenty of time for the dog but they said no..we ended up finding not 1 but 2 boys that needed homes and they are the loves of my life!! And spoiled rotten to boot so keep you're chin up.. It seems like even on this site thee are quite a few bulldogs that need rehoming and maybe one of them could be right for you.. Even years ago I tried to adopt a cat through petsmart after my older cat passed from liver problems and they took so long to get back to me..almost 2 months that I had already gotten a kitten from someone I knew by that time..I feel like a lot of rescues like to keep it in their circle and are judgemental if they don't know you..now that I have 2 bulldogs I've been asked several times if I can take another in..it's just crazy how that works??

Most Reactions