brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Ok bully experts, I really need some hardcore advice/opionions here. Ever since we got Frankie I have fed Brutus separately from the other dogs because Brutus would guard his food a little bit. Nothing too bad that a quick correction couldn't fix. Ok so fast forward a few months, and I noticed that after Brutus was given his food and Frankie was inside eating his food, Brutus would go to the closed gate and bark and growl. If I told him to stop he would but would then come back and do it again. So I would pick up his food until he sat and understood that I did not want him doing this. OK so by the way he is ok with snack. I have no idea why. It has gotten to the point that the other day I had the refrigerator open and he backed off the other dogs who were just standing there. There was no food being given to them. Last night we were sitting at the dining room table and all of a sudden I hear barking and growling from under the table. Brutus was trying to get Frankie away from laying under the table!! I put Brutus in his crate for the rest of the meal. All poor Frankie wanted to do was lay at our feet like him and Brutus usually do. This seems to me to be escalating and I want to nip it quick. HELP!!!! My baby is being a brat!
I should clarify that Brutus never had a problem with any other dog except my black lab molly. Before I could feed Brutus and my two labs in the same room and if he backed off molly I would tell him to stop and he would. When we got Frankie, we had to keep them separate for about a month and a half so feeding them together was really out of the question.

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
How old are they? Some dogs turn into bratty "teenagers". Seems to be around 2 years old.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Ok I'm NOT an expert, but I would think that anytime a dog acts out of character you need to make sure it's not a medical issue. Is he in pain? Jump down off the furniture or something? Usually when Roxie acts out of character for her I know that she's not feeling herself. If that is ruled out I think that Brutus is trying to be the Alpha… I will tag the experts on that one… I hope this gets resolved for you soon Rosalie!!! @2BullyMama [MENTION=9105]Pati Robins[/MENTION] [MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION]

OP
brutus77

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
How old are they? Some dogs turn into bratty "teenagers". Seems to be around 2 years old.
Brutus is 20 months, so quickly approaching 2. Frankie just turned 3 but he isn't the problem. It is my little darling Bru Bru.

OP
brutus77

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ok I'm NOT an expert, but I would think that anytime a dog acts out of character you need to make sure it's not a medical issue. Is he in pain? Jump down off the furniture or something? Usually when Roxie acts out of character for her I know that she's not feeling herself. If that is ruled out I think that Brutus is trying to be the Alpha… I will tag the experts on that one… I hope this gets resolved for you soon Rosalie!!! @2BullyMama @Pati Robins @cali baker

Brutus has been displaying this for too long I think for it to be medical. He has enough medical issues that when he isn't feeling good he his just a general PITA. That's how I know he is getting an ear infection cuz he Jimmy Super Fly Snookers every doggie in the house. Ok, for those of you that don't know, you can google Jimmy Super Fly. I really think maybe he is trying to be alpha, but how do I stop it.

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Brutus has been displaying this for too long I think for it to be medical. He has enough medical issues that when he isn't feeling good he his just a general PITA. That's how I know he is getting an ear infection cuz he Jimmy Super Fly Snookers every doggie in the house. Ok, for those of you that don't know, you can google Jimmy Super Fly. I really think maybe he is trying to be alpha, but how do I stop it.

That I'm NOT an expert on… sorry, I've only had girl dogs before Winston/Wellie/Walter. I tagged the alpha dog experts… Lol

OP
brutus77

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
That I'm NOT an expert on… sorry, I've only had girl dogs before Winston/Wellie/Walter. I tagged the alpha dog experts… Lol

Um...I'm not sure where your mind is, but this is Jimmy Super Fly Snooker!! Lol
images

9k=

9k=

images

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Um...I'm not sure where your mind is, but this is Jimmy Super Fly Snooker!! Lol
images

9k=

9k=

OMG… :rofl: THAT must be fun to witness… I think we need video of this one… Lol

OP
brutus77

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
OMG… :rofl: THAT must be fun to witness… I think we need video of this one… Lol
Sure as I'm trying to save poor unsuspecting doggies from Brucifer, I will video the melee!!!

OP
brutus77

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
:hijacked: I do this to myself all the time. Ok back on track, my baby needs help before I ship him off to military school.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Rosalie, your Brutus is similar to Finn.
Finn likes to be "boss" to Tate and knows he can b/c Tate usually backs off when Finn starts throwing his wt. around.

I will give u example: This morning as both were eating breakfast, Finn finished first. He walks over to Tate as he's eating and literally positions his entire body over Tate's food bowl and growls at him. This happened before and of course, is not acceptable behavior.

When this happens I first say a stern NO (in a very manly, firm, stern voice), and if that doesn't make Finn back off, i will clap loudly or bang on a table. Once he's backed off a little from Tate I will then make Finn stay in a "down" position until I release him. It takes a lot of effort and patience but i do this as best i can and as consistently as possible. This will let Finn know that if he does this type of behavior then these are the consequences (following some basic commands, remaining in a "stay" position, etc..).

Finn's behaviors have improved over the years but there are still incidents like this morning's that happen. I think it's his "personality" (or dog-ality) and something that i have to work with vs. trying to change.

not sure if that helped at all.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Another thing to try: Feed Frankie first or put his food bowl down first, then give Brutus his (after he sits or whatever other command u want to give him). When i put the bowls down for T/F I make them sit first and then i count to 5 and then i say "take it" before they can start eating. Sometimes when they know there are more "rules" and boundaries they (or Brutus in your case) will know to behave better.

OP
brutus77

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
This does sound similar. When Brutus was getting really out of hand I started doing the sit and stay thing because I had remembered the nothing is for free video and I thought if I made him work for his food he would realize he is not in charge. I think if he repeats his attack under the table I will leash him and make him stay next to me. It breaks my heart to put him in his crate. He sits there looking pathetic.

Most Reactions